Main Dining Room-worth the hassle and inflexibility with teens?

jeast

I can make reservations for MTD in the main dining room, but I'm wondering if I even want to. Our family likes the occasional relaxed meal, but reports of 1.5 to 2 hour dining times and possible waits on Jewel for our upcoming Med cruise is making me wonder if it is worth it to make plans when I have teens. The first night is difficult with trying to get them into the teen open house and evening get-together if they decide to go to those.

We will probably hit Giovanni's on our last sea day and possibly Izumi (sp?) at some point if it works out.

I'd love to hear your experiences with the MDR with meal times, flexibility and teens.

Thanks!

We dined in the MDR (well in those days, there was that or the buffet) with our kids starting when they were about 4 and 6. Never had any issues. And we had late dining. When they were little, sometimes if they finished, their cousins would take them down to the kids club but by the time they were teens, they loved cruising and loved trying the new stuff in MDR.

Worth it. Also been doing late dining in MDR with my bunch since they were 5 or so, and it's the best family time on the ship. We generally are all coming and going all day and it's the one time we have to get together, tell stories of the day, laugh, and (sort of) plan the next day. Now they are 13 and 18 and it's about the only time I see them[emoji23]

Last year we went on a cruse with 20 of us. In terms of teens there were 2 19 year old's, 1 18 year old, 1 17 year old, 2 14 year olds and 2 13 year old's.

Every night we went to MDR and had the set 6pm time. Never had an issue, they went off and did their own thing most the day, but dinner always worked out fine.

Great. I was able to make MTD reservations for each night. That way we can go if we want or hit the windjammer if we want.

I don't think I'm over stressing. I think everyone wants to make the most of their time on ship and avoid long lines and unnecessary hassle once onboard. That's why I stress a bit NOW. :)

Great. I was able to make MTD reservations for each night. That way we can go if we want or hit the windjammer if we want.

I don't think I'm over stressing. I think everyone wants to make the most of their time on ship and avoid long lines and unnecessary hassle once onboard. That's why I stress a bit NOW. :)

If you and the kids can enjoy an hour or two together than you will have a great time. :D