Can I get cash over credit in NZ and Aus ?

The Other Tom

In the US, if I make a credit card purchase at some stores, I can get cash back without having to pay a cash advance fee. For example, at Walmart, if I but something for $10, and pay by credit card, I can get $50 cash back (which, or course, goes on my credit card bill but without a cash advance fee)

Can I do the same in NZ or Aus ?

Thanks for the replies. My bank charges a fee for using an ATM (3% of withdrawal +$5). My credit card does not change a fee for purchases, so I was trying to use the credit card to get cash over the purchase. Of course I can also use my credit card at an ATM but then they will charge me a cash advance fee. Looks like I am stuck either way.

Thanks for the replies. My bank charges a fee for using an ATM (3% of withdrawal +$5). My credit card does not change a fee for purchases, so I was trying to use the credit card to get cash over the purchase. Of course I can also use my credit card at an ATM but then they will charge me a cash advance fee. Looks like I am stuck either way.

WOW, I would look for a ATM card from a credit union as mine does not charge any ATM fees or foreign transaction fees. Of course you would need an account at a credit union.

Of course you can draw cash out of a credit card in Australia - it's just that most people don't because our banks charge interest from the day that you withdraw it. Oh, and note, it is called "cash out" in Australia not "cash back". If your bank doesn't charge you for drawing cash out of your credit card (make sure that applies overseas too) then you should be able to do it in Australia. I would assume the same applies in New Zealand.

Of course you can draw cash out of a credit card in Australia - it's just that most people don't because our banks charge interest from the day that you withdraw it. Oh, and note, it is called "cash out" in Australia not "cash back". If your bank doesn't charge you for drawing cash out of your credit card (make sure that applies overseas too) then you should be able to do it in Australia. I would assume the same applies in New Zealand.

Thank you for the information, especially the syntax (cash out, not cash back...got to learn the lingo:)). Unfortunately, my bank does charge interest from the day you "cash out" so that's an even worse option than the 3% fee.

You can't do it when making a lurches though, which wha the question, only at an ATM or in branch.

Thank you for the information, especially the syntax (cash out, not cash back...got to learn the lingo:)). Unfortunately, my bank does charge interest from the day you "cash out" so that's an even worse option than the 3% fee.

But you can't ge it out at a grocery store etc when making. Purchase, only at an ATM or in a branch.

Check with your bank if they have an arrangement ith any of our banks that may save you a buck or two.

Wowser....what bank???

You can get it from credit cards in e.g. supermarkets, but only if you have a debit account i.e. credit balance only card.

Not from other sorts of stores e.g. department stores, souvenir stores and so on.

Yes, my ATM card is really a Visa debit card. So maybe this will work. Thanks!!

Yes, my ATM card is really a Visa debit card. So maybe this will work. Thanks!!

Yep Visa DEBIT card will let you get cash with purchases many places, Visa Credit won't. I have one card that's both, then it comes down to pressing sav or chq not cr on the EFTPOS termnal if you want cash out