Choosing a vacation with kids...

moesyk4

My DH and I have said for years we would like to do a big trip for our 10 year anniversary, which is coming up next summer (2015). We really can't afford to do more than one cruise every two years, and just took one this past January, so barring something major that would be it for another 2 years.

We currently have a 4 year old son who came with us on our January cruise and LOVED it. We also loved having him along, although we weren't impressed by the kids club on the Carnival Breeze and so didn't get as much alone time as we'd like to try out Serenity and such, so there is definitely still pros and cons.

There is a chance our foster son will become adoptable and he would be a little over 2 at that age. We are also pregnant with our second and she will be a little over a year at that point.

DH and I went on our last cruise, a 5 day one with 2 hotel nights, when DS was just over 2 and although we definitely enjoyed ourselves, by the 4th day on the boat (and 5th day of vacation), we really, really missed him and were somewhat ready to be home.

That being said, I have absolutely no desire, and I mean none, to take a child younger than 3 on a cruise. We want to be able to utilized the kid's club and not have the entire cruise stressful dealing with naps, not being able to do any excursions we like, etc. With DS this past January, we were able to adapt nicely with his age, which was great.

Ok, so on to my point. I've got a deposit down on a 7 day for the two of us for next summer on the Oasis of the Seas and am very excited about it. But I am torn as well! I think it would be extremely difficult to leave DS at home when we know how much he loved cruising, especially knowing it could be a long time until he can go (by then, he'd be 7 years old). But then, we won't have any time as a couple besides a couple of hours here and there, and wouldn't be able to afford another couple's cruise.

Also, I have a feeling 7 days is going to be way too long away from the other two and we will be homesick by the end...I'm a big supporter of couple's times alone, but a week is a long time at that age. I would prefer not to do a shorter cruise though, have done that before and it was way too fast.

Any suggestions, tips, ideas I'm not thinking of? I know we have time, but if possible would like to book our "preferred cabin" in advance with the option of changing if need be.

I think I would look at a different trip. I don't know where you live but I would find a great place you would enjoy within driving distance and take a nanny for the kids. Kids and nanny in one room and you and your husband in another. Maybe you spend mornings with the kids and lunch and then the nanny takes over for naps afternoon activities and dinner, you and your husband say goodnight but have your afternoons and evenings as alone time.

Just an idea

We are a cruise loving family but last year DS finished his first year of university and I found a 2 bd 2 bath condo in Florida for 2 weeks. It was much more affordable than a cruise and we enjoyed it immensely. And one time we stayed at a place in the mountains with little cabins. There ante so many fun, romantic places. A cruise isn't the only way to have a memorable trip - although it is a great one:D

Edited by onthelake

I found leaving my first the hardest, and by the time #4 and #5 got here (6 years later...), I really appreciated the time off from being a SAHM to little ones. Just wait - you might feel the same. My kids LOVE spending time at the grandparents, and are very spoiled there. They have no issue with us going without them.

We always tried to take a trip without children each year, and they were left at home, having a great time being spoiled by relatives. Leave the guilt at home. You and your husband need to nurture your relationship. You are a better parent that way.

I agree with onthelake. If you will be unhappy leaving them, I'd choose a different vacation. Look at all inclusive (try Mexico) that has a nursery or a kid's club. It's a lot like a cruise, you are just staying in the same place.

Read this thread for some thoughts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008206&page=2

Edited by 6rugrats

Take your oldest and do a cruise with a better youth program that will keep him entertained day and night. I think the Oasis fits the bill in that area. I am a single Mom and my son spent so much time in the youth program when he was younger that I had plenty of freedom. In fact, he stayed up later than me and would call from the youth program when he wanted to be picked up.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Oasis of the Seas (and other Royal Caribbean ships) has a nursery for children aged 6 months - 3 years. They also have in cabin babysitting for kids over 1 year of age.

I do agree, however, with 3 little ones, that a land vacation may be a better idea. We did a lot of timeshare vacations when my kids were that age. Having a full kitchen was very useful. There are a lot of very family-friendly timeshare resorts, some of which have kids clubs similar to those on cruises.

Its never much for me to be somewhere constantly thinking "dd would love this" - we took DD on an anniversary trip and my mom says we need to leave her home for another trip - BUT will def pick something more adult so I dont miss her and feel bad the whole time.

and also on a cruise you cant just call and talk to them very cheaply every day and night!

Age 7 is PERFECT for Oasis! The kid's club is wonderful, and that's the age where kids really appreciate the attention they get!

But, there are TONS of other non-cruise things to do and places to go! Cruises are great, but they are not the "be all and end all" of vacationing!!