Norwegian fjords advice, please

We are planning to do a cruise of the Norwegian fjords in June 2014 to include the North Cape. We based our first choice on the itinerary for this year and find it is changed for 2014 and Flam is not included. However, it does include scenic cruising in Magdalena Fjord. I now find another cruise on a bigger ship that does stop in Flam but misses Magdalena. All other stops are the same.

My consternation now is

1) do I want to sail on a small ship to the fjords or a larger ship? What are the disadvantages with a larger ship other than crowds? We have only cruised on the larger ships.

2) Do I want to include Flam more than Magdalena Fjord? Is the railroad a better choice than the scenic cruising at Magdalena? I have heard the RR is amazing but have no way to compare the two.

3) Oh---and the larger ship is cheaper by a bunch and sails from Southampton so the transfer would be easier.

Any help out there?

Thanks

Pat

The scenic cruising in Magdalena fjord is a red herring. You get lots of scenic cruising on the way into and out of Flam as well, because it's a long way inland, so with Flam you get the best of both worlds.

Don't know about the big ship/small ship dilemma. To me, 100 passengers is small, 800 mid-sized, 1800 big, 3000 monstrous. What size ships do you have in mind? For me, I much prefer the mid-sized or big ships because the small ones don't have enough facilities, but the monsters are just too big. Mid-sized have smaller-scale, more intimate entertainment too.

Thanks for your response. The comparison is a ship of 680 (Ocean Princess) and a ship of 3000 (Ruby Princess). We have previously been on the Ruby and like the idea of extra amenities and more activities. We are booked on the Ocean but I just found this cruise on the Ruby today so I am now in the quandary! Having never sailed on the smaller ships I lean toward the "known".

Another concern is the Ocean leaves from Dover (as opposed to Southampton for the Ruby) which is causing some problems with transfer options.

We are planning to do a cruise of the Norwegian fjords in June 2014 to include the North Cape. We based our first choice on the itinerary for this year and find it is changed for 2014 and Flam is not included. However, it does include scenic cruising in Magdalena Fjord. I now find another cruise on a bigger ship that does stop in Flam but misses Magdalena. All other stops are the same. My consternation now is

1) do I want to sail on a small ship to the fjords or a larger ship? What are the disadvantages with a larger ship other than crowds? We have only cruised on the larger ships.

2) Do I want to include Flam more than Magdalena Fjord? Is the railroad a better choice than the scenic cruising at Magdalena? I have heard the RR is amazing but have no way to compare the two.

3) Oh---and the larger ship is cheaper by a bunch and sails from Southampton so the transfer would be easier.

Any help out there? Thanks. Pat

dsrdsrdsr: The scenic cruising in Magdalena fjord is a red herring. You get lots of scenic cruising on the way into and out of Flam as well' date=' because it's a long way inland, so with Flam you get the best of both worlds. [/quote']

Agree strongly with dsrdsrdsr that by doing Flam, you get the "best of both worlds". Below is more on Flam and why that rail trip is special. PLUS, that fjord you travel to reach there is considered the best in Norway. Win-Win!!

Larger versus smaller has many pro-con factors involved to consider. YES, price is a key factor. In many cases, you'll pay more for the smaller ships as those tend to be more on the luxury side and cannot cover their "fixed, basic" costs over a larger number of passengers. On larger ships, it can take more time for getting off and back on these ships, especially in ports where you need to tender. Generally, larger ships will have more on-ship entertainment options and a wide range of dining venues. We've done both larger ships (the 2,850 passenger Celebrity Solstice in the Med) and smaller ships in the Greek Island and along the Norway Coast. Both can work well. Much depends on your budget and personal style/needs.

Glad to know you are planning to go north of the Arctic Circle and reach the wonderful North Cape. Will you have any stops in charming and dramatic Lofoten Islands? You can see lots more on many of these stops/ports from my live/blog connected below. Check it out.

Reactions and questions? Tell us more!! Don't be shy!!

