Is Turkey safe for Tourist?

"Safe" means different things to different people....

There are currently no US Travel warnings or alerts for Turkey, so relatively speaking, it is safe. However, no one can guarantee that any destination (or means of getting there) is 100% safe, especially in the last few years.

If you want to read about all possible security concerns, I'd start here, but keep in mind this list is exhaustive but does not necessarily indicate the likelihood of such events, merely the possibility:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/turkey.html

Is your friend a frequent traveler to places like Turkey and are they level-headed? Or are they someone who rarely travels outside their comfort zone and is not comfortable with large cities and differing cultures?

I would have no hesitation traveling to Turkey and am in fact considering a land trip there in 2016. I have taken previous land trips and made many cruise stops (at 5 different ports) in Turkey -- most recently I spent several days in Istanbul last October before joining a cruise.

I cannot say I ever felt unsafe in Turkey. However, I'd avoid extreme southwestern areas near the border with Syria -- I can't imagine any tour would include that area anyway....

Hope so :D

We will be back there for our 4th visit in a few weeks…… never felt unsafe there and don't expect to this time.

I will say that our cruise line changed our itinerary a bit since we were supposed to be in Istanbul on May 1st…… this is called Labor Day in Turkey and usually involves some demonstrations from those not happy with their economic situation…….. so our cruise line adjusted our schedule to arrive the day after……

I agree with Cruisermom in that many people have VERY low comfort levels when it comes to being in a foreign place with different customs etc….. but for many others that is what is the best thing about travel :)

We love Turkey and the Turkish people…… they have been nothing but friendly and inviting to us.

My friends and I were thinking of doing a land tour of turkey. One of my friend's friends just came back from Turkey and she felt it was unsafe. I don't know what part of Turkey she came back from. Is the capital safe?

In a world where a German co-pilot with no signs of political activism or mental instability drills a plane filled with innocent passengers into a mountainside, I think we have to shift from worrying whether the places we go are safe to whether or not we are safe. Are we each prepared to recognize a potentially dangerous situation and are we prepared to act appropriately?

I'll give you a very simple example. Last year, my husband and I traveled to Normandy, Paris, and London as independent travelers. Having successfully activated international usage on several models of cells phones and one earlier generation smart phone, I casually left activating the international capability of my less-than-one-year old smart phone to the last minute. I assumed the process was the same as previous arrangements. I did not call a help number the phone company recommends that people contact before leaving the US.

Phone-wise our trip was a disaster. In both countries, I encountered different issues that prevented me from being able to place a phone call. I could receive phone calls, but I could not make calls. This situation was frustrating and mildly inconvenient, but viewed from the point of view of safety, the phone situation might have been a disaster. In a real emergency, I would be dependent on other people to get help. I could not take care of my self. I've learned my lesson and I'll be more prepared

We're all pretty good about trading information about minimizing pickpocketing, but I'm proposing we do more. I recommend we develop a list of things we should do to ensure our safety. For example,

1. Create a list of all the port agents for our various cruise lines before we leave home in addition to bringing to daily newsletter with us on shore.

2. Find out about the political situation in a country, so we can recognize how volatile a gathering crowd is likely to become based on the signs they're carrying.

3. In advance, study maps of the area to be visited. Know the walking route back to the ship and where to find public transportation should the need arise. Taxis may be unavailable.

Supposedly, courses exist that are geared to the risk level the casual traveler rather than an aid worker or a business person is likely to encounter. I don't know how good these may be, but this is something to consider as a resource.

Is Turkey safe for tourists? Probably a lot safer then many places in New Jersey :). DW and I have spent time in Turkey, have always enjoyed the country and its people. Even though we go everywhere on our own (including renting cars and driving) we have never felt unsafe. In fact, based on our recommendation DD and her Fiance recently spent 2 weeks traveling around Turkey and loved every day.

Hank

Is the capital safe?
The capital of Turkey is Ankara. You may very well stop there on your land tour, but I have a feeling you were referring to Istanbul, which is a much more interesting place for tourists (and the only one of the two that qualifies as a "Mediterranean Port" ;)).

I cannot say I ever felt unsafe in Turkey. However, I'd avoid extreme southwestern areas near the border with Syria -- I can't imagine any tour would include that area anyway....

It's south-eastern areas that border Syria, not south-western.

We vacation in Turkey every year and I have never felt remotely unsafe there, even when walking on my own. It's a different culture, yes, but isn't that half the point of travel?

Hi, Connie! I am from NJ as well. I have grappled with fears of safety and terrorism as well. I have come to the conclusion that it is up to your own personal comfort level.

