Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

Not heard anything about it. Izmir is hundreds of miles away from where the terrorist incidents have been, so can't see the need.

We are sailing into there in September and have been there before, so not really bothered, we could do with an extra sea day on our itinerary.

Ship mate has not ever shown Izmir on 5/24 sailing since I booked over a year ago, it has always said Sea Day. I'm not putting any stock into thinking that is where we'll find out first from should there be a change of plans.

Edited by AngMo44

Strange, I have just looked on Shipmate for our cruise and Izmir is shown as a sea day.

Yet on a recent updated booking confirmation from Carnival, following a price drop Izmir is still shown.

I think we should just wait and see for now.

Long time lurker here.

We are actually booked on one of the Vista Mediterranean sailings this coming summer. Before seeing this thread, I had actually already reached out to a Carnival representative regarding this exact matter: Is Izmir still on, while keeping in mind that some other significant cruise lines have dropped it.

Here is essentially the answer I received today: "We are presently monitoring and evaluating the matter and are in routine contact with global security experts. At this time, Turkey remains on select itineraries of Carnival Vista, which is our only ship operating in Europe in 2016."

With Carnival, having a history of taking the course of least regret regarding some matters like this. It wouldn't surprise me, to see the port dropped and another picked up (maybe Mykonos?). Either way, we are very excited!

Edited by Zionstorm

I had just reached out on Twitter and got the same response but shorter, definitely not a yes we are going. Won't ruin my cruise if we miss it, but a big disappointment for sure!

I agree, that the responses are very canned and scripted BUT they are not a resounding YES. Honestly, in my gut, I think Carnival will drop the port. I hope not, but kind of getting that feeling. Now, what does that mean? Sure it won't ruin anything (although some people are really looking forward to it), but before they make a final decision. I hope they have a backup plan and another port on the books. I cruised in 2009, and we missed a port last minute due to the "swine flu"...so if they do drop, but replace. I would be satisfied personally.

Edited by Zionstorm

I agree, that the responses are very canned and scripted BUT they are not a resounding YES. Honestly, in my gut, I think Carnival will drop the port. I hope not, but kind of getting that feeling. Now, what does that mean? Sure it won't ruin anything (although some people are really looking forward to it), but before they make a final decision. I hope they have a backup plan and another port on the books. I cruised in 2009, and we missed a port last minute due to the "swine flu"...so if they do drop, but replace. I would be satisfied personally.

Yes, that's what I was saying :) canned and very much NOT a yes.

The latest bombing happened 586 KM (364 miles) from Izmir. That is quite a distance and unless something happens in the very close vicinity of Izmir or Ephesus I don't think they will drop the port. Heck, right now they are one of the only cruise lines still making any stop in Turkey and I think for those of us who want to visit that is a huge selling point right now.

The latest bombing happened 586 KM (364 miles) from Izmir. That is quite a distance and unless something happens in the very close vicinity of Izmir or Ephesus I don't think they will drop the port. Heck, right now they are one of the only cruise lines still making any stop in Turkey and I think for those of us who want to visit that is a huge selling point right now.

Not only that but it was almost assuredly some faction of the Kurds given they only went after the Turkish military.

But, that's doesn't mean they wouldn't cancel Izmir. I think it likely depends on if they're losing bookings. If they are losing them because of the Turkey stop, then they may have no choice but to cancel.

And just my opinion here.

I don't thing the current terrorists are a big issue with travel to Turkey.

The bigger issue with travel to Turkey is linked below. Having a few hot heads is not the best.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-18/kurds-warn-turkey-of-big-war-with-russia-if-troops-enter-syria?cmpid=yhoo.headline

And just my opinion here.

I don't thing the current terrorists are a big issue with travel to Turkey.

The bigger issue with travel to Turkey is linked below. Having a few hot heads is not the best.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-18/kurds-warn-turkey-of-big-war-with-russia-if-troops-enter-syria?cmpid=yhoo.headline

Yeah, I agree, it's more than a single issue. Seems to me Carnival historically follows the path of least regret. I'm just not sure if they want to pull up and let off 4000 people into a situation that may be considered "high risk" whether it truly is or isn't. Guess we will see what happens!

• 3 weeks later...

Izmir is currently in the center of the refugee-crisis of Europe. A lot of refugees try to reach Greece from Izmir and surroundings. The Vista will literally sail alongside dinghies filled with refugees when it's navigating into Izmir. Media here in Holland are reporting refugees with their life-jackets on in the centre of Izmir.

Doesn't seem like a place where you want to take a cruiseship carrying 4000 passengers. Seems akward for both the passengers and the refugees themselves.

Strange Carnival doesn't seem to take any action in this matter with the first cruises coming up.

Izmir is currently in the center of the refugee-crisis of Europe. A lot of refugees try to reach Greece from Izmir and surroundings. The Vista will literally sail alongside dinghies filled with refugees when it's navigating into Izmir. Media here in Holland are reporting refugees with their life-jackets on in the centre of Izmir.

Doesn't seem like a place where you want to take a cruiseship carrying 4000 passengers. Seems akward for both the passengers and the refugees themselves.

Strange Carnival doesn't seem to take any action in this matter with the first cruises coming up.

I just don't think they will cancel Izmir for that reason unless there are lots of complaints after the first few cruises.I think they would cancel the port if they consider the port to be unsafe.

Most will be taking tours and going on buses to locations. There wont be much interaction with refugees unless you choose to interact with them. Moreover, they arent unsafe. They left a situation that was unsafe.

There are lots of stories sadly of Syrian refugees selling fake life jackets to their fellow Syrians. Real life jackets, that is, once that actually float, are tremendously expensive and once bought, no one lets them out of their sight. That is why they are always carrying or wearing them. The better ones are hard to come by according to the media.

Although it, the refugees and the situation in general, might be 'hard' to look at (akward is not the word I would use considering for them, its life or death), its not unsafe and if Carnival truly felt it would be, they will not stop there. There are 2 months before the cruise. They have a lot of time to make final decisions.

Edited by goldesq