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 73-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,284 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

In the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was the harbor scene as we had our picnic at an open table before going on our charter boat to the bird rock areas. That tree trunk/limbs shown didn't actually grow there. It was brought in and placed there. This far north, nothing major grows and the land areas are very much a type of tundra. Extremely interesting and beautiful area!:

NorCapeHarborTree.jpg

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

We based our first choice on the itinerary for this year and find it is changed for 2014 and Flam is not included. However, it does include scenic cruising in Magdalena Fjord.

2) Do I want to include Flam more than Magdalena Fjord?

Do you mean Magdalena Fjord in Spitsbergen / Svalbard?

If so, you're not really comparing like with like here. Magdalena Fjord is in a truly Arctic region. Flam is nothing at all like this:-

l8o4z.jpg

We are planning to do a cruise of the Norwegian fjords in June 2014 to include the North Cape. We based our first choice on the itinerary for this year and find it is changed for 2014 and Flam is not included. However, it does include scenic cruising in Magdalena Fjord. I now find another cruise on a bigger ship that does stop in Flam but misses Magdalena. All other stops are the same.

My consternation now is

Any help out there?

Thanks

Pat

I had a hard time locating the OPs post as it was buried in so many lovely pictures...

Anyway, here is my suggestions to you:)

Depends what you want. If you are looking for a more personal experience on a ship that can go closer to land, on a ship that will cruise the "inland passages" instead of heading out at sea after a port stop you should go with a smaller ship. The smaller ship will give you a better experience the larger ships can not.

The best would of course be sailing with a Norwegian Captain who knows the areas like the back of his hand. A Captain that can make surprise stops.

As Globaliser said; you cant compare Magdalena Fjord and Flam...

I would choose Magdalena Fjord for the impressive beauty, because its in Spitzbergen, because the flora and fauna are unique up there and because is as far north you can go with a ship (unless you are on an expedition ship to the North Pole or the Northwest passage)

Flåm is lovely too but so are other fjords I am sure you will be visiting.

If I were you I would go with the smaller ship.

Do you mean Magdalena Fjord in Spitsbergen / Svalbard?

If so, you're not really comparing like with like here. Magdalena Fjord is in a truly Arctic region. Flam is nothing at all like this:-

l8o4z.jpg

Yes, I was a bit confused with this. A cruise to Svalbard and a cruise to Norway are 2 different things although ships often visit Norway on their way to/from Svalbard.

Since we're taking a Norwegian Fjord cruise in July 2013, I thought I'd ask a few questions on this thread. Any suggestions/advice on what not to miss would be greatly appreciated. Here are our ports and what we are thinking so far.

• Flaam 8am to 11:30 am. We are planning on taking the Flaam railway.
  • Gundvangen 2pm to 6pm--same day as Flaam. I assume we are picking people up who did the overland journey. What else would you suggest we do in this port?
  • Kristiansund 10am to 7pm. Suggestions? There is a hiking excursion to Mt. Ommhammern that I was thinking of taking. What else would you suggest in this port? We have all day there as the hike is only 3 hours.
  • Helleysilt, 8am to 11am. Suggestions? I assume this is a drop off point for overland journeys because we then stop at...is that the sole purpose of the stop?
  • Geiranger 12pm to 6pm. Suggestions for Geiranger? And if we do the overland from Helleysilt, will we miss some spectacular fjords from the ship?
  • Bergen -- all day visit, planning on funicular, and wandering around the town.

Any ideas, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated. And of course, any weather predictions would be helpful! Thank you in advance!

Since we're taking a Norwegian Fjord cruise in July 2013, I thought I'd ask a few questions on this thread. Any suggestions/advice on what not to miss would be greatly appreciated. Here are our ports and what we are thinking so far.

