Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We're so excited to be visiting Roatan in March 2015. Can't wait to use all the information here, thank you SO much to everyone who posted. We've snorkeled Tahiti and the GBR and booked our cruise specifically to snorkel Roatan & Belize. We've decided to attempt the kidney!

We use one of these for our jetski paperwork, and it works well too for snorkeling. I put it around my neck and under my rashguard, and it doesn't bother me at all. We also have a smaller one that just holds some money and a credit card (or sea pass), but I like the larger one better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221633319767?lpid=82&chn=ps

I think we picked it up at Sports Authority, but it was several years ago. Never leaks.

We're so excited to be visiting Roatan in March 2015. Can't wait to use all the information here, thank you SO much to everyone who posted. We've snorkeled Tahiti and the GBR and booked our cruise specifically to snorkel Roatan & Belize. We've decided to attempt the kidney!

We use one of these for our jetski paperwork, and it works well too for snorkeling. I put it around my neck and under my rashguard, and it doesn't bother me at all. We also have a smaller one that just holds some money and a credit card (or sea pass), but I like the larger one better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221633319767?lpid=82&chn=ps

I think we picked it up at Sports Authority, but it was several years ago. Never leaks.

But isn't it one of those things that floats? That's the only reason why I have not purchased one. I don't want one that floats. I have been using one that comes in a "belt" form, but I have had problems with it leaking each time. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. We went to Roatan in May 2014 and used all of this info. I just want to add that we did the Victor Bodden driver and loved him for multiple reasons. First, we had reliable transportation (a van for 7 of us) and he took us anywhere we wanted to go and talked to my husband all about the history of an island (my hubby is a history professor at the univ.). But most of all, what we loved the thing about him that we did not pre-arrange. He knew we wanted to do the monkeys and iguanas (we had 3 young kids with us who loved both!) and knew we wanted to go to the beach but not until we arrived did he know we wanted to snorkel. He took us to Paradise Beach (btwn Bananarama and Infinity Bay). It does not have a pool, but we wanted to swim in the ocean and have beach chairs (and restrooms!). They charged us $2/chair and the best thing of the whole day was that he sat there and watched our stuff and told us exactly where the "kidney" was and where to go. It was fantastic. I also want to add that the little ones we had with us were able to see fish right off the shore bc of how close the reef is in places. They LOVED it. My teen boys went further out and ran into the kayak guy everyone talks about (but who I had not heard of before our trip) and he offered to take them out and show them the best parts of the reef. Being totally honest, I thought he was a con man and was going to ask for $ so I just outright asked what it costs and he explained he is paid by the govt. to show tourists around, to make sure they are safe and to have a good time. He kayaked with us out to the shelf and boy, was that as far as I went! It is amazing to look that far down, but it wasn't for me. However, my boys went with him and I felt 100% safe. He spent probably 45 min with us and we saw tons of fish. So, if you see him in the orange/reddish kayak, swim up to him and talk to him bc he will truly help you navigate and enjoy the reef. We are going back in June, but with a different group and I intend to do the exact same excursions again.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. We went to Roatan in May 2014 and used all of this info. .

You are most welcome! I am pleased as punch this thread has been helpful to you.

What a wonderful day you had on the island!

• 4 weeks later...

I am replying to a thread that was from 2013 but I feel like it still ought to be addressed for others.

The snorkeling at Tabyana Beach is amazing. We are not easily impressed. We parked at the Infinity Bay Resort (free wi fi there by the way) and walked down to the beach.

They have a large rubber beach play set in the water with rafts, slides etc for $10 each but we were there for the snorkeling.

If you go out beyond those blow ups, in a leftish kind of direction (45 degrees) you will come to that kidney shape area everyone talks about. It is one of our favorite places to snorkel by excursion, foot, cab or by bus. We love to take public transit but couldn't do that in Roatan so we booked a tour guide. There are wonderful caves about 10 feet down that my husband and son swam through with lots of fish to see. There was so much from the top that I didn't miss anything being up above. It was so gorgeous. It was the best place for us until the next day at Cemetery Beach, Grand Cayman. That is our favorite place to snorkel.

We booked through Witsell James from a recommendation here on CC. We are using him again Feb 2015 since last year he was so wonderful. He is the most delightful man and the cost was $20 each for the whole day to have him for ourselves. He just waited at the beach with us and took us where we wanted to go. We have 5 children and they all loved him and agreed it was incredible there.

We are all experienced snorkelers and this place is a Caribbean gem. Been to 19 islands and 6 cruises for one purpose; snorkeling.

We were on the Carnival Glory and our port was Mahogany Bay so we HAD to use a service.

Hope this helps. Blessings, Brenda

I am replying to a thread that was from 2013 but I feel like it still ought to be addressed for others.

The snorkeling at Tabyana Beach is amazing. We are not easily impressed. We parked at the Infinity Bay Resort (free wi fi there by the way) and walked down to the beach.

They have a large rubber beach play set in the water with rafts, slides etc for $10 each but we were there for the snorkeling.

If you go out beyond those blow ups, in a leftish kind of direction (45 degrees) you will come to that kidney shape area everyone talks about. It is one of our favorite places to snorkel by excursion, foot, cab or by bus. We love to take public transit but couldn't do that in Roatan so we booked a tour guide. There are wonderful caves about 10 feet down that my husband and son swam through with lots of fish to see. There was so much from the top that I didn't miss anything being up above. It was so gorgeous. It was the best place for us until the next day at Cemetery Beach, Grand Cayman. That is our favorite place to snorkel.

