Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

I hope they dont make it a sea day. I want to at least have the option of going somewhere. I am going to check to see if Mykonos ever had such a large ship dock there. My guess is no and it would involve a tender (to Santorini also). I would tend to think if they have to do tenders, they might skip it. Isnt that more work and expensive (even though they dont have to pay a fee for docking)? Dont tenders require different docking facilities than a ship? Maybe Mykynos and Santorini dont have that. Just thinking out loud.

Croatia would be the ideal situation for myself. Just don't see how it would make sense in the itinerary though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good point...

I personally wouldn't mind a sea day. Brand new ship to explore, I am sure we will keep ourselves entertained. :)

RCCL travels to Mykonos with their Radiance class (Jewel at 90K tonnage) and Vision class (70K) as does NCL with the Jade at 93K tonnage being the largest.

RCCL travels to Santorini with Jewel (and some smaller) at 90K and NCL goes with the Jade (90K) and other smaller ships.

I am guessing that we would have to tender to both ports.

The MSC MAGNIFICA was in Mykonos earlier today and she is only 95K tons

We visited both Santorini & Mykonos recently aboard Celebrity Reflection 125 Tonnes, and we tendered in both, these ports were the highlight of our 10 day cruise.

And there is the answer. Tendering it is. Thanks Limpit.

I vote for either Mykonos or Santorini if Izmir is dropped. Unfortunately, Carnival is not calling me and asking for my input.

Limpit, did you travel to Athens the day before or after Santorini or Mykonos? Just checking to see if time-wise, its possible. I assume Mykonos is but wasnt sure about Santorini.

Other Vista sailings include Dubrovnik (Croatia), Corfu, Sardinia, Palma de Mallorca.

Seems like if they were going to do a substitute they would switch to one of these...

Except that the stop has to be on the way to Athens and within a evenings travel. I am not too sure any of those are (or are they)?

US government just "ordered the departure of family members of U.S.

government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family

members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces..."

Turned out that Celebrity's Turkey port of calls Bodrum and Kusadasi are

in Mugla and Izmir provinces respectively. Wonder if Celebrity is going

to change their itineraries.. I am booked on one of those Celebrity cruises,

now I am having second thoughts..

US government just "ordered the departure of family members of U.S.

government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family

members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces..."

Turned out that Celebrity's Turkey port of calls Bodrum and Kusadasi are

in Mugla and Izmir provinces respectively. Wonder if Celebrity is going

to change their itineraries.. I am booked on one of those Celebrity cruises,

now I am having second thoughts..

Wiz:

when is your cruise?

June 27 - Reflection.

I would check the May 1 sailing of Vista and see what Carnival does. It might be a good indication of what other lines are doing. I wonder if there are any cruise lines sailing to that area before. If you do a little research and find out, then check the roll calls and see if people post about their itinerary changes.

If you hear of anything, come back here and let us know. I am sure we all would be interested.

Today, the Pentagon pulled all U.S. military families out of Izmir. I am hoping they replace the port with something else, but I can't imagine they will stop there if it isn't considered safe for U.S. military families.

That's what we have been discussing here as well. Read through, but overall, agreed.

I think today's news changes that article significantly. No way the government will advice travel, when it doesn't even want families to stick around a protected base.

I totally agree, but I thought I would post it because it shows some of the itinerary changes/substitutions the different cruise lines have made. I know you guys were discussing possible port substitutions.

Today, the Pentagon pulled all U.S. military families out of Izmir. I am hoping they replace the port with something else, but I can't imagine they will stop there if it isn't considered safe for U.S. military families.

Where is the info about this? I did not think this was done yet.

see this CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/pentagon-orders-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey/index.html

"Family members will also be evacuated from facilities in Izmir and Mugla, according to a Pentagon statement."

I was giving my husband a hard time because he said he wasn't getting off the boat, but I think I will follow suit. I wish they would say something sooner rather than later about the changes.

Side note: If there is an extra day at sea, do you get a refund for the port fees for the port they eliminated?

see this CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/pentagon-orders-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey/index.html

"Family members will also be evacuated from facilities in Izmir and Mugla, according to a Pentagon statement."

I was giving my husband a hard time because he said he wasn't getting off the boat, but I think I will follow suit. I wish they would say something sooner rather than later about the changes.

Side note: If there is an extra day at sea, do you get a refund for the port fees for the port they eliminated?

Yes on refund.

see this CNN article:

Yes, they would credit you the ports fees.

Pro tip, by the way: if you are in the good habit of not booking excursions with the cruise line, you may want to consider making an exception for Izmir (Ephesus, Pergamon, etc.). If the ship were to be diverted, you'd be assured of an easy refund. Not to say that an good independent outfit wouldn't refund, but it may not be 100% guaranteed.

Pro tip, by the way: if you are in the good habit of not booking excursions with the cruise line, you may want to consider making an exception for Izmir (Ephesus, Pergamon, etc.). If the ship were to be diverted, you'd be assured of an easy refund. Not to say that an good independent outfit wouldn't refund, but it may not be 100% guaranteed.

Thought about this a couple of months ago, and we decided we just weren't going to book anything, until closer until sail date...if port is still scheduled.

Reading through some other places currently as well. Israel told all citizens to leave the country as well. Hopefully CCL updates this soon. This shouldn't be a hard choice to alter things after today.

Ephesus Shuttle does not charge in advance.Considering the attack last year on the cruise ship excursions a ship excursion is the last thing I would want to do.I have been to both Mykonos and Santorini on Celebrity and both ports were tender ports. It took until 3 pm to get everyone off the ship in Santorini.it was a mess and that was a much smaller ship.I would not mind at all a sea day but I have been to just about all the Med ports so probably look at it different.

see this CNN article:

The article said "will also" but that did not mean that it would be done today. I have not read anything saying this is being done immediately in Izmir and Mugla.

I did ask on another roll call about whether their stops in Kudasi were canceled. They leave on 4/15 and 4/25. I mentioned I was just curious and asking even though I am on another roll call. Someone thought I was starting a rumor. I cant win.