• Flaam 8am to 11:30 am. We are planning on taking the Flaam railway. Sounds like a very good idea. Also, if you have time you should also visit the brewery of Aegir
  • Gundvangen 2pm to 6pm--same day as Flaam. I assume we are picking people up who did the overland journey. What else would you suggest we do in this port? Yes, the ship will pick up the overland tours............You could go kayaking, visit the Kielfossen/waterfall....There are many wonderful hikes but you dont have much time in Gudvangen
  • Kristiansund 10am to 7pm. Suggestions? There is a hiking excursion to Mt. Ommhammern that I was thinking of taking. What else would you suggest in this port? We have all day there as the hike is only 3 hours. You could visit Atlanterhavs vegen/road - your ship might have an excursion there??....You could visit the small island called Grip....you could Hike Freikollen mountain....
  • Helleysilt, 8am to 11am. Suggestions? I assume this is a drop off point for overland journeys because we then stop at...is that the sole purpose of the stop? Hellesylt is only to drop off passengers for the tours.....
  • Geiranger 12pm to 6pm. Suggestions for Geiranger? And if we do the overland from Helleysilt, will we miss some spectacular fjords from the ship? You will be able to see the fjord sailing out from Geiranger. An overland tour is well worth it. If you decide not to do the overland tour you could take a tour to Mt. Dalsnibba....the viewpoint of Flydalsjuvet and the Eagle road. The last 2 can be done on a hop on/off bus...In Geiranger there are many wonderful hikes....There are lots of threads and suggestions already covered here on CC.
  • Bergen -- all day visit, planning on funicular, and wandering around the town.
    Sounds like a wonderful day in Bergen..

Any ideas, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated. And of course, any weather predictions would be helpful! Thank you in advance!

I would love to predict wonderful weather all summer :D but, who knows....if the last few years are anything to go by the weather in May and June are suppose to be good. July is suppose to be rainy and August fine....Fingers crossed for sunny weather...

My comments in red:)

My consternation now is

Any help out there?

Thanks

Pat

Pat,

Are you talking about the Ocean Princess as the smaller ship? I noticed that next years cruise goes to Stavanger instead of Flam. As far as the deep fjord experience, it does go to Geiranger. I will be on the 2013 cruise and will respond next month my impressions of both Spitzenberg and Flam.

Edited: just realized you already answered the question...booked on the Ocean.

I hadn't picked up that Magdalena Fjord was in Spitzbergen. That changes it somewhat in the scenery is nothing like the Flam approach, it's a very Arctic, white, area.

Points in favour of Spitzbergen:

1. You'll never get so far north any other way. When I went, we were 628 miles form the North Pole.

2. Although the Flam railway is indeed spectacular, so are other parts of the fjords. You might rank Flam numer 1, but if Geiranger's number 2 it's not a log way behind. If you call at Andalsnes, there's a railway there you can go on - again, it's not Flam, but it's a long way different from Jacksonville.

3. 3,000 passengers is a lot in Norway, especially if any other ships are in.

Points in favour of Flam:

1. The railway.

2. There's a long sea crossing to get to Spitzbergen - not a problem if you have an averagely strong stomach, but if you're prone to seasickness, it might put you off.

Good luck. You'll enjoy it either way.

If you call at Andalsnes, there's a railway there you can go on - again, it's not Flam, but it's a long way different from Jacksonville.

Tell me more about the railway in Andalsnes, please. What type of scenery do you see?

Tell me more about the railway in Andalsnes, please. What type of scenery do you see?

It's called the Rauma railway, and the scenery is typical Norwegian fjordland - mountains, fields, waterfalls, lakes, the usual :). Not so cliff-y or miraculously engineered as Flam, but very much worth the trip for all that. We usually ride up to Bjorli (about 40 minutes I think, but that's from memory so it could be a bit longer, say an hour or so) and get off for a stroll round. It's a small ski resort so it's a bit dead in summer, but the scenery is spectacular up there. It's about 1800 feet above sea level. There's no platform at Bjorli station so you need to be able to climb the little ladder steps into the train.

Thanks to everyone for all the guidance. We did decide to change our booking to the Ruby. The real deciding factor was finding out we could immediately board the Emerald in Southampton at the end of the cruise and continue on for the Baltic Heritage cruise! :D

Ya'll were most gracious to me and I thank you.

Pat

Thanks!! Wonderful video. Sorry to keep asking questions. BUT -- do you feel the train is the best way to spend the day in Andalsnes?

