Sailing on the Conquest

bluejay555

This will be our 9th cruise and the FIRST EVER not out of New Orleans! We have never been to Fort Lauderdale and haven't been on the Conquest in years, so if anyone has any tips/advice on the port or the ship, that would be awesome! We will be driving, so what parking garage is at the port? Is the traffic really bad? I know in NO we'd sometimes sit in traffic for 20 min getting into the port.....

Also if anyone has any hotel recommendations for Fort Lauderdale area, that'd be great too. We generally like Hampton Inn but I'm noticing most in that area only get 3 out of 5 stars.....wonder if they are run down??

We used the Holiday Inn when I cruised out of FLL the first time on the Freedom back in April 2014. They had a shuttle to the ship which was convenient. I am not sure how it will work for you with your car, I do not know if they have parking but you should check. The hotel was nice but basic, but it's all we needed. Comfortable beds, a clean room and bathroom, and a nice breakfast buffet. There was also a pool and hottub. It was not a place to make a pre-cruise vacation, but it was a nice place to crash the night before departure.

If you plan on driving and staying for a while, I have heard great things about the W, Hyatt Regency, and the Bahia Mar.

Get there earlier than later, you will be able to board faster and there will be a large flood of people around 12-1:30, because that's when they were told to arrive in an email. They will let you on if you arrive early. We have always had FTTF at FLL so I cannot speak on the regular boarding process. I feel as though FTTF is worth it, especially if you have any tender ports.

Let me know if you have any other questions about cruising from FLL, or the Conquest!

I'm sitting in the terminal now. We used Park N Go and it was super easy. We drive from Tampa this morning and there was no traffic at all.

Tons of porters with no wait. We have FTTF and we're through the lines in just a few minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks both of you!!!

I might look at the Holiday Inn. We just want a place to crash the night before. We have an 11am check-in time (thanks to my awesome PVP!) but I've always wondered if FTTF would be worth it for tendering. I'm not sure if we tender into HMC or Grand Turk? I've really slacked on my research this time. I need to step it up....we sail on Saturday!

Tank's Mom, have a great cruise!!! Are you on the Conquest? So the park and Go was at the terminal? How much $ per night? I guess I could go to Carnival website and find this info somewhere.....

This will be our 9th cruise and the FIRST EVER not out of New Orleans! We have never been to Fort Lauderdale and haven't been on the Conquest in years, so if anyone has any tips/advice on the port or the ship, that would be awesome! We will be driving, so what parking garage is at the port? Is the traffic really bad? I know in NO we'd sometimes sit in traffic for 20 min getting into the port.....

Also if anyone has any hotel recommendations for Fort Lauderdale area, that'd be great too. We generally like Hampton Inn but I'm noticing most in that area only get 3 out of 5 stars.....wonder if they are run down??

The Hampton Inn North Cruise Port is great http://www.hotelftlauderdalefl.com/

We always stay at the Renaissance Hotel on 17th St--right across from the port. You can watch the ships pull in to port in the early morning hours right from your room window. They do have parking there, but I don't know the rate, as we always fly in. I would ask if they have a stay and park rate, because they offer a shuttle to port in morning for only $6pp. Traffic is pretty busy pulling into the port. If you stay on 17 St, there are a lot of places to eat. Besides the usual chain restaurants, we had a great time at the Bimini Boatyard. I heard it changed hands, so not sure if it goes by the same name, but it is at the back of a shopping plaza next to the Renaissance, and on the waterway. You can sit out on the deck if you want, and it has a lovely bar. Besides the Renaissance, there is the Hilton just down the street, and the Embassy Suites just up the street.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used the Holiday Inn when I cruised out of FLL the first time on the Freedom back in April 2014. They had a shuttle to the ship which was convenient. I am not sure how it will work for you with your car, I do not know if they have parking but you should check. The hotel was nice but basic, but it's all we needed. Comfortable beds, a clean room and bathroom, and a nice breakfast buffet. There was also a pool and hottub. It was not a place to make a pre-cruise vacation, but it was a nice place to crash the night before departure.

If you plan on driving and staying for a while, I have heard great things about the W, Hyatt Regency, and the Bahia Mar.

Get there earlier than later, you will be able to board faster and there will be a large flood of people around 12-1:30, because that's when they were told to arrive in an email. They will let you on if you arrive early. We have always had FTTF at FLL so I cannot speak on the regular boarding process. I feel as though FTTF is worth it, especially if you have any tender ports.

Let me know if you have any other questions about cruising from FLL, or the Conquest!

The Conquest at Port Everglades has staggered check in and you can not enter the Terminal until your Check in Time unless you have Priority. Getting there before your check in time will have the OP sitting outside after giving the luggage to the porters.

I've cruised the Conquest out of FLL several times, as a platinum and then a diamond. Boarding was delayed twice, ostensibly because the previous cruisers were slow in debarking. Once it was started @1:15,PM; the last time in April boarding began at 12:50PM.

Muster was also a long and tedious process on one of my recent Conquest sailings, reason given that some cruisers were avoiding the safety briefing and had to be located.

The actual ship is is fairly good condition. There's some rust here and there on the balconies, but the cabin was in good shape.

I didn't like the policy change of allowing "children accompanied by an adult" into the previously adult only aft hot tubs and pool on the April trip.

