Prescription meds & security

lesley_willis1971

When carrying on prescription meds...do they just need to be in the original prescription bottle or are the scripts from the doctor or a list from the pharmacy needed as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have always used one of those weekly containers and carry a list of meds and Dr.

that prescribed them, both domestic and international.

Flying in the US, we just carry them in their original containers. Supplements go in little plastic bags (we label the bag using a sharpie so we know which is which)

Flying international, we also carry out the print-outs from the pharmacy. Supplements stay in original containers.

As mentioned in a previous post, it very much depends on where you're travelling to. Places like the UAE for example do not allow the importation of some prescription drugs even down to what you would consider everyday headache tablets, painkillers and other remedies.

Regardless of where you're travelling you should always carry a copy of the doctors prescription.

Regardless of where you're travelling you should always carry a copy of the doctors prescription.

Flying international, we also carry out the print-outs from the pharmacy. Supplements stay in original containers.

I'm curious about this. Is there key information on the printout that is not on the label on the bottle? Does anyone have a personal experience where they had the Rx medicine in the original, labeled Rx bottle but were actually asked to produce an additional printed sheet from the pharmacy?

I do not think it is the bottle that is important but the RX information printed on the label. I use plastic bags with the copy of the label that is used for mail refill request (I use online refill request) taped with clear tape to the plastic bag. This saves so much room when traveling with over 30 RX and supplements. The bag label has the RX number, date RX filled and date RX is valid to. Doctor name and name of drug. dose and directions. I also carry my own copy of drugs currently using (need if had to have Dr. while away) and for certain countries I take a copy of Prescription History and of course could show it on phone by going to website. All RX bags are carried in a waterproof envelope zippered bag. This week's weekly dispenser is in a polka dot bag that draws attention to itself and I have 2 day dispenser in purse. All medications are in hand luggage but not all in the same place and I cross carry medications with hubby.

For the medicines etc that one must carry that are not daily meds, I keep quart zip lock bags with a list on the front. One for tummy/one for skin/one for colds/one for bandages. Small size (current -- check each year) of anything in my medicine cabinet -- in fact these are my medicine cabinet and stay in a large container on the floor of the bath closet. Pack for a trip by placing the quart bags in suitcase. You have the items you need and trust. Included are small scissors, shoe strings {for shoes and tourniquet}, alcohol pads to clean wounds, thermometer, tape and ace bandage. So used to doing this never have to think of what to take. Problem on a trip -- the answer gets added to the bags!!:p Idea is to have enough to get through night or short time. Works for me and when split between a couple not that heavy in suitcase. Wish I had a nickel for every time I rescued someone with my medicine cabinet in bags --others sometimes are desperate for a needed item.