Ask as many questions you like :)

Your ship might have tours to the Path of the Trolls??? This is a truly memorable experience. You drive past Trollveggen (The Troll mountain) Europes tallest vertical mountain.

Then the curved road up to the view point at the top. You get mountains, steep roads, waterfalls...the lot.

Here is more info about the Path of the Troll.

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Where-to-go-us/Fjord-Norway/The-Geirangerfjord/What-to-do-in-the-Geirangerfjord-area-and-Trollstigen/Attractions-in-the-areas-of-the-Geirangerfjord-and-Trollstigen/Trollstigen-mountain-road/?gclid=CJWfyaaFlbcCFQpZ3godFlcAoQ

Which tour would be the best is really hard to decide on. Both are extraordinarily.

If you can do both:) would be perfect. But if I had to choose one I would go for the Path of the Trolls.

Ask as many questions you like :)

Your ship might have tours to the Path of the Trolls??? This is a truly memorable experience. You drive past Trollveggen (The Troll mountain) Europes tallest vertical mountain.

Then the curved road up to the view point at the top. You get mountains, steep roads, waterfalls...the lot.

Here is more info about the Path of the Troll.

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Where-to-go-us/Fjord-Norway/The-Geirangerfjord/What-to-do-in-the-Geirangerfjord-area-and-Trollstigen/Attractions-in-the-areas-of-the-Geirangerfjord-and-Trollstigen/Trollstigen-mountain-road/?gclid=CJWfyaaFlbcCFQpZ3godFlcAoQ

Which tour would be the best is really hard to decide on. Both are extraordinarily.

If you can do both:) would be perfect. But if I had to choose one I would go for the Path of the Trolls.

Once again, you have given me so much interesting and helpful infomration. OK! This is probably more information than you want. I have included 3 options for our day in Andalsnes. I see there are two scenic drives that include the phrase "Troll Road". One is 3 1/2 hours and one is 7 hours. The third option is the railroad which is 3 hours. Is option #2 the one you have suggested? If the timing of 1 and 3 could be coordinated would you suggest taking both of them or is 2 the best option. If we have to chose only one which would you suggest?

1. (3 1/2 hours) Setting off from the beautifully situated village of Åndalsnes, you’ll head along the Rauma River as mountains rise up dramatically on both sides. Mount Romsdalshorn, at 5,000 feet is on one side, with Trolltindane opposite at 5,100 feet on the other. You’ll drive close to the famous ‘Troll Wall’ with its vertical, overhanging wall.

Crossing the Sogge Bridge, you’ll approach the Isterdal Valley, surrounded by impressive mountains with majestic names, such as The King, The Queen and The Bishop. Further up the valley, reach the Trollstig Road (Path of the Trolls), which winds and climbs in a series of 11 hairpin bends to reach the top of the Trollstig Road. A photography stop will be made in the valley to admire the lovely, cascading 590 foot Stigfoss Waterfall, before heading up the pass to Trollstigheimen. From here you’ll be able to enjoy magnificent views over the wild, unspoilt mountains and the Isterdal Valley.

2. (7 hours)This spectacular scenic drive takes you along the Romsdalsfjord, turning into the Innfjord. The road follows the shoreline through several villages to Tresfjord, where there’ll be a photograph stop before leaving the fjord and continuing up the Skorge Valley to Ørskogfjellet mountain plateau. Descend to the Storfjord and across a mountain pass to the Norddalsfjord and the village of Valldal. There will be a photograph stop at the magnificent Gudbrand Gorge, with its foaming waterfall deep below.

Enter the mountain world as you arrive at Trollstigheimen. Soon after, descend the famous Trollstig Road via a series of 11 hairpin bends to the valley below. From here, you’ll arrive in the small fertile agricultural plain around Åndalsnes. On your return drive, a short detour is made up to the ‘Troll Wall’ the highest perpendicular mountain wall in Europe. During the tour enjoy a Norwegian buffet luncheon, featuring both hot and cold dishes.