I usually fly in the morning of the cruise and haven't been delayed getting into the port area or doing priority check in. Whenever I stayed in Fort Lauderdale non cruise I stayed at one of the Sheratons, preferring the high rise over the tired beach side hotel.

I want to thank all of you for such great information!

Evandbob, I've heard muster is outside by the lifeboats. Blah. We've gotten used to being in the dining room for muster on the Dream the past 3 summers. Oh well, small price I suppose :)

Grandmarnnurse, your comment about Renaissance having views of the cruise ships got me excited! I hadn't even thought about that possibility! My research took me to the Hyatt Regency Pier 66, which I have booked a Tower Room so we can see the Intercoastal waterways/cruise ships coming in. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

HMC is tendered, GT is docked. I always get FTTF but if you have an excursion booked through Carnival then you get on the early tenders anyway. Any other ports?

Good to know! Thanks!!

Our other port is Nassau, but I've been there before and know it's docked.

We just got off the Conquest last Thursday. Ship was awesome except the shore excursions desk which was a hot mess. Fttf worked really well for us. Hmc was horrible! First tender at 10am and last one at 1:30. Had to be back at 3pm so had very little time.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Conquest last Thursday. Ship was awesome except the shore excursions desk which was a hot mess. Fttf worked really well for us. Hmc was horrible! First tender at 10am and last one at 1:30. Had to be back at 3pm so had very little time.

Our port time is listed at 8am-4pm. Hopefully tenders will be leaving before 10am!!

Our port time is listed at 8am-4pm. Hopefully tenders will be leaving before 10am!!

We were suppose to go to HMC on Monday of our cruise, but it was changed to Wednesday. Then we were late to HMC and didn't tender until 9:50. The shore excursion desk kept everyone in the Toulouse lounge from 7:45 until they tendered. They kept telling us not to leave for the bathroom or coffee that we would be tendering soon. It was horrible. The people without FTTF didn't get to the island until after 12pm. You might also consider booking an excursion or cabana as those groups had priority tender.

We were suppose to go to HMC on Monday of our cruise, but it was changed to Wednesday. Then we were late to HMC and didn't tender until 9:50. The shore excursion desk kept everyone in the Toulouse lounge from 7:45 until they tendered. They kept telling us not to leave for the bathroom or coffee that we would be tendering soon. It was horrible. The people without FTTF didn't get to the island until after 12pm. You might also consider booking an excursion or cabana as those groups had priority tender.

That sounds awful! I didn't even think about having a long wait to tender over...yuck. Next time I'm for sure getting FTTF!

Pardon my ignorance ...but what;s Fttf & Hmc? :)

bluejay --- not sure of your dates, but for hotel the Holiday Inn Express -1500 SE 17th Street is offering excellent rates in June. I just booked 1 night for $108 (including taxes) + free breakfast, & i think they have airport shuttle.

Be careful if booking tho....there's a bunch of HI Express hotels in FLL.

Here's the above hotels wesite- excellent location!

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/fort-lauderdale/fllcc/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-USA-_-FLLCC

I was on the Conquest last October and also in October of 2015 and both cruises were great. Really liked the staff, especially on the last cruise, and we liked the MDR menu and our serving crew so much that we ate in the MDR every night for the first time in a while. :)

As for parking and staying, for my cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale -- 5 in a row, now -- I've used the Quality Inn Airport/Cruiseport South. Free parking for the duration, free shuttle to AND FROM the pier, and the hotel is easy to get to, right next to I-95 on Stirling Road. Good free breakfast in the morning, too.

The room price was reasonable; since parking at the pier is $15/day and pier shuttles are $10/pp it was like staying at the hotel for free.

Pardon my ignorance ...but what;s Fttf & Hmc? :)

It's Faster to the Fun and Half Moon Cay :)

Thanks for the hotel tip, Holiday Inns are very nice and that's a great price! I booked the Hyatt Pier 66 after reading about its views of the port and marina.

I was on the Conquest last October and also in October of 2015 and both cruises were great. Really liked the staff, especially on the last cruise, and we liked the MDR menu and our serving crew so much that we ate in the MDR every night for the first time in a while. :)

As for parking and staying, for my cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale -- 5 in a row, now -- I've used the Quality Inn Airport/Cruiseport South. Free parking for the duration, free shuttle to AND FROM the pier, and the hotel is easy to get to, right next to I-95 on Stirling Road. Good free breakfast in the morning, too.

The room price was reasonable; since parking at the pier is $15/day and pier shuttles are $10/pp it was like staying at the hotel for free.

Great info, thanks so much!!!

That's my go-to hotel also. Lots of restaurants within walking distance...Sal's is amazing. The Rustic Inn Restaurant sends a shuttle to the hotel for dinner guests.

That's my go-to hotel also. Lots of restaurants within walking distance...Sal's is amazing.

Not sure if it's the same place (sounds familiar), but we ate at a really good Jewish deli that was within walking distance. Lately we've been driving around back of the hotel to that shopping center to eat at Sweet Tomatoes -- love the salad bar there -- and pick up "embark alcohol" at the bottle shop at BJ's Wholesale (club membership not required as they have a separate entrance).

That shopping center has also proven handy for bring-along items like power strips and canned sodas, and it's right behind the hotel.

The Rustic Inn Restaurant sends a shuttle to the hotel for dinner guests.

Good to know. I'll be staying at the Quality Inn again next February for a charter cruise out of FLL, if they ever open booking for it. :)