Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

If we don't have a non EU port would we have to pay VAT on board? That would definitely impact what people spend onboard if everything were to cost 20ish% more. Are there any other feasible non EU ports?

Yes. VAT on everything purchased. Drinks, shops, etc.

Note that on my Ship Mate App, our visit to Izmir on 9th October aboard the Vista has been replaced with a Sea Day, do they know something that we don't ?

It hasn't been replaced it has always shown as a sea day. The developers are aware and have been saying they will fix it but have not so far.

Note that on my Ship Mate App, our visit to Izmir on 9th October aboard the Vista has been replaced with a Sea Day, do they know something that we don't ?

That app just stinks. It's been wrong on the 5/24 sailing for over a year. I emailed them a month and a half ago and a couple more times. Despite using words like ASAP and priority in multiple communications, they haven't changed it.

About ready to delete that App. Not impressed.

Santorini can handle multiple ships, it is a tender port.

Can you imagine getting 4000 people off the ship by tender? When I was there on Celebrity it took until 3 PM to get everyone off and then they had to hold the ship getting back because the only way to get back down the hill is walk or Cable car.We waited in line for the cable car for 2 hours.I guess we could have walked if we felt like slipping and sliding down the hill in donkey poop.Not fun at all.

Mykonos is also a tender port and a very small town.Neither one of those would solve the Vat problem.

Edited by letsgo39

That VAT issue makes me think that Carnival is probably looking at each individual sailing and may end up making multiple changes to some sailings. It is not just about dropping a port. That would be an easy decision. They may actually alter several days in any given itinerary dependent on where Izmir fell in the itinerary and what non EU port they can plug in.

That VAT issue makes me think that Carnival is probably looking at each individual sailing and may end up making multiple changes to some sailings. It is not just about dropping a port. That would be an easy decision. They may actually alter several days in any given itinerary dependent on where Izmir fell in the itinerary and what non EU port they can plug in.

What options are there to avoid the VAT if you don't stop in Turkey? I don't really know but I also can't think of another reasonable option? Maybe a touch n go stop in Izmir?

I also wonder what the average VAT cost is per person if there's all EU ports?

For those of us on the sailings that overnight in Athens, they also have the option of going somewhere else after Rhodes and not arriving in Athens until June 21st. I'm a little hesitant now to continue all my obsessive planning. :confused:

For those of us on the sailings that overnight in Athens, they also have the option of going somewhere else after Rhodes and not arriving in Athens until June 21st. I'm a little hesitant now to continue all my obsessive planning. :confused:

I feel that is one of the least likely scenarios. Imo, the options are:

1. Replace Izmir with a different port on same day.

2. Go to somewhere like Dubrovnik after Naples. Then slide the sea day, Crete and Rhodes back one day. The ship would then catch up on its schedule and port in Athens as scheduled.

3. Simply make it a sea day.

4. Nothing changes.

5. Something else much less likely.

These are all scenarios for sailings from Barcelona to Athens. Could be different for different itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Zionstorm

I am pretty certain that Croatia has become an EU member.

It is.

I think the VAT expense may be inevitable.

That's why they say expect the unexpected when traveling.

or

Pack fewer clothes and bring more money :D

The order of ports on these itineraries varies. For the May 24 sailing Izmir is the first stop out of Athens with a sea day after and then Rhodes, which will certainly limit the options. I doubt they will change all the dates of all the other stops, particularly on a May cruise - it's just too close. But looking at the map of Western Europe, the only real options if abandoning Turkey would be other Greek Islands.

CCL has a stock answer about "watching it carefully" and "making quick decisions" that they are giving everyone.

We will just have to wait and see.

A little bit of news for what it's worth..As some of you know I've been following a few different threads on the "Turkey topic" in different forums. I just read this on the HAL forum..copied and pasted it here for you..

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

Also, Here's the link to the actual thread on the HAL forum. This quote was from post #22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334361&page=2

I realize this isn't Carnival but HAL is owned by the Carnival Corp..Anyway, I thought I would share the info with you all.

Edited by Lil2Angelic

Mykonos is also a tender port and a very small town.Neither one of those would solve the Vat problem.

Bummer about Mykonos being a tender port. I'm all for visiting Izmir and hope we visit it as we're booked on the May 1st sailing. Secretly though, if was to be canceled, I've been hoping we'd sail to Mykonos.

But getting that many people off/on via tender just might be what folks find exciting since it's not what we were expecting at all.

CCL has a stock answer about "watching it carefully" and "making quick decisions" that they are giving everyone.

We will just have to wait and see.

May 1 - 5, I will be eagerly awaiting a less than stocked answers from CCL if something isn't said before we board the ship on May 1st.

May 6th, we are scheduled to be docking in Izmir at 9 AM.

Stay tuned...

A little bit of news for what it's worth..As some of you know I've been following a few different threads on the "Turkey topic" in different forums. I just read this on the HAL forum..copied and pasted it here for you..

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

Also, Here's the link to the actual thread on the HAL forum. This quote was from post #22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334361&page=2

I realize this isn't Carnival but HAL is owned by the Carnival Corp..Anyway, I thought I would share the info with you all.

Was it Istanbul or Izmir they cancelled? I was thinking Istanbul.

As with a hurricane, Carnival probably wants to wait and see until closer to the cruises.

Was it Istanbul or Izmir they cancelled? I was thinking Istanbul.

As with a hurricane, Carnival probably wants to wait and see until closer to the cruises.

I guess my only thing is, what exactly should they wait and see about? It's not like it's some secret what's happening around that part of the world. It's different than a hurricane, because it's not going to instantly change course or be better. Although, maybe next year? Totally could be different. By the summer? Unlikely.

To me, obviously with no experience in that industry, but experience in multiday large scale events etc. It seems like such a cut and dry answer.

Although, like someone else mentioned they may be waiting to announce alternative plans for all bookings up to X date, before saying anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Zionstorm