American Airlines Aircraft change

rfkeith10

Received notice that AA has changed my roundtrip LAX to MIA flights from a B767 to a B737-800. The first class cabins are totally different from each other.

Does anyone know what version of the 737 is being used on that route. V2 apparently have individual IFE monitors while V1 only have overhead monitors.

I don't know when the change goes into effect but for sure in October. I'm really disappointed...

Ray

Well, Ray, a trend of less pax during a certain time period often dictates a switch to a smaller plane. This can be expected. As to what IFE you will have, no idea. Perhaps check seatguru.com, but I doubt that will help much.:)

I don't think there's anyway to predict which one you'll get. I've flown extensively in both 738 F cabins and the ones with monitors have slightly less legroom than the ones without.

If the timing has changed markedly see if you can request a change to an alternative flight. You may get lucky and be able to switch to the 777s that operate the route.

Received notice that AA has changed my roundtrip LAX to MIA flights from a B767 to a B737-800. The first class cabins are totally different from each other.

Does anyone know what version of the 737 is being used on that route. V2 apparently have individual IFE monitors while V1 only have overhead monitors.

I don't know when the change goes into effect but for sure in October. I'm really disappointed...

Ray

Recently flew first class LAX-SJU so out bound and return I flew on four different types of AA planes and the one that didn't have an individual IFE monitor we were given laptops and Bose headphones. I usually fly DL but I must say I loved the AA product...service and food was top notch.

I knew exactly what I had booked but the carrier on my return flight from MIA-LAX (no idea until we walked through the door and I checked the night before to verify as I'm always concerned about changes that will affect my seats) had changed from the one-two-one staggered to the two-two-two...this worked out great for us but many were trying to shuffle their seats around.

So you can never be sure until you walk through that door...changes happen.

Just a side note I booked in November and traveled in May and I had 6 plane /schedule changes total not including the last minute one. I'm used to this on DL but was surprised at AA. But will certainly fly them again.

Recently flew first class LAX-SJU so out bound and return I flew on four different types of AA planes and the one that didn't have an individual IFE monitor we were given laptops and Bose headphones

Just to note this is not standard for AA F on all routes domestically, just premium transcon routes. I've not received them when flying IAD-LAX, my last non-premium transcon on AA.

Just to note this is not standard for AA F on all routes domestically, just premium transcon routes. I've not received them when flying IAD-LAX, my last non-premium transcon on AA.

"Standard" or not this particular flight and everything about it was top-notch...or maybe because it had a few celebrities onboard ;):D

Ray

Look at the coach seat map, if the first coach row is 7 it is an old one, if the first coach row is 8, it is a new one. I feel your pain. I have had 4 different trips in Sept and October completely changed. One of them went from a 777 with the first class compartments to an A321. I wasn't flying FC, but this plane allowed me to book the BC seats as a coach seat. Now the best I will get is a MCE seat. I swear, contrary to what other people are saying, this never happened to this extent until the USAir management team took over.

Well, Ray, a trend of less pax during a certain time period often dictates a switch to a smaller plane. This can be expected. As to what IFE you will have, no idea. Perhaps check seatguru.com, but I doubt that will help much.:)

Lou, this never happened to this extent until the management teams changed. Before the merger, AA would schedule one type of plane and keep it! BTW, I worked at ZDC for 10 years may have worked you one time! You don't know Stu Morris do you?

Ray

I just went through the exact same scenario. I had booked F class LAX/MIA/Punta Cana for Sept 17th, and AA changed the overnight flight from a 767 w/lay flat seats to a 737 with recliner type seats. Called customer service and was informed that there are no longer any widebody aircraft servicing that route on my departure date from LAX. I was able to cancel my non refundable ticket for a complete refund via submitting a refund claim on AA's website.

Not sure if that's an option you are interested in persuing, but be aware that you are not stuck accepting the downgrade.

Tony

Edited by tgmtgm

AA is integrating two enormous fleets of aircraft, while simultaneously upgrading (and removing) many older, less fuel-efficient planes from the combined fleet. Why would anybody be surprised that there will be equipment swaps, up- and down-gauged planes on key routes, changes to in-flight amenities and services... especially when you're looking months and months out?

I had a look at AA flights from LAX to MIA a few months out, and there are numerous flights per day, with equipment ranging from 777-300s, the current flagship of AA's fleet, with 1-2-1 business class and first class suites, to ex-US Airbuses with zilch for in-seat entertainment, crummy pitch even in first class, you name it.