I grew inner city where I slept in the closet at night or under my bed so I felt safe enough to sleep. I was a victim of assault numerous times in my life. Because of that, I could never live in any city again. I don't feel safe in many cities, Caribbean resorts where you have to stay behind high fences, walking deserted streets after dark, and high crime areas. I don't gamble either because I don't like risks.

My sister worked in the Twin Towers on 9-11 and didn't go to work that day so she was spared. My other sister and father will not fly after 9-11 and will only stay locally. They are not willing to come out of their comfort zone and regularly criticize me because I travel all over the world. My cousin was permanently injured from a terrorist attack and I feel nervous about terrorist attacks. So my comfort level is not the same as someone who doesn't have these experiences but yet is different from others in my family. I have a cousin who has lived in Istanbul for many years. She is nervous about the current regime but she said that crime is low in Istanbul compared to Detroit in her home state of Michigan. She says to stay out of the Square area where demonstrations regularly take place. She has traveled all over the world with ease so her comfort zone is a little different than mine, but we are each doing what is right for us.

I would ask your friend to give specifics about what she felt unsafe about. Then you can gauge if it is something that you are comfortable with or not. What one person doesn't like may be fine for another person. It is up to you.

Hello!

I am from Malaysia. I am staying in Istanbul this week and I think it is a great city and country. I've been to cappadokkia and it is one of the most magical places I ever visited. It is a nice place and a nice country with so funny and friendly people. I was freely walking even very late at night what I couldn't afford when I was in California, US.)))

Also another thing is you have to assess risk. I live in NJ, but in the pine barrens where deer outnumber people so the risk where I live is different for me than living in Newark or Camden. When people talk about being safer, it is dependable on your own circumstances. It also depends if you engage in high risk behaviors. Traveling alone in high crime areas after dark is not as safe as going to low crime areas during the day.

I think Pet Nit Noy has some good suggestions. The world has become more volatile so the more aware you are, the better. I also am an independent traveler and I research extensively before I embark on any journeys. I worked in the travel industry for many years so it was my job to notify my clients of safety issues

We were in Istanbul for 4 days in Oct. We had private guides and stayed at the Ritz Carlton. We felt safe as there is little crime. However both of us felt uncomfortable at times due to the political situation. We had 3 different guides...an Egyptian female, a Turkish female and a Kurd. All 3 were quite honest with us. The political situation is a tinder box especially with Saudi Arabia invading Yemen today. It's hard to keep track of all the players. We wouldn't return to the Med right now and we love the whole area. If you go prepare for the worst and hope for the best. When you book your plane and cruise reservations buy cancel for any reason insurance. Have a plan B to change your itinerary at the last minute. My sister and brother in law were changing planes at the Madrid airport years ago. Just as they opened the door to the Tarmac a bomb went off. They were knocked to the ground but unhurt. They were on their plane for Malaga as soon as the airport reopened...my sister said she'd paid for this vacation and she was going to enjoy herself! Terror can strike anywhere.

In mho, one can feel unsafe anywhere at any time. My mom grew up right outside Washington DC and has lived in several major cities and traveled extensively yet she often feels unsafe as a passenger in a car driving on a major US highway. I have traveled to Barcelona alone stayed alone, pre-cruise and felt perfectly safe. I will be going to Turkey for the first time next year. Common sense is the key to your own safety, anywhere at anytime. Confidence is your best friend. Be self-confident, have common sense, be aware of your surroundings at all times do your home work is the best advice I think anyone can give.

I feel absolutely safe in Turkey. Turkish people are the friendliest, most welcoming people in the world.

I have not been to Ankara, the place you are reffering to, not many tourists go there. What exactly will you be visiting there?

For me, I have no doubts that the people would be friendly and warm. I enjoy seeing difference cultures because I learn that our way is not the only way. I have gotten more of an education from travel than any school. So when I speak of safety, I am referring to the threat of terrorism and extremists, not the general population. Terrorism is hard to predict. Right now things are so volatile in certain areas. Some areas are more at risk than others. I wish that there could be peace in the world.

I feel absolutely safe in Turkey. Turkish people are the friendliest, most welcoming people in the world.

I have not been to Ankara, the place you are reffering to, not many tourists go there. What exactly will you be visiting there?

Sorry - not Ankara but Antalya - tour of the city, the Antalya Museum and Hadrian’s Gate.