3. (3 hours) Embark on a panoramic train journey full of sights and dramatic scenery. The railway follows the Rauma River, where you can enjoy views of Mount Romsdalshorn, the Trolltindane and the ‘Troll Wall’. The Rauma River descends from the Lesjaskog Lake and forms many attractive waterfalls along the way. Crossing over the Kylling Bridge there is a dramatic view of the foaming river down in the canyon. This bridge is an impressive work of engineering, only natural stone is used, with each piece fitting together perfectly.

At Bjorli Station your mode of transport changes. A coach drive will take you through what is considered to be one of Norway’s most beautiful valleys, with impressive peaks rising straight up from the valley floor. A photograph stop is made at the Slettafossen Waterfall viewpoint and the ‘Troll Wall’, the highest vertical and overhanging wall in Europe.

Once again, you have given me so much interesting and helpful infomration. OK! This is probably more information than you want. I have included 3 options for our day in Andalsnes. I see there are two scenic drives that include the phrase "Troll Road". One is 3 1/2 hours and one is 7 hours. The third option is the railroad which is 3 hours. Is option #2 the one you have suggested? If the timing of 1 and 3 could be coordinated would you suggest taking both of them or is 2 the best option. If we have to chose only one which would you suggest?

1. (3 1/2 hours) Setting off from the beautifully situated village of Åndalsnes, you’ll head along the Rauma River as mountains rise up dramatically on both sides. Mount Romsdalshorn, at 5,000 feet is on one side, with Trolltindane opposite at 5,100 feet on the other. You’ll drive close to the famous ‘Troll Wall’ with its vertical, overhanging wall.

Crossing the Sogge Bridge, you’ll approach the Isterdal Valley, surrounded by impressive mountains with majestic names, such as The King, The Queen and The Bishop. Further up the valley, reach the Trollstig Road (Path of the Trolls), which winds and climbs in a series of 11 hairpin bends to reach the top of the Trollstig Road. A photography stop will be made in the valley to admire the lovely, cascading 590 foot Stigfoss Waterfall, before heading up the pass to Trollstigheimen. From here you’ll be able to enjoy magnificent views over the wild, unspoilt mountains and the Isterdal Valley.

2. (7 hours)This spectacular scenic drive takes you along the Romsdalsfjord, turning into the Innfjord. The road follows the shoreline through several villages to Tresfjord, where there’ll be a photograph stop before leaving the fjord and continuing up the Skorge Valley to Ørskogfjellet mountain plateau. Descend to the Storfjord and across a mountain pass to the Norddalsfjord and the village of Valldal. There will be a photograph stop at the magnificent Gudbrand Gorge, with its foaming waterfall deep below.

Enter the mountain world as you arrive at Trollstigheimen. Soon after, descend the famous Trollstig Road via a series of 11 hairpin bends to the valley below. From here, you’ll arrive in the small fertile agricultural plain around Åndalsnes. On your return drive, a short detour is made up to the ‘Troll Wall’ the highest perpendicular mountain wall in Europe. During the tour enjoy a Norwegian buffet luncheon, featuring both hot and cold dishes.

3. (3 hours) Embark on a panoramic train journey full of sights and dramatic scenery. The railway follows the Rauma River, where you can enjoy views of Mount Romsdalshorn, the Trolltindane and the ‘Troll Wall’. The Rauma River descends from the Lesjaskog Lake and forms many attractive waterfalls along the way. Crossing over the Kylling Bridge there is a dramatic view of the foaming river down in the canyon. This bridge is an impressive work of engineering, only natural stone is used, with each piece fitting together perfectly.

At Bjorli Station your mode of transport changes. A coach drive will take you through what is considered to be one of Norway’s most beautiful valleys, with impressive peaks rising straight up from the valley floor. A photograph stop is made at the Slettafossen Waterfall viewpoint and the ‘Troll Wall’, the highest vertical and overhanging wall in Europe.

I would choose 1 and 3. If you can combine those itineraries you will have gotten the best of everything.

Option 2 just have to much driving in/out fjords and no real spectacular factor. Thought the fjords are beautiful, the towns you are stopping at are nothing special.

If I had to choose only one - this is really hard to decide - but I would go for tour no 1:)

I think that is the most interesting tour.

