Fee-free cash machines/ATM's in Southampton

nyfeds

Generally speaking, ATMS in Europe don't charge a fee, they aren't allowed too. There are a couple of exceptions to that, but if you stick to a bank owned and operated, and bank located ATM, preferably, you won't have a problem.

You home bank will be the one that charges a fee, however.

Generally speaking, ATMS in Europe don't charge a fee, they aren't allowed too. There are a couple of exceptions to that, but if you stick to a bank owned and operated, and bank located ATM, preferably, you won't have a problem.

You home bank will be the one that charges a fee, however.

There are thousands of ATMs in the UK that charge a convenience fee. And they certainly are not breaking any rules.

In fact there was a newspaper report recently that said that many of the 'free' ones will have to start charging because the shopkeepers will have to pay business rates on them.

In general, the ones in banks and the larger supermarkets are usually free. In every case the machine will give you a warning if a fee is being charged. This bears no relationship to any charges your own card issuer might charge but is a charge for using a convenient ATM.

The free ones normally have a big sign saying "FREE CASH WITHDRAWALS" or something similar.

Thanks for the replies. I just did a search and saw several that charge fees. I located a few Barclays Bank branches within easy walking distance of where we'll be staying. No fees! Good to go!

Edited by nyfeds

I hope they'd accept at least one or the other, otherwise it would be quite difficult for them to make a living!

:D Yep.

It's only in Egypt where taxi drivers will accept your goats, your camels, your first-born, etc.

Some So'ton drivers accept Mastercard or Visa, some don't - ask first if that's all you have.

Only the enterprising ones will accept USD or Euros - at an "enterprising" exchange rate.

They all accept sterling.:)

JB :)

We will be staying at Novotel Southampton. I would welcome information on locations for fee-free cash machines/ATM's in the area, please.

Thank you!

The only way we know how to get fee free cash from an ATM machine is to find a branch of our home bank, Citibank. No matter where we are in the world, if we do our transactions at Citibank, it as if we are banking at our local branch. Obviously, this method doesn't work for us in every city. Some cities have no Citibank branch and other times the location is too inconvenient to make the effort worth the savings.

Here's a link to the location of the four London branches of Citibank:

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/locations.do

There are other banks which have at least some global network. For example, if you live in one of nine states that stretch from the middle-Atlantic region up into New England, you may already bank at Santander, a Spanish bank. In fact, Santander has a major presence in the UK along with Portugal, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile. There are 28 branches of Santander in London.

What I'm writing about is different from using a bank on your home bank's network. I'm talking about doing business at the same bank at home and abroad.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Do taxis in Southampton accept cc's and/or cash?

In the UK there are two types of licenced taxi,

Hackney carrage(can be hailed or just picked up at a rank)

Private hire(MUST be pre booked, they have the phone numbers on the cabs you will see plenty so just call one or get the hotel to)

many of the private hire will have either CC through their dispatcher and some will have in the car there may be a extra charge(one big southampton firm an extra 10%).

Here is a link to the fares Hackney carrage can charge

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/policies/Table_of_Fares_2014-05-27.pdf

Private hire by meter or fixed fare negotiated.

Southampton council did a survey from the cruise terminals to check the fares recently.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/business-licensing/licensing/taxis-private-hire/notice-board/hc-ph-enforcement.aspx

Unfortunately, no Citi in Southampton, Pet Nit Noy.

Okay, we'll eliminate Citibank and, presumably, Santander. However, the principle remains the same. Check to see if your regular bank has a presence in Southampton, or if it is part of any sort of international alliance that does.

Do you bank with Bank of America? If so, that bank is part of a global network called the Global ATM Alliance. (URL below)

Barclays is the UK bank in the ATM Alliance and there's definitely one in Southampton.

Address for Barclays Southampton

67b Above Bar

Southampton

Hampshire

SO14 7DZ

Telephone: 0345 734 5345 (central customer services)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

The only way we know how to get fee free cash from an ATM machine is to find a branch of our home bank, Citibank.
Okay, we'll eliminate Citibank and, presumably, Santander. However, the principle remains the same. Check to see if your regular bank has a presence in Southampton, or if it is part of any sort of international alliance that does.

Do you bank with Bank of America? If so, that bank is part of a global network called the Global ATM Alliance.

So that other readers of this thread don't get confused: As I read the OP's post, it was originally about a different issue, ie whether the ATM itself will charge a fee. Some do, but many don't.

The advantage of arrangements like the Global Alliance is that they reduce the fees that your bank will charge you for that transaction. But that's highly dependent on your own banking arrangements, as you say, rather than on what the ATM itself will do; IME, generally ATMs either charge you for a transaction or they don't, whatever card you're using.

So that other readers of this thread don't get confused: As I read the OP's post, it was originally about a different issue, ie whether the ATM itself will charge a fee. Some do, but many don't.

The advantage of arrangements like the Global Alliance is that they reduce the fees that your bank will charge you for that transaction. But that's highly dependent on your own banking arrangements, as you say, rather than on what the ATM itself will do; IME, generally ATMs either charge you for a transaction or they don't, whatever card you're using.

You're absolutely right; I focused on a fee I know a traveler can control.

I know when I've used some ATM machines, I've encountered a screen that clearly warns that my home bank may/will charge a fee if I continue the transaction and asks if want to proceed.

I can't recall ever having encountered a screen warning me that there is a fee for using a particular ATM independent of what my bank may/may not do. I'm not saying this hasn't happened, I just saying I don't recall that type of warning. Does anyone recall seeing a warning about charges on the ATM side of the process?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The kind of places you get fee paying machines are the stanalone ones in some pubs/clubs, some shops, on ships.

Most high street ones attached to banks supermakets and service(gas) stations are fee free.

Well put. Further to this, the machines that charge a fee of their own are required to tell you before you complete the transaction. (At least in the EU.) Whether your home bank will charge a fee is another question.

Edited by lisiamc

I can't recall ever having encountered a screen warning me that there is a fee for using a particular ATM independent of what my bank may/may not do. I'm not saying this hasn't happened, I just saying I don't recall that type of warning. Does anyone recall seeing a warning about charges on the ATM side of the process?
Such warnings are required in the UK. But there are so many fee-free machines that you'd have to be pretty desperate for immediate cash to be forced to use a machine that will charge you a fee. (I think that I've only ever been in that position once in my entire life.) So this fee is also within your control.

Do you bank with Bank of America? If so, that bank is part of a global network called the Global ATM Alliance. (URL below)

Barclays is the UK bank in the ATM Alliance and there's definitely one in Southampton.

Address for Barclays Southampton

67b Above Bar

Southampton

Hampshire

SO14 7DZ

Telephone: 0345 734 5345 (central customer services)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Santander are fairly common in the UK, the Spanish bank took over an existing bank Abbey National In 2004. There are 3 branches in Southhampton for example and most other major towns have branches.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

The kind of places you get fee paying machines are the stanalone ones in some pubs/clubs, some shops, on ships.

Most high street ones attached to banks supermakets and service(gas) stations are fee free.

In the US, there is a good reason to be wary of stand alone ATM machines in places like pubs/clubs and shops that goes well beyond the fee they might charge. Stand alone machines are more likely to have skimming devices attached than would an ATM machine associated with a bank.