Your solution is simple - phone AA and say you thought you were paying for a lie-flat seat, and you'd like one please. If they can't accommodate you on a 773, or they reveal that one of the A320s is actually a 32B "winglet" (which has current generation premium seating) then ask them for some miles as compensation, which they will probably give you in a heartbeat.

That AA is getting rid of some of the old USAirline dogs is a good thing long term. Short term it's a pain.

When making bookings for flights out over 6 months, I check the plane types closely. If a flight is showing an older body plane, I take it to reason a change will occur, and therefore look for a flight with a newer plane so to lock in my seating.

That AA is getting rid of some of the old USAirline dogs is a good thing long term. Short term it's a pain.

When making bookings for flights out over 6 months, I check the plane types closely. If a flight is showing an older body plane, I take it to reason a change will occur, and therefore look for a flight with a newer plane so to lock in my seating.

Right now really the only planes being replaced are the MD-80s and some older 757s and 767s. I don't believe old USAir aircraft are being replaced as much as they are newer than the older AA planes.

Thanks to everyone who has shared thoughts and suggestions about my unhappiness. I appreciate all of your efforts.

I understand that AA sometimes need to make unpopular decisions to remain competitive and make a profit. I'm just disappointed that I am most likely going to miss out on the flight experience that I had expected.

The flights are just a part of the entire vacation experience. The main event, the cruise, is still happening and that is the most important thing.

Thanks for your responses....

Ray

Edited by rfkeith10
poor English

Thanks to everyone who has shared thoughts and suggestions about my unhappiness. I appreciate all of your efforts.

I understand that AA sometimes need to make unpopular decisions to remain competitive and make a profit. I'm just disappointed that I am most likely going to miss out on the flight experience that I had expected.

The flights are just a part of the entire vacation experience. The main event, the cruise, is still happening and that is the most important thing.

Thanks for your responses....

Ray

I understand and see your point completely...when I'm able to book first class I look forward to all that it has to offer too.

AA is integrating two enormous fleets of aircraft, while simultaneously upgrading (and removing) many older, less fuel-efficient planes from the combined fleet. Why would anybody be surprised that there will be equipment swaps, up- and down-gauged planes on key routes, changes to in-flight amenities and services... especially when you're looking months and months out?

I had a look at AA flights from LAX to MIA a few months out, and there are numerous flights per day, with equipment ranging from 777-300s, the current flagship of AA's fleet, with 1-2-1 business class and first class suites, to ex-US Airbuses with zilch for in-seat entertainment, crummy pitch even in first class, you name it.

Your solution is simple - phone AA and say you thought you were paying for a lie-flat seat, and you'd like one please. If they can't accommodate you on a 773, or they reveal that one of the A320s is actually a 32B "winglet" (which has current generation premium seating) then ask them for some miles as compensation, which they will probably give you in a heartbeat.

I'm not surprised by the change, but I am disappointed that our October flight out was changed to the 737 (they haven't dropped the other shoe for the return, but I'm sure it's coming). AA flew the 737s on the route for a long time and I was really happy to see that they had replaced them with the 767-300 with lie flat seats (they are angled, but still very comfortable). I was not happy, to say the least, that they have changed back to the 737.

I will take your advice and see about changing to the lone 777 on our departure date. I imagine the conversation won't go very far, since we are booked in first and the 777 only shows business, at double the price we paid. But it never hurts to ask, right?

Cancelling isn't an option for us, since AA is the only nonstop option (other than Virgin to FLL at a considerable premium) and we do have to get there. We just won't be as comfy.

I'm eagerly awaiting the debut of Jet Blue's Mint service between LAX and FLL next spring.

I imagine the conversation won't go very far, since we are booked in first and the 777 only shows business, at double the price we paid. But it never hurts to ask, right?

You might be surprised. I had a transcon itinerary to LAX that connected through ORD both ways a few years ago, a schedule change meant I had way worse flights and connections than I had when I booked. I saw that by connecting at JFK instead of ORD (something I'd ruled out on price alone at the time) I could make an itinerary work much better. Figured I'd call the Executive Platinum line (which I had access to as a BA Emerald member) and there was no problem whatsoever, even though the price was about 600% more than my original ticket.

• 4 weeks later...

And color me astonished. Today AA changed our return flight (I'm still waiting for notification from them and/or EF) to the A321 and put us in Row 4 of. FC, which has limited recline. So I called about changing both legs. The Aagent put me on the 777 outbound IN FIRST CLASS because they are now flying the 777-300 on that route.:D We didn't want to stick around until 5:00pm for the return, so we changed to a 737-800, which will be marginally less uncomfortable than the A321. But it will be a trip from the sublime to the ridiculous, I think.