Is Westfield stratford City mall a stop on the HO HO?

queenL

I'm looking at the Original Tour HO Ho line. In the far left a grey capital connector line appears to have a stop near Westfield Shopping Centre. Is this Westfield Stratford City Shopping Centre? If not is it possible to get there on the Ho Ho?

I'm looking at the Original Tour HO Ho line. In the far left a grey capital connector line appears to have a stop near Westfield Shopping Centre. Is this Westfield Stratford City Shopping Centre? If not is it possible to get there on the Ho Ho?

The one on the map is the Shepherd's Bush Westfield. Why do you want to go to the shopping centre at Stratford?

I heard it was the largest mall in Europe. Some in my party really want to shop.

I wouldn't take a trip out to Stratford just to shop. There are plenty of shopping areas in central London. How long do you have? Where are you staying?

I wouldn't take a trip out to Stratford just to shop. There are plenty of shopping areas in central London. How long do you have? Where are you staying?

We are staying near the London Eye. I thought the mall might offer more of a variety and moderately priced stores. We aren't looking for Versace couture! :)

Oxford Circus would offer you similar stores in a better location if u have limited time. You could get the tube to Stratford if u wanted which isn't to hard... Just seems a shame to waste 30 min travelling time for a shopping centre unless u wanted to see the Olympic village area to

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if Oxford would area would have stores that sold home accessories too?

Oxford Street has several large department stores, including Selfridges and John Lewis.

If you do want to go the mall, Stratford is an easy journey on the Jubilee line from Waterloo or Westminster, both of which are convenient for where you are staying. As nmg85 says, it will take about half an hour. The tube station is right next to the shopping centre.

And Oxford is a fair distance from Oxford Street. Westfield is a large shopping centre, but not the largest in Europe. In fact, Bluewater, just outside London is bigger. Personally I wouldn't bother going there either and I like shopping.

It really depends what you want to buy. As already mentioned you have some large department stores in Oxford Street and also a very big branch of Marks and Spencer.

And there's also Next which also do home accessories, which the OP enquired about.

I woldn't think Stratford could offer anything extra other than being in a mall and obviously if the OP was wanting to get nearer the Olympics arena.

Nowadays any High Street and any shopping mall has pretty much the same shops (and between different cities and European countries as well). The only advantage of a shopping mall is when it is raining.

At least a High Street might have a pub or two for the male version of 'retail therapy'.;)

As you might have guessed - I'm not the world's greatest fan of shopping!

Coming to London from Atlanta, don't waste your time trying to find an identikit shopping centre like you have at home. (Well, you can if you want to, but why?) Shop at Oxford Street, which at least is the London shopping experience, even if you don't want to buy anything. Travelling to London to buy moderately priced household accessories (though again, it's your time so you can do what you want with it) is a dead waste of travel.

'

Why on earth would any American want to shop in England given the dollar to pound ratio?:confused:

We are in London for 5-6 weeks each year and except for the year when the currencies were on a par have never "shopped" in London. Nothing you can't buy at home and much cheaper.

So much to do in London to waste time shopping!

I wouldn't call shopping in Oxford Street these days a true London experience. It may have been some years back, but the only shops worth going into these days in Oxford St are John Lewis and Selfridges. As a Londoner and many friends in the capital, I really don't know anybody who shops in Oxford St anymore.

Oh my goodness! We Brits sure do a really good job of denigrating ourselves!

We don't live in London so maybe we are less jaundiced. Oxford street IS an experience worth doing, especially if you take the time to look at some of the beautiful buildings that abound. Take a trip down Bond St or Regents street, and just look up! Some simply stunning facades to be seen.

Oxford St has a huge number of shops - not household ones, but High Street chains like H and M, Dorothy Perkins, New Look, and lots of more expensive brands. You could even try your luck in Primark - now THAT is an experience - hold onto your hats is my advice, its busy, a bit untidy (due to the customers I might add!) but there are the occasional gems to be found.

Dont forget Marks and Spencer's - their cream teas are pretty good, and their household department is worth looking at. There are two stores, one at the Marble Arch end, one just to the right of Oxford St tube station.

As for the two malls mentioned, don't be put off! The Westfield one near Shepherds Bush is a pleasant place to shop whatever the weather, and there are lots of nice restaurants both inside and outside. The other Westfield at Stratford is right near the Olympic site and you could wander through the lovely new Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. We, as a country, don't often blow our own trumpets but we did a truly amazing job of the Olympics and we should be proud of how welcome we made everyone, and what a great job all the volunteers did in helping people find their way around.

Hope you have a great time and find what you want. If the rest of your party want to shop, good on them! They will have a ball! Sadly, for you, the exchange rate is not good at the moment, but if nothing else they can window shop. Who knows, they might even find something worth paying that little bit extra for!

Edited by ellie1145

No argument from me Ellie.

I thought later that an even better option for the OP and their party would be one of the old markets. Old Spitalfields is excellent: In the words of a TA reviewer "Market stalls selling all sorts of goods, from hats, foods, to records to name but a few. Sharing the same space are modern glass and steel shops, cafes and restaurants. Probably got something for everyone." http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d187543-Reviews-Old_Spitalfields_Market-London_England.html

Alternatively, and a bit more eclectic is Camden Lock Market: More like a Middle East Bazaar -

Old Spitalfields is under cover so a better bet if the weather is bad :