Is Turkey safe for Tourist?

But to return to the topic of this thread, Turks are not Arabs. And I suspect very few of the vendors at the Grand Bazaar would have any idea where to obtain a real camel. :D

You are correct, Turks are not Arabs, but their culture has similarities, especially with the same religion.

You are correct, Turks are not Arabs, but their culture has similarities, especially with the same religion.

And also has many differences. Our guide on our land tour of Turkey was a cultural Muslim but an atheist, just as probably at least a quarter of Australians are culturally Christian but are not believers.

Our daughter happily backpacked alone through Turkey for a month when she was 23. We were more worried about her when she was in Spain and sure enough that was where she had all her possessions stolen albeit because of her carelessness.

I know the OP asked about safety in Turkey. We were in Ephesus in Turkey last summer. We had a private tour with Ephesus Shuttle. At no time did we feel unsafe (although the pushy merchants were very annoying). However our guide spoke to us quite frankly, asking us to pray for the Turkish people. She said she wished she had gotten out years ago and was concerned that the government was becoming more authoritarian. She said they are discriminating against women who do not wear burkas and she was concerned about terrorism. She was a sweet lady and all the Turks we met were warm and friendly ( although the pushy sales people were too friendly). However pushy sales people, pickpockets and the flirts like the camel guy can be dealt with and are not a threat to your life or security. Terrorists are a different story. Our cousin has lived in Istanbul for the past 11 years. She likes it there and her daughter was born there but they are looking to leave. She stays vigilant and away from public transport and crowded areas. She had to watch what she posts on public media.

Since I have been to Turkey, I am shocked at how much has changed. The relationship between Turkey and Russia has gotten heated although I doubt it would lead to war. I have seen stories as well as heard from Turks themselves that Turkey has bought ISIS oil although I am uncertain how true that is. ISIS has been planning and conducting larger scale attacks in Turkey as well as Europe now targeting tourist groups. I saw these two articles regarding future attacks

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/08/world/intel-warnings-paris-attacks/

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/europe/europe-threat-isis/

I am unsure myself about a future European trip in light of these claims. It is scary that now tourists are the targets.

Papa, we just went to Hawaii and are looking into a future trip to Iceland and possibly Alaska. I think it is a personal comfort level. I can see how much this terror group has morphed. I personally think that instead of saying that I won't let them stop me, we need to say how can we stop them and keep us safe. We do outnumber them.

DW and I have spent our share of time in Turkey (hope to be back in Istanbul in less than 2 months) and have always felt safe and welcomed in the country. Yes, they have had their terrorist problems....as has many other countries including our own. We do not think there is a lot in common between Arab and Turkish culture other then a common religion. In fact, if you tell a Turk they have an Arab culture most would take that as an insult. For starters, women in Turkey have had full suffrage (the right to vote) since 1935! There are no "religious police" in Turkey and women are free to dress as they please (although many do wear pretty conservative dress). And the Turks are not "Arabs" and do not even speak the same language. And many folks do not know (or forget) that Turkey has been an active member of NATO since 1952!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We were in Greece for five weeks last fall. It was wonderful. Fewer tourists/less crowds, lower accommodation prices.

This fall it will may well be Greece and Turkey again for us...both are favourites of ours.

I would not be too concerned. The trick will be to get a map, read some reliable in depth news reports, and understand where you feel comfortable going and where you might not. The only issue we currently see is that some towns on the Med are apparently very crowded with refugees. But this is a minor nit....lots of wonderful places to explore in Turkey.

Just an update on HAL vis a vis Turkey. We are on the next scheduled western ship to dock at Istanbul (April 1 on the Prinsendam) and as of today HAL has not made any itinerary changes. This is actually an overnight at the port. On our CC Roll Call there has only been one couple who posted that they cancelled their cruise because they had personal safety concerns about Turkey. Nobody else has expressed any concerns and some recent posts (from folks that recently booked) indicate most folks are fine with the itinerary. This is a pretty long cruise and the passengers tend to be experienced cruisers/travelers....so the lack of concern is interesting and we think shows that many experienced travelers are fine with returning to Turkey.

Personally we still look forward to returning to both Istanbul and Kusadasi (been to both places many times) and plan to go off on our own and do whatever strikes our fancy at the time. We have always felt very comfortable in both ports and expect to feel the same during our upcoming visit (unless HAL decided to make a last minute itinerary switch).