What we find fascinating about this type of thread is that those who bloviate and worry about the safety of cruisers in Turkey can probably not cite a single instance of a major crime against any cruise ship passenger. And yet, many of these same folks would not hesitate to go to a Caribbean island (such as St Thomas) which has a history of crime against tourists and cruisers. Here is an excerpt from a recent report on St Thomas:

"The US Virgin Islands, in fact, has seen a number of violent crimes against tourists. Beginning in October 1993, US Navy ships were prohibited from docking in St Thomas following six assaults on Naval personnel in a period of only two days (Rohter, 1994). Four months earlier, one naval officer had been killed and two sailors assaulted on the same island (Daily Gazette, 1994). The Navy planned to restore shore leave in April 1994, but this plan was put on hold following the murder that month of a swimming instructor from San Diego named Murray Callan, who was shot from behind without warning by two gunmen less than a quarter-mile from his hotel (New York Times, 1994). The Navy finally restored shore leave in November 1994 (Daily Gazette, 1994).

#These incidents have only grown worse. By 2009, the US Virgin Islands was rivalling Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago for the non-coveted mantle of ‘murder capital of the world’ (Mortenson, 2010), and the problem only grew worse with an additional 10 murders in the territory of 100,000 people in 2010 (Shea, 2011). Even tourists on tour buses are not safe when the level of violence is so high. In June 2010, 14-year-old cruise passenger Lizmarie Perez Chapparro was killed while on a chaperoned tour conducted by the cruise ship in St Thomas, when her bus was caught in the crossfire during a gang shootout (Sloan, 2010)."

So perhaps rather than stirring the pot about relatively safe places like Turkey, folks should do their homework on the facts. And we would add that the cruise lines are partially responsible for the situation because they often do not warn their passengers about known local danger.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have noted that in a previous post. Bahamas and Jamaica are other ones. Cruise ship passengers have been murdered and robbed at knife point. In Cruise Ship news, it states that 99% of crime against cruise ship passengers is in the Caribbean which is why when I was offered a free trip there, I declined. Crime in the Bahamas is at a critical level. To be fair, I am aware of a bombing of tourists in 2004 in Turkey but I think there was 5 killed then. I have a cousin who lives in Turkey but she says Detroit is worse.

Connie -- so you are not going to the capital (i.e., Ankara?)

Antalya is a very pleasant city with huge number of European visitors annually. I wouldn't think you have anything to be concerned about there.

(Of course, keeping in mind that we can't predict random events....but I wouldn't look at it as any more dangerous -- in fact, probably less so -- than most any European or American city of the same size....)

What also amazes me about these type of threads is that the question is almost always is initially asked by a north American. It makes me wonder what their governments are telling people about foreign travel?

If you re-read the OP's posts, she explained that she felt uneasy after a friend said she (the friend) did not feel safe. This is the typical scenario. Americans with little travel experience visit someplace where they may not know the language or the currency or any number of things. What a group of more experienced travelers would see as fascinating and desirable is, for the novice traveler, a disquieting experience. They report their feelings of unease to friends and we end up with the string of "Is it safe?" posts.

The government has opinions about which countries are and which are not safe, but these judgments are not reported in the public domain. Ordinarily, a traveler has to go to the State Department web site before knowing what the government thinks. The only time I've seen public references to foreign travel is when the conditions are so obvious it hardly needs the government to tell people anything.

So we've got an ongoing cycle. When timid Americans venture out, some percentage of them get spooked by the experience and report back to friends that Parisians are unfriendly or Turkey is unsafe to name just two recently posted clichés. When posters come to this board asking their "Is it safe?" questions, we do our best to provide a dose of reality, but I wonder how much of what we say gets through. After all, we're a bunch of strangers yet their friends are telling them something quite different.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I do appreciate the "dose of reality" that you provide on the forums. As aa American citizen, I will try to give you an idea of what we hear at home. On the news every day, we hear news of ISIS beheading people, kidnapping people, battles, etc. The info we hear about Turkey is usually that it is a transit area for those joining ISIS. I have a cruise to Turkey in May. Whenever I see my family or they call me, they tell me how irresponsible I am to put my life in jeopardy. When I tell other people about it, they tell me that it is part of the Middle East. Yes, The common Americans don't travel past the beach or Disney World and we live in a large country which is pretty insulated from outside experiences.

I was considering a cruise to Italy in July. I have been to Italy 4 times before and I enjoy it immensely but this year, I see an article on the news almost every day about ISIS smuggling terrorists into Italy, etc, even news from top Libyan officials that the attack will be in weeks...and these are multiple articles almost daily. It is difficult to not be scared.

As far as Parisians, we only ran into one rude person which I think could be said about anywhere. Everyone else was very kind and my husband speaks French so we could converse. I speak German and Polish and my children speak Spanish, so we can get by. There are tons of rude people in NJ...tons and tons of them. I have not had anyone tell me bad things about the Parisians, but very few people here have been to Turkey so they are scared of the unknown. My cousin lives in Istanbul so I have some knowledge. I think it is better to voice the fears and go than to be too scared to go because of the fears.