New St. George's Area Shuttle Bus for St. David's Attractions

njhorseman

It sounds like the final stop is Clearwater Beach but I wonder if it goes all the way down to the beach or just to the top of the road that goes down there. It's about 1/2 mile from the drop point the regular buses use. It's a lovely calm beach that would be great for children. When we were there in 2011 it was on a Monday and the restaurant there is closed for food on Monday. The bar was open and you could rent chairs there.

How far is the walk to Turtle beach from there? Also can you climb St David's lighthouse?

So is this in addition to the other St George bus they have going? Will you now have to pay $6 for each bus? Or is it just $6 and you can ride either? I'm confused. :confused:

It's got to be a different bus totally different area out by the end of the airport .

It's got to be a different bus totally different area out by the end of the airport .

But it does say that you purchase it at the Visitor Center in St George (I assume there's only 1 right?) and takes them there, so I assume that you still get on at the same place and it just goes in the other direction maybe?

That's why I was wondering if the $6 would pay for either? Either get on 1 bus or the other...or if you could take the HOHO bus, return, then take this bus for the same price? That would be pretty cool if so. :p It looks like a beautiful beach and I would love to visit the lighthouse there next time.

But it does say that you purchase it at the Visitor Center in St George (I assume there's only 1 right?) and takes them there, so I assume that you still get on at the same place and it just goes in the other direction maybe?

That's why I was wondering if the $6 would pay for either? Either get on 1 bus or the other...or if you could take the HOHO bus, return, then take this bus for the same price? That would be pretty cool if so. :p It looks like a beautiful beach and I would love to visit the lighthouse there next time.

The pink Bermuda bus goes there too but kinda far apart in time .

I think ya can walk from the light house to the beach . :confused:

The Bermuda Gombeys were practicing at Clearwater when we were there .

I think they may have a club house there too .

The pink Bermuda bus goes there too but kinda far apart in time .

I think ya can walk from the light house to the beach . :confused:

The Bermuda Gombeys were practicing at Clearwater when we were there .

I think they may have a club house there too .

Oh well that was neat. I like seeing things like that. Man the engery...I need some of that. :p

I just thought I would follow up with this post and the other new HOHO bus.

I contacted Bermuda Tourism asking to clarify about the statement in the Royal Gazette "The service, which starts up in July and will run in tandem with the ferry schedule until October" which brought questions up with me since we will be there in October and the Breakaway doesn't pull out of Bermuda until toward the end of October.

The reply I received was: "Yes! We’ve been told the St. David’s Island Beach Bus will begin running tomorrow July 8 and provide service until November 1. Like you, we’re excited to see this new service take shape and the Tourism Authority has financially backed the effort to get it off the ground this summer. Enjoy the ride and your visit to Bermuda. I’ve included a flyer from the Beach Bus proprietors."

So this should answer any questions that we might have about the schedule of this new HOHO bus.

I also received a copy of their brochure I wanted to share to show the route.

St%20david%20HOHO%20bus-L.jpg

st%20david%20hoho%20bus%202-L.jpg

Looking at this map, it appears that this bus is going to run in conjunction with the other bus...meaning that you pay the $6 and can use either bus and go to either location or both according to the statement on the fly that says "Hop on the St George route & explore more great attractions for free with your ride pass".

I have emailed them again just to clarify so that we'll all know for sure. :p

Happy HOHO busing...bermp bermp! :D

They emailed me back to let me know it's just the $6 to use both buses either way. WOO HOO. :)

Thanks...it's good to know that. I may actually use it when we're there in October. Just have to be careful with time as the St. David's shuttle runs only once an hour.

Thanks...it's good to know that. I may actually use it when we're there in October. Just have to be careful with time as the St. David's shuttle runs only once an hour.

I'm thinking I will use it as well while we are there. I would like to go to the Lighthouse and also Clearwater Beach. Do you have any idea if there's a long walk involved from possibly where they would drop you off at the street to the lighthouse?

Refresh my memory...did we conclude that these HOHO buses stop running at 6pm? I can't remember.

I'm thinking I will use it as well while we are there. I would like to go to the Lighthouse and also Clearwater Beach. Do you have any idea if there's a long walk involved from possibly where they would drop you off at the street to the lighthouse?

Refresh my memory...did we conclude that these HOHO buses stop running at 6pm? I can't remember.

I've never been anywhere near the St. David's lighthouse, so I have no idea how much of a walk it may be from where they might drop you off.

You just took the HOHO...if you don't know how late it runs, who would? Not me...:D

I've never been anywhere near the St. David's lighthouse, so I have no idea how much of a walk it may be from where they might drop you off.

You just took the HOHO...if you don't know how late it runs, who would? Not me...:D

But I got my HOHO on before it stopped running, so I don't know either. LOL :D

I thought when we were talking about it before it came up in conversation. :confused: I'll have to go back and read the thread again. Hopefully it was on the HOHO thread from before. :p

Their Facebook page says 10:00-6:00.

I did not go to the light house , But as I recall :confused:The light house was not to far from the left side of Clearwater beach with turtle bay to the right .

I would say you can walk it.

From what I understand, the bus won't be running when we're there the first week of May next year. We have difficulty walking. Is there another way to get around St. George?

Thank you very much.

Curious where you saw that this service wouldn't be running in the first week of May next year. I doubt that decision has been made one way or the other at this point. The service is new this year and didn't start until May 10, but that doesn't automatically mean it would start that late next year. I would imagine at the end of the season they'll evaluate it and determine whether the shuttles will be offered next year. If they are offered in 2016 I suspect they would run through the cruise season during the time the Orange Route ferry serving St. George's runs, which would include the first week of May.

Otherwise if you have difficulty walking you would have to take taxis to get from one place to another.

Edited by njhorseman

I did not go to the light house , But as I recall :confused:The light house was not to far from the left side of Clearwater beach with turtle bay to the right .

I would say you can walk it.

That is not correct. Clearwater and Turtle Bay is on one side of the airport strip in that little peninsula by Coopers Island Reserve. The light house is all the way over on the other side of the airport strip past Annies Bay and Ruths Bay. You can also see this on the map I posted above the different areas.

I just can't tell by the "map" they provide (that I posted) what actual street they are on compared to the location of the lighthouse and how far of a walk it would be. :(

Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's even going to be open when we are there.

"That Bermuda site ran by someone not in Bermuda" (ahem horse) says the following:

Admission & Open Hours

Admission is free. Open daily from 7:30am to 4pm between May and September.

I can't seem to actually find a website on this place to confirm if this is true or not. :confused:

Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's even going to be open when we are there.

"That Bermuda site ran by someone not in Bermuda" (ahem horse) says the following:

Admission & Open Hours

Admission is free. Open daily from 7:30am to 4pm between May and September.

I can't seem to actually find a website on this place to confirm if this is true or not. :confused:

Finding no evidence to the contrary, I'll assume that website is correct.

I've been on many cruises that docked in St. George's, and did not go to St. David's Lighthouse, Clearwater Beach or Carter House Museum even once. The reason is simple...and it's the same reason they started the St. David's shuttle this year...it's next to impossible to get to these places unless you have a motor scooter. The #6 bus just doesn't run very often so it really isn't very practical to depend on it for transportation.