We booked through Witsell James from a recommendation here on CC. We are using him again Feb 2015 since last year he was so wonderful. He is the most delightful man and the cost was $20 each for the whole day to have him for ourselves. He just waited at the beach with us and took us where we wanted to go. We have 5 children and they all loved him and agreed it was incredible there.

We are all experienced snorkelers and this place is a Caribbean gem. Been to 19 islands and 6 cruises for one purpose; snorkeling.

We were on the Carnival Glory and our port was Mahogany Bay so we HAD to use a service.

Hope this helps. Blessings, Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great thread!

Also, I came across another aerial photo of the snorkeling spots at West Bay Beach that I though others might find helpful as well...

That is a really cool picture that sums up this thread really well.

This thread has been invaluable for my trip coming up next month. Thanks to all the contributors.

• 3 weeks later...

We also wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. We had previously been to Tabyana and did not see much of anything (I now have no idea why we missed so much). We used all of this info last week, we took the Tabyana beach day excursion on the ship and went out 3 different times and saw different stuff each time. Like others, we have also snorkeled all over the Caribbean and have also found that what others describe as "great" snorkeling is dead coral and a few grunts. This was by far, not that! The snorkeling was absolutely amazing!!

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the very happy list of people who snorkeled the kidney! I literally did not want to leave the water. Even though the beach was crowded, we had the kidney to ourselves for at least an hour and the water was very clear. DH is not as avid as me, but even he was awestruck.

We went to Infinity Bay first but they were full, so we went instead to the Mayan Princess. The walk down the beach to IB was less than five minutes. We had our own masks and snorkels and rented fins from a guy on the beach for $7pp.

We had a delicious lunch at the MP and some monkey lalas, followed by more beach time and a nap. What a perfect day! Thank you all so, so much for this thread and all the great information here.

IMG_1568.jpg

Because of this thread and a fellow cruiser who raved about Roatan, I just booked my husband and I a 10 day vacation, on West Bay Beach for 7 days and Little French Key for 3, Clarion Suites Pineapple villas for next February.

Along with the information on here and on trip advisor I am ready to do some amazing snorkeling.

Thanks for everyone's contributions!

monkey la la:

1 oz. Vodka

1 oz. Kahlua

2 oz. cream of coconut

1 scoop of vanilla ice cream (or 4 oz. milk plus cup of ice)

1. Put all ingredients in a blender. Mix until smooth.

It tastes a bit like a super rich iced coffee, with a kick. Delicious!

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Snorkelers! It's my turn to say THANK YOU!! for this thread. I have read every post, saved maps and made notes for our upcoming visit to Roatan! We are cruising on Royal Caribbean and will be on Roatan, Thursday, May 28th. I appreciate all of the gracious and generous people who have posted there knowledge, advice, pictures and just shared their love of snorkeling with others.

We have been to Roatan a couple of times before. Once my husband went diving and I did a snorkel excursion with Upachaya with friends, which was fabulous! Saw lots of sea life and beautiful reef! Great time! The second time we were with family and did ziplining and a beach, but I don't remember where.

Our tentative plan is to taxi to Infinity Beach Resort, get a chair, snorkel the map, eat, lay in the sun, snorkel some more, etc... until time to go to the ship :D Praying for calm seas and sunshine! I will post when we get back and let you all know how much we loved it! Thanks again!

Our tentative plan is to taxi to Infinity Beach Resort, get a chair, snorkel the map, eat, lay in the sun, snorkel some more, etc... until time to go to the ship :D Praying for calm seas and sunshine! I will post when we get back and let you all know how much we loved it! Thanks again!

Most wonderful!!

Be aware, Infinity is a first come first served kinda place, though I have heard one can email a week in advance, I am not sure they will confirm a spot for you, if they do, take a copy of the email mail with you.

Have a grand time!

Most wonderful!!

Be aware, Infinity is a first come first served kinda place, though I have heard one can email a week in advance, I am not sure they will confirm a spot for you, if they do, take a copy of the email mail with you.

Have a grand time!

Oh thanks Guest 2000! I emailed them last night, so I am waiting for their reply. If it falls through, then maybe we'll get a chair at Bananarama. Even thought about the Tabyana Beach break through the ship, but that would be like $120 for two. Hoping to spend less than that!:)

Oh thanks Guest 2000! I emailed them last night, so I am waiting for their reply. If it falls through, then maybe we'll get a chair at Bananarama. Even thought about the Tabyana Beach break through the ship, but that would be like $120 for two. Hoping to spend less than that!:)

I understand... Ya might wait til you arrive, there are plenty of places along the beach and some so not advertise.

You are correct, Tabyana and Infinity are the closest to the walk in reef snorkeling. Hmm unless Grand Roatan is offering chairs the next closest would be Paradise Beach Club then Bananarama.

I have never heard a consistent price from Infinity, I was always under the impression it was more expensive than most of the places in the beach.

Have a delightful time. Clear skies and waters to to you!

I understand... Ya might wait til you arrive, there are plenty of places along the beach and some so not advertise.

You are correct, Tabyana and Infinity are the closest to the walk in reef snorkeling. Hmm unless Grand Roatan is offering chairs the next closest would be Paradise Beach Club then Bananarama.

I have never heard a consistent price from Infinity, I was always under the impression it was more expensive than most of the places in the beach.

Have a delightful time. Clear skies and waters to to you!

I heard back from Infinity today...$25 pp for beach/pool, showers, restrooms and $25 pp transportation if you want them to arrange it. I think I'm going to take your advice and just wait until we arrive and then find something.

Thank you so much!! And..to you as well!:)