Best of HAL

lottorus

The CREW is the VERY best! You will be "making friends!" Most are from Indonesia and many from Phillippines. DELIGHTFUL young people! The Officers are very professional but are KINDLY/friendly too! MAKES cruising with them all a lovely experience.

If I had to describe the best of HAL in one word, it would be the crew. Right now, I work in a stressful job, live in a stressful city, and have a stressful commute twice a day. From the moment my feet touch a HAL ship, I feel the stress and tension leaving my body. Since Princess no longer employs a lot of Europeans and is hiring more Indonesian and Filipinos, their service has improved slightly, but still not up to par with HAL. This spring, I did a btb cruise on RCI from Venice. I found the service to be subpar, especially in the dining room, and even though I spent a lot of time off the ship exploring the amazing ports, the service did affect my enjoyment of the cruise.

If I had to describe the best of HAL in one word, it would be the crew. Right now, I work in a stressful job, live in a stressful city, and have a stressful commute twice a day. From the moment my feet touch a HAL ship, I feel the stress and tension leaving my body. Since Princess no longer employs a lot of Europeans and is hiring more Indonesian and Filipinos, their service has improved slightly, but still not up to par with HAL. This spring, I did a btb cruise on RCI from Venice. I found the service to be subpar, especially in the dining room, and even though I spent a lot of time off the ship exploring the amazing ports, the service did affect my enjoyment of the cruise.

I think you have identified one of HAL's key elements: the service crew. The Filipino and Indonesian staff have regularly seemed much warmer, and happier, than the Eastern European staff experienced on NCL and Princess - not to say that the service was not good, it simply seemed somewhat stiff and aloof.

I hear you on the stressful city, job and commute. With the exception on my last cruise on Princess my room stewards have been great. The MDR service has been much better than Hal. I'm sorry to hear you haven't experienced the same on Princess.