Ship photos

robthens

Over the years we have bought our share of ship pictures BUT I think the ships picture taking has gone "overboard".

Formal pictures venues (love them). They are available & you can opt to pose or keep walking.

Every time you turn around, getting on & off the ship, at dinner & with crew in costumes.

Ok, now I've gotten that of my chest. :confused:

Just another revenue opportunity.

It's a revenue op but not necessarily for the ship. The photos are run by a concessionaire who contracts with the cruise line to provide that service and if I understand things correctly they pay a flat fee to the cruise line for the privilege.

We visited the photo shop on an Ultimate Ship Tour. It amazed us that the space was so small. I asked what they do with the photos that don't sell. I'm sure someone on every tour asks that question. He said "we sell them on the next cruise at a discount". Lol lol :p

We've been doing a "Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise" for a number of years now. We usually have 25-35 people. A couple of years ago we were on RCI and I tried to arrange for a photo of the group (just somewhere on a stairway or other public area) I was told there was a $75 "sitting fee" in addition to the cost of any photo(s) purchased. We declined, posed ourselves and asked a passer by to take a photo with someone's digital camera. They did, we e-mailed amongst our selves and I went to Walgreens had had a 5X7 printed for 99 cents. They really lost out as most of the folks would have purchased a photo, and with the profit margin on the photos, they would have made out pretty well. Now, we don't even ask to have the ship's photographer take our photo. And by the way....so far there are 28 booked on the 2018 winter cruise.

We've been doing a "Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise" for a number of years now. We usually have 25-35 people. A couple of years ago we were on RCI and I tried to arrange for a photo of the group (just somewhere on a stairway or other public area) I was told there was a $75 "sitting fee" in addition to the cost of any photo(s) purchased. We declined, posed ourselves and asked a passer by to take a photo with someone's digital camera. They did, we e-mailed amongst our selves and I went to Walgreens had had a 5X7 printed for 99 cents. They really lost out as most of the folks would have purchased a photo, and with the profit margin on the photos, they would have made out pretty well. Now, we don't even ask to have the ship's photographer take our photo. And by the way....so far there are 28 booked on the 2018 winter cruise.

We would love to be on a cruise with your group. I woul be happy to take your picture.

It's nice that they offer the opportunity to have your photos taken.

Yes they are doing it to make money. They do many things to make money.

We have many photos of our family and ourselves from all of our cruises.

It helps us relive some wonderful memories.

Keith

We've done group cruises like yours. Princess charged us nothing to take the pictures. We had a private party. The photographer showed up, posed us and took a few pictures and left. Fun for us and revenue for them. Since it was a private party there was no one walking by to take the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pleasantly surprised that the photographers left me alone when I said no to having my picture taken. Loved it!

On previous cruises, photographers were pretty pushy, and even touched me to come and get my picture taken with a costumed crew member.

We've done group cruises like yours. Princess charged us nothing to take the pictures. We had a private party. The photographer showed up, posed us and took a few pictures and left. Fun for us and revenue for them. Since it was a private party there was no one walking by to take the picture.

Yep.last year we were on Princess, the year prior HAL and no "sitting fee". RCI is the only line we've been on that they charged it.