Titanic belfast quarter

We are booked on an Around the British Isles cruise and one of the ports is Belfast. We would like to visit the Titanic QUarter but do not want to book the ship's excursion as we want to do it at our own pace.

Can anyone advise how to get to the Titanic Quarter by public transport? Has anyone travelled there by taxi from port and can you remember how much was the fare? Finally, is it a walkable distance from the port?

Any response to the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and yours hopefully.

Really can't answer your questions about taxis from the pier, etc. since we've only been to the Titanic quarter on a land tour.

However, I recommend you stop into the Dock Cafe which is located about a block from the entrance to the Titanic Museum and easily seen from the entrance to the Nomadic. Here is a link to their website: http://www.the-dock.org/

Have fun in Belfast. It is a facinating city.

Last fall, the cruise my daughter & I took had an itinerary change due to weather and we ended up with a port stop in Belfast. All of the shore excursions sold out almost instantly once they were posted onboard.

With no other option, we took the ship provided shuttle into town and bought a Hop on Hop off bus ticket. There was a stop at the Titanic Quarter so we got off and spent several hours at the museum and wandering around. Then we got back on the HoHo and had an overview of the city before taking a ship shuttle back to port.

It is likely the Hop on Hop off bus will even stop at the port on the day your ship is in - it didn't for us since we were not a scheduled port call.

Although it looks to be close, it is not walking distance and is through a very industrial, area.

Hope this helps!

We were just in Belfast on Oceania Nautica and took a taxi to and from the museum. About ten pounds each way. Cabs are at the port, get off early and go. Don't bother with shuttles. We also prebooked admission and a guided walking tour, there are kiosks inside to claim the tickets.

This museum is fabulous. We spent four hour there.

You cannot walk from the cruise port.

Edited by sammiedawg

Most sensible way to do this is disembark as early as possible. Take the shuttle bus into town. The bus inspector sometimes gives out city maps either here or at termination point. These shuttles are generally free in Belfast and run by the local bus company so a basic service bus. This gets you to the city centre drop off/pick up point. Get your taxi from there to Titanic Museum £5.00 taxi fare. You will now have got there before the ships tour buses arrive and the crowds too. Getting in early like this means the admission tickets queue is very short and as you go round the other queues for the internal free rides such as replica of dockside construction site are also short. By the time you get right round to the entrance you will notice crowds arriving. Get a taxi outside from the taxi point £5.00 to the city centre drop off point. One or two HOHO buses run from this location, if you buy a ticket make sure it's correct for the operator you are contemplating using or get the shuttle back to the ship as you know where the city centre pick up point is. This is a fairly cheap but flexible way of doing Belfast independently.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I don't know what time your ship docks, but in September our ship docks at 7am. The Titanic Museum opens at 9am (at least those are the hours in September). We are having a black taxi pick us up (4 of us) at the dock and then doing a 1 and 1/2 hour tour of the Troubles area (Shankill Road and Falls Road) and dropping us off at the Titanic Museum (cost for 4 people is 45 GBP). We have prebooked tickets for the museum at 10:20am, figuring if we get there earlier we can look around at other things if we can't get in earlier.

Do pre-book your tickets.

Keith

thanks keith, Im flying to Belfast after the WC next year and looking forward to the museum. Taking into account the Nomadic, the dry docks and the museum, I think I could probably fill a day there , so will prebook the tickets first thing.

roscoe39, absolutely.

You can spend the day there.

I truly thought it was an amazing museum and you really got a sense of the size of the ship while at the museum.

They did an outstanding job designing this museum.

We learned a great deal from the museum.

Keith

Hope you all enjoy Belfast folks! :)

A few options - taxi from port to Titanic Belfast or take the shuttle to the city centre and get the HOHO bus around the city but will also go to Titanic quarter or shuttle to city centre and a taxi out to Titanic quarter.

Definitely prebook tickets for as early as possible in advance, although I doubt these would be refunded if you didn't dock? (something to check out)

Hope you all enjoy Belfast folks! :)

A few options - taxi from port to Titanic Belfast or take the shuttle to the city centre and get the HOHO bus around the city but will also go to Titanic quarter or shuttle to city centre and a taxi out to Titanic quarter.

Definitely prebook tickets for as early as possible in advance, although I doubt these would be refunded if you didn't dock? (something to check out)

thanks, we are flying in and staying at the Belfast Quarter the night before so we can be there when the doors open at 9... the hints about doing the interactive part before tours arrive was invaluable.

Also staying at 30 James St in Liverpool....the old white star headquarters has been turned into a Titanic Themed hotel and looks completely and utterly over the top and over decorated to within an inch of the buildings life.

Completely over the top...sounds perfect...

Is it possible to buy tickets for the HOHO tour at the Titanic Museum stop?

I'm thinking what we may do is take a cab over to the Titanic Museum first thing, then afterwards jump on the HOHO before returning to the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

It is likely the Hop on Hop off bus will even stop at the port on the day your ship is in - it didn't for us since we were not a scheduled port call.

I've been researching Belfast for our trip later this month. The HOHO buses don't go to the port. Their own website tells you to take the port shuttle bus to the city centre the pick up the HOHO bus there.

Really can't answer your questions about taxis from the pier, etc. since we've only been to the Titanic quarter on a land tour.

However, I recommend you stop into the Dock Cafe which is located about a block from the entrance to the Titanic Museum and easily seen from the entrance to the Nomadic. Here is a link to their website: http://www.the-dock.org/

Have fun in Belfast. It is a facinating city.

Another recomendation for the Dock Cafe , a wonderful experience.

Loved it and the people running it.

The Titanic area can easy fill a day.

(game of thrones studio is also there)

Also consider doing the walking tour to include the pump house and dry dock.

There are also VIP tours that pick you up from the ship.

If docking early the Taxi tour with a drop off is a very good option.

IF nice, the walk back to the center is OK and there are plenty of refreshment stops. then shuttle back to the ship(just get the map of where the pickup point is).

Our cruise line two years ago had a shuttle from the dock to the information office in Belfast. We took that shuttle and got some UK pounds from the ATM machine next door, then took a taxi from there to the Titanic quarter. I believe it was 7 or 8 pounds from there.

Our cruise line two years ago had a shuttle from the dock to the information office in Belfast. We took that shuttle and got some UK pounds from the ATM machine next door, then took a taxi from there to the Titanic quarter. I believe it was 7 or 8 pounds from there.

Yes, many people do this.

Actually it is not the cruise line that runs the shuttle, the local tourist office does.

Keith