Dress for boarding ideas

tricia1563

Just wondering what's the best attire to wear when going to board. Is casual appropriate in case we have to wait too long? I don't want to dress up too much and be in high heels but also don't want to feel out of place. Be boarding QM2 in 11days at Fremantle.

Edited by tricia1563

How about smart and comfortable. Forget the high heels! More people dress this way for embarkation, but on leaving the ship I think you will see a distinct dress down by most folks.

Enjoy your trip. QM2 is wonderful.

This photo may help. While from a colder climate, boarding in Southampton in December, you can see the load favored comfortable clothing over high-dress, probably from traveling long hours/distances to board. I saw a few suits & ties, furs & heels, but the main load opted for comfort. For boarding in Freemantle the above posts seem on target, "smart and comfortable," something you'll feel good in at dinner in case of late luggage.

32367961_Screenshot2014-01-31at1_42_21PM.jpg.33a9fb6daec9a9ef055d0399e758929d.jpg

Just wondering what's the best attire to wear when going to board. Is casual appropriate in case we have to wait too long? I don't want to dress up too much and be in high heels but also don't want to feel out of place. Be boarding QM2 in 11days at Fremantle.

Hi Tricia, on our first QM2 trip back in 2011 we boarded in Fremantle and the temperature was 43 degrees © and will probably be in the high 30s on the 12th.

Fremantle terminal is not known for good airconditioning and we waited in the terminal back then for about 45 minutes.

I had good shorts and a t-shirt on (no flip-flops) and wasn't out of place.

Our baggage was in our cabin before we were so you shouldn't have any problems getting changed once on board. Freo is not a major embarkation port, unlike Sydney.

Dress for the temp and you'll be fine.

One suggestion is to wear something you will feel comfortable in for dinner the first night, just in case your luggage is late in arriving to your cabin.
That is a most practical and useful suggestion. Our luggage has never been that late finding us, but once it came close. So we always follow that advice, because one of these days ...

Not sure what people wear when boarding at Fremantle but at Southampton there is a motley assortment of dress. Some look as though they do regular business with the Oxfam shops, others look as though they are on day release, and just a few achieve the right balance.

However, on the first formal night one wonders where all those people disappeared to !!

I always dress up for boarding but those that have long trips to the port wouldn't......so I'm sure that explains the varied dress. :)

There is also security to go through, taking off belts, coats maybe shoes. You don't want anything too fussy.

I agree with Aussie_Flyer in that your luggage will be available before the first dinner time. Fremantle is much quieter than Sydney.

I'm embarking in Adelaide and as QM 2 is only going to Adelaide once this time, then it will be really quiet. Last time I wore a nice blouse and pants, with sandals. Remember also that as a sector there will be people departing on port excursions and casual dress is the norm for those people so there will be a range of dress styles.

The fact that you have even asked the question means that you will be fine in what you decide to wear

If you want to have a nice embarkation photo (and some people do :D) then that might be a consideration. I'm usually too weighed down by hand luggage and the "stress" of embarking to ever think I might get a nice photo so I'd happily avoid the snappers.

I'd ditch the high heels but wear nice sandals.

Edited by Pushka

That is a most practical and useful suggestion. Our luggage has never been that late finding us, but once it came close. So we always follow that advice, because one of these days ...

Just remember a previous post of mine where our luggage was on the QM2 and we were on the QE2 for a tandem crossing!

Just don't go looking at the newsreels from the 30s, 40s or 50s!

You don't have to wear furs or a morning suit to board a Cunard liner anymore. Smart Casual wear is sufficient.

I admit I like to dress up a little for boarding ships and planes. It makes travel a little more of a special experience for me.

Just don't take any short cuts on your way to boarding the ship, lest you end up ruining your clothes like movie star dressed Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced 'Bouquet'):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DZgQ6hx0Qag/SU2lZI9h27I/AAAAAAAAACc/85lxRafG95U/s400/KUA1.jpg

Just remember a previous post of mine where our luggage was on the QM2 and we were on the QE2 for a tandem crossing!

That had to be frustrating knowing your luggage was so near, yet so far. :). Luckily, normally that can't happen when boarding in Brooklyn.

This question is for this entire thread: Dress for boarding? Are you kidding me?? Is there really a suggested dress for boarding? Again, are you kidding me?

DW and I have boarded ships from four different cruiselines (none Cunard) in ports from San Juan to Vancouver. Dress for boarding is weather appropriate, nothing more. Shorts and a tee shirt in San Juan, a sweatshirt and jeans in Vancouver.

High heels? Are you kidding me? We will be boarding the QM2 in Southampton in May. Is a tux too much? Are you kidding me?

In all fairness, y'all might do things differently Down Under than us plain folk in the States.

Harvey

There is no suggested boarding attire by Cunard. Some just like to dress a little nicer because you will be in these same clothes, all over the ship, until changing for dinner. No reason to criticize those that prefer to be well dressed.

Some dress very elegant because they think they should. That is nice to see and remembers of the old times. They may want one of the embarkation photos...

But others come on board straight from a long distance flight or a long journey by car. Embarkation day is not a day with a lot of dress codes. Just feel comfortable and dress likewise.

Just don't go looking at the newsreels from the 30s, 40s or 50s!

You don't have to wear furs or a morning suit to board a Cunard liner anymore. Smart Casual wear is sufficient.

I admit I like to dress up a little for boarding ships and planes. It makes travel a little more of a special experience for me.

Just don't take any short cuts on your way to boarding the ship, lest you end up ruining your clothes like movie star dressed Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced 'Bouquet'):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DZgQ6hx0Qag/SU2lZI9h27I/AAAAAAAAACc/85lxRafG95U/s400/KUA1.jpg

Dear Cruiser,

In light of your recent post, your candlelight supper invitation must unfortunately be rescinded.

Sincerely,

Solicitor for the Bucket Family.

Edited by Blueacre

But others come on board straight from a long distance flight or a long journey by car. Embarkation day is not a day with a lot of dress codes. Just feel comfortable and dress likewise.

I absolutely agree that people should wear what works for them, and obviously the travelers will be dressed more casually for comfort. But I see no reason to belittle those that prefer to dress nicely for boarding. :)

Dear Cruiser,

In light of your recent post, your candlelight supper invitation must unfortunately be rescinded.

Sincerely,

Solicitor for the Bucket Family.

Some folks have all the luck.

Just don't go looking at the newsreels from the 30s, 40s or 50s! You don't have to wear furs or a morning suit to board a Cunard liner anymore...

One reason why miss winter Caribbean sailings is the excuse to do just that.:D

I do dress for boarding in a nice suit or dress appropriate for the weather. Including hat and gloves. (Gloves by Cornelia James - glove maker to Her Majesty I'll have you know.:p) I'm not going to board Queen Mary 2 dressed for the Staten Island Ferry. But that's just me.

From my memory, going back to the last half-dozen embarkations, most people don't dress like slobs as you would see at an airport. But as others have said: dressing up is not common. When travelling by ship, train or air I wear a blazer. It is not for appearance; it is easier to wear it than to pack it. We don't travel in summer; it keeps me warm on cool days and evenings. It has many pockets so I have a convenient place to put our passports, tickets/documents, wallet, etc. I don't usually bother with a tie at embarkation, but way back when I bought our embarkation photos I would wear one.