Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

The VAT is refundable and only charged if the purchase is over $100.

They charged it on everything (on board purchases) when we were on the Sunshine in 2013. Also the only refundable portion is on what you take home, not on what you consume on the ship.

This part I'm posting next may be wrong but I thought the refund part also came at the airport?

They charged it on everything (on board purchases) when we were on the Sunshine in 2013. Also the only refundable portion is on what you take home, not on what you consume on the ship.

This part I'm posting next may be wrong but I thought the refund part also came at the airport?

Here is an article from 2014 detailing VAT on a cruise. Note, I believe it has gone up from the 18% quoted to 22%.

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise-travel/insights/on-europe-cruises-getting-acquainted-with-vat

Here is an article from 2014 detailing VAT on a cruise. Note, I believe it has gone up from the 18% quoted to 22%.

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise-travel/insights/on-europe-cruises-getting-acquainted-with-vat

Thanks I think the only part now I'm not clear on is the difference btw a Barcelona to Barcelona (spain-spain) vs. a Barcelona to non-Spain but EU port.

I also dug up this old thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1902148

My only expectation is if our cruise doesn't stop in a non-EU port is that we'll in one way or another get socked with a high VAT. The EU countries seem to like any possible tax they can impose on you.

Edited by fuddrules

The EU countries seem to like any possible tax they can impose on you.

Yea, so do some of these US states and their municipalities. We all know what's certain in life. Taxes and death!

Thanks I think the only part now I'm not clear on is the difference btw a Barcelona to Barcelona (spain-spain) vs. a Barcelona to non-Spain but EU port.

I also dug up this old thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1902148

My only expectation is if our cruise doesn't stop in a non-EU port is that we'll in one way or another get socked with a high VAT. The EU countries seem to like any possible tax they can impose on you.

I think the example was a RT cruise but the VAT works the same even if you debark in a different EU port.

Refunds are at the airport and maybe elsewhere. Allow enough time and have your paperwork.

On some large purchases, the merchant might rebate the VAT to you at the time of purchase if you have you passport and other information.

From our PVP

Update on upcoming Vista cruises for May and June:

Based on expressions of concern from our guests with respect to security in Izmir, Turkey and the recently updated travel advisory from the U.S. State Department with reference to Turkey and specifically Izmir, Carnival Cruise Line has decided to cancel Carnival Vista’s first four scheduled visits to that port. Those visits were scheduled for May 6, May 22, June 19 and June 22. The call at Izmir will be replaced with a Fun Day at Sea.

Subsequent calls in Izmir remain scheduled at this time. However, we will continue to monitor the security environment in Izmir and make a final determination on future visits at a later date.

Izmir is the only port in Turkey on Carnival Vista’s Mediterranean itineraries.

Nooooooooooooooo!! motherclucker.

Just logged into My Cruise Manager. Itinerary gone. Izmir no longer listed under shore excursions.

That's weird, our cruise leaves on June 21st with a stop in Izmir on June 22nd, and I just checked and it is still listed that way on our itinerary, at least for now...

Nooooooooooooooo!! motherclucker.

Just logged into My Cruise Manager. Itinerary gone. Izmir no longer listed under shore excursions.

Same here.

I'm a little surprised they didn't add a port but I guess with so few sea days as it is they may figure quite a few people will welcome a second sea day.

The +$300 price drop over the last 2 weeks while this has been up in the air should cover a chunk of the extra VAT charge. Just looking for a silver lining here. Ephesus is on my bucket list so I suppose this will just give me an excuse to return another time.

Not on our June 11th cruise. Just looked and it appears there are NO (Zero) rooms available right now (This only on Carnival.com). That's a huge difference than yesterday??:confused:

Edited by fuddrules

UPDATE:

We are NOT getting any On board credit for the missed port.

We are only receiving port fees refund plus refund of excursions.

Confirmed by John Heald on Facebook.

Luckily, my travel Insurance covers a cancelled port :D

Izmir has been officially dropped. And a sea day has been added. Just received the email.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yep and they do say they've add more time in Crete and Rhodes. I think an hour in Crete and 2 hours in Rhodes?? This is for the June 11th cruise.

Yep and they do say they've add more time in Crete and Rhodes. I think an hour in Crete and 2 hours in Rhodes?? This is for the June 11th cruise.

I'm actually very happy about that. Especially for Rhodes.

I'm not the decision maker at Carnival, but I'll take a stab at why they are making it a sea day as opposed to another port, I'm thinking that because they aren't cancelling Izmir across the board, just a few cruises at a time, that it would be too much hassle/expense to negotiate for port time in other feasible locations. I suppose if they were to just cancel Izmir across the board they might have been more motivated to replace it with another port....just armchair quarterbacking here, so I don't really know....just trying to guess.

Has anyone from the June 21st sailing heard anything? We have not received an email and Izmir is still showing on our itinerary.

Someone said the first 4 stops that were scheduled so, basically May and June cruises, have been dropped.

Has anyone from the June 21st sailing heard anything? We have not received an email and Izmir is still showing on our itinerary.

Only the first four sailings have been cancelled so far.