Anniversary Dinner in London

Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden is nice, one of the places in the Shard with great views of London, Oxo Tower overlooking the Thames, The Belvedere in Holland Park, The Ledbury in Hereford Road. There are some good ethnic restaurants too like Nomo, Benares. London has everything and more as far as cuisine goes.

Hi, my husband and I will be celebrating our 15th year wedding anniversary in London and I was hoping some local people would suggest a great romatic restaurant. All suggestions are appreciated.

My vote goes to Launceston Place. In fact, my husband and I have celebrated two anniversaries there. We never even mentioned the fact that we were celebrating yet the service was warmer and more attentive than at some equally stellar places where the staff knew we were having an anniversary. The Market Menu, a three course meal with lots of little extras, is an amazing bargain at 55 GBP. (On Saturday at dinner, the seven course Tasting Menu is the only option.)

There a lots of Michelin starred restaurants in London, but Launceston Place keeps the price at a level where your blood pressure won't rise when gazing at the menu.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

London is so vast with many great restaurants so if you tell us where your hotel is, we could make a few suggestions for you. Would you prefer British-style food or other European or Asian or....?
Agreed. There are so many that even "a great romantic restaurant" needs to be narrowed down a bit for suggestions. Also, do you like modern decor, or something more old-fashioned/traditional? Hard surfaces or soft?

Of those that have been mentioned already, I'd second Launceston Place.

Another one that I'd throw in at random that might fit the bill is Galvin La Chapelle.

turnip eater

The restaurant is obviously on a river boat. I don't live too far from where it is moored and have never heard of it, so I suspect it is aimed at tourists.

OP hasn't bothered replying, so we have no idea of what they are really looking for or their budget.

I think sometimes posters seem to think that London is very small and 'locals' know all the restaurants in London. Perhaps the posters are amazed at London prices. :confused:

It's not just London. I post constantly about Edinburgh / Central Scotland on the Britain board, giving quite detailed replies and so many people don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge. A couple of years ago I complained about it and CC removed my post so maybe they will again!??

It's not just London. I post constantly about Edinburgh / Central Scotland on the Britain board, giving quite detailed replies and so many people don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge. A couple of years ago I complained about it and CC removed my post so maybe they will again!??

OP seems to have disappeared from the members list :confused:

I think sometimes posters seem to think that London is very small and 'locals' know all the restaurants in London.
OP seems to have disappeared from the members list
You need to have made 300 posts before you appear on the members list, so that's not an issue. The OP hasn't logged in since some time on 17 August, so may not yet have seen all the replies.

However, I agree with your first point. The same goes for hotels. "Can anyone recommend a hotel in London?" There are probably a couple of thousand hotels in London. But this may be because some posters don't instinctively understand just how much choice there is in a city of close to 10 million people - particularly if you come from a place that's only a few percent of that size and you have a fighting chance of knowing a reasonable proportion of all the decent facilities there.

You need to have made 300 posts before you appear on the members list, so that's not an issue. The OP hasn't logged in since some time on 17 August, so may not yet have seen all the replies.

However, I agree with your first point. The same goes for hotels. "Can anyone recommend a hotel in London?" There are probably a couple of thousand hotels in London. But this may be because some posters don't instinctively understand just how much choice there is in a city of close to 10 million people - particularly if you come from a place that's only a few percent of that size and you have a fighting chance of knowing a reasonable proportion of all the decent facilities there.

Do you also post on flyertalk? Sorry OT

An unusual name.
Sadly, I occasionally have to point out that the name was picked long before "globalisation" became a recognised concept let alone a political hot potato. But fortunately, not often enough for me to have to think about changing it.

I don't know how many hotels, but according to figures produced in support of London's 2012 Olympic bid, there were more than 70,000 three to five star hotel rooms within 10 kilometres of Central London in 2003.

I couldn't find statistics for restaurants but there are no less than 65 with Michelin stars. The problem with restaurants is defining them - Is McDonalds a restaurant, or just a place to stock up with calories?

Another one that I'd throw in at random that might fit the bill is Galvin La Chapelle.
In case anyone's in London at the moment and is interested in a good dinner, La Chapelle is doing a special during the dead month of August: a 5-course "gastronomic" tasting menu for £29, plus wine pairings for £26 if you like. It's running until 4 September.

We did this a few days ago, and enjoyed it very much. The dishes are actually long-standing favourites at La Chapelle, so there wasn't anything not to like. It's all very nicely judged, including the quantity of both food and wine. The last wine has even been selected to be a 5% ABV wine, to make sure that you're not rolling out of the restaurant incapable of speech.

One of the other restaurants is doing the same thing, with a very similar menu, as you can see from the first link - although its setting is not quite as romantic as La Chapelle.

Edited by Globaliser