Hank

Just an update on HAL vis a vis Turkey. We are on the next scheduled western ship to dock at Istanbul (April 1 on the Prinsendam) and as of today HAL has not made any itinerary changes. This is actually an overnight at the port.

Hank

Hi Hank -- if you do go to Istanbul, it would be great to get an update on the work that is supposedly being done at the port -- how it's progressing, whether there will be any changes, etc.

I saw that one of the excursions on HAL for my July cruise was no longer in my itinerary for the Kusadasi day. So I asked my agent to suss out why. I was hugely relieved that it was for operational reasons (the sea park) and not an early indicator that the port may be cancelled. Yay! So far, so good for Turkey!

Hi Hank -- if you do go to Istanbul, it would be great to get an update on the work that is supposedly being done at the port -- how it's progressing, whether there will be any changes, etc.

Will try to remember (hard at my age) to post something :). As of now we have heard that much of the regular docking area is closed for construction and cruise ships are having to dock somewhat further from the bridge (and tram stop).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Very sad times for Turkey which is one of our favorite places. If you can find it on YouTube or elsewhere, watch the Anthony Bourdain episode set in Istanbul. He captured perfectly the mood of the Turkish people and the very sad things that are happening to Istanbul. While we were not afraid to go, we didn't use public transportation, had our own Ekol guide and driver, and felt that things could change at anytime and this COULD be our last time there. They are not Arabs in any way shape or form, so that was a very uninformed comparison IMHO. Istanbul is a vibrant cosmopolitan place with a lot of very bright people who are distraught about what is happening to their country and their beautiful city. Our hearts go out to the Turkish people.

There was an Israeli tour group at the site of yesterday's attack. Three of the members of that group were killed (two of the killed had dual US/Israeli citizenship), and several others were wounded. The group was comprised of a mix of Jewish and Arab Israelis on a culinary tour.

This was reported soon after, before the deaths were announced:

'An official from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party, Irem Aktas, reportedly tweeted shortly after the attack: “I wish that the wounded Israeli tourists were dead,” and her account was subsequently removed from social media.'

That was a government official endorsing and applauding terrorism in her own country.

My husband used to travel to Turkey regularly for business. I was in Euphesus in November. It will be a very, very long time before either of us gives even a small thought to visiting the country again.

Very sad times for Turkey which is one of our favorite places. If you can find it on YouTube or elsewhere, watch the Anthony Bourdain episode set in Istanbul. He captured perfectly the mood of the Turkish people and the very sad things that are happening to Istanbul. While we were not afraid to go, we didn't use public transportation, had our own Ekol guide and driver, and felt that things could change at anytime and this COULD be our last time there. They are not Arabs in any way shape or form, so that was a very uninformed comparison IMHO. Istanbul is a vibrant cosmopolitan place with a lot of very bright people who are distraught about what is happening to their country and their beautiful city. Our hearts go out to the Turkish people.

Well said, lanceholt.

Something to consider if you plan to tour Istanbul, despite the current situation:

Our news is reporting that the bomber did indeed target the Israeli tour group which suffered casualties (3 Israelis - including two who had dual US/Israeli citizenship- were killed in the attack, and several others were wounded). He is said to have followed them from their hotel, to the restaurant they went to for breakfast. When they exited the restaurant, he blew himself up.

With reports of 3 more IS terrorists on the loose and planning to carry out another attack in Istanbul, and London on the alert for multiple attacks as I write this, it appears the best plan if you go might be to avoid traveling with a group, and also avoid major tourist/shopping areas. In other words, it's the time to get the taste of local life, walking residential neighborhoods and eating in small 'off the beaten path' cafes.

I always wonder what exactly posters mean when they say they will be extra vigilant when they tour (Do they know what to look for? What to do?), but at least the above is a strategy which might provide you with some security.

(Needless to say, after Saturday's attack, our government not only told Israelis to stop all travel to Turkey, but also said anyone currently in Turkey should leave immediately.)

My condolences to all the victims in this latest attack. I am supposed to be docked at Kusadasi at the end of May and I'm still hoping that RCI cancels this stop. At worst, I will probably choose to remain on board for the day.

Happy trailer, you're welcome. It is a horrible thing. My heart and sympathies go out to the heartbroken families of those who died on Saturday as well as those who died today in Brussels at the hands of the heartless monsters who did this