FIngers crossed you can combine tour 1 and 3.

If thats not possible maybe you can do tour 3 on your own...

I would choose 1 and 3. If you can combine those itineraries you will have gotten the best of everything.

Option 2 just have to much driving in/out fjords and no real spectacular factor. Thought the fjords are beautiful, the towns you are stopping at are nothing special.

If I had to choose only one - this is really hard to decide - but I would go for tour no 1:)

I think that is the most interesting tour.

FIngers crossed you can combine tour 1 and 3.

If thats not possible maybe you can do tour 3 on your own...

Again, many thanks. Your advice is so helpful!!!!

Without meaning to hijack the OP thread, can you advise on the following:

Trondheim

Alesund

Molde

Olden

Stavanger

We are on RCCL Adventure of the seas Iceland and Norway May 31 2013. I have never been so late in planning, we leave in 11 days and I have nothing planned. Help!

Without meaning to hijack the OP thread, can you advise on the following: Trondheim, Alesund, Molde, Olden, Stavanger

We are on RCCL Adventure of the seas Iceland and Norway May 31 2013. I have never been so late in planning, we leave in 11 days and I have nothing planned. Help!

I can help lots for Trondheim and Alesund. Have not been to Molde, Olden or Stavanger. Below is more background and some of my pictures, plus you can check out my live/blog connected below for added info and visuals, etc.

Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports.

Trondheim is Norway's third largest municipality. It has a population of 152,800 with major university-science-medical research facilities. It is considered Norway’s historical, cultural and religious capital. Its history goes back 997 and King Olav Tryggvason, who later was made a Saint. Its Nidaros Cathedral was built from 1070 and is the most important Gothic monument in Norway. The Norway King is still crowned here. In a town noted for timbered architecture, this is Scandinavia’s largest medieval building with a 321-foot-high tower. It was Northern Europe's most important Christian pilgrimage site during the middle Ages and has organ recitals in the summer. The town was Norway’s capital until 1217. Famed actress Liv Ullmann grew up here.

For the record/background, Trondheim is 425 miles north of Bergen. For our July 5 when there, it was sunrise: 3:15 am, Sunset: 11:24 pm on this day. There was a free shuttle around the central business district that made the logistics easier. You will still need to check on logistics from the ship docking area to the main center of town. Not that far, but not quick or easy for some to do that walk.

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

Reactions and added questions, needs??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,802 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Trondheim’s top and most historic attraction is their Cathedral. Nidaros Cathedral was built from 1070 and is the most important Gothic monument in Norway. The Norway King is still crowned here. This is the front of Trondheim’s Cathedral, Scandinavia’s largest medieval building. It has a central, 321-foot-high tower.:

TrondheimCathFrontFull.jpg

This is inside the museum for the Trondheim Cathedral. It features many architectural items from over the nearly 1000-year history of this structure. In this area is also a museum with the various Royal crowns, chairs, etc.:

TrondheimCathMuseum.jpg

Stiftsgården is the royal residence in Trondheim, originally constructed in 1774 with 144 rooms constituting 43,000 sq. ft. It is the largest wooden building in Northern Europe, has buttercup-yellow coloring, a Rococo style with Baroque details, is open 10 am-5 pm and has been used by royals and their guests since 1800.:

TrondheimPalaceFront.jpg

This is an example of the charming, wooden structures that can be found around Trondheim.:

TrondheimOldTownBldg.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

From Aksla, here is some of the charming architecture in Alesund. This includes a canal or waterway in the middle of the town. This is called "Brosundet" ( or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor2.jpg

Trondheim

Alesund

Molde

Olden

Stavanger

There are some pretty good and informative threads about those ports here in this forum.

:)

Trondheim

Alesund

Molde

Olden

Stavanger

I was in olden beginning of May and the main thing is the enormous Briskdal glacier, We didn't go because the weather was very uncertain but Olden itself is a pretty little place and a land train pulled up the minute the boat docked to take people on tours. Also on P&O they put on loads of extra trips to the glacier so hopefully you will get lucky with a trip too!

Archived