Key West to Port in FLL - Drive Time?

ronandannette

a few points to ponder

4:30 sailing means boarding will close at 3 ... 90 minutes b4 sailing is typical closing time dictated by ICE

distance is 190 miles in round numbers

over 100 of those miles is on US1 in the Keys below Key Largo and this means stop lights - not 55 mph plus limited access highways.

an accident on US1 in the Keys can shut down the road for hours ... with no alternate routes

******************* OPINIONS

f you do it give yourself PLENTY of time ... map programs will tell you 3.5 hours ... IMO this is VERY optimistic. On the way north DO get on the turnpike as soon as you hit the main land. Do NOT continue on US1 to I-95. The stretch of US1 from Homestead to the south end of I95 is to be avoided!

if it were me, I might consider splitting the difference and only going as far as say Islamorada in the Keys ... shortens the distance on the slower parts of US-1

Greetings

What time do you arrive into FLL? Overnighting in KW is easily doable, but how much time will you really have there? If you drive down only to go to bed at in a KW hotel room then leave early the next AM to make the cruise what's the point?

Good Sailing

Tom

If you miss the turn off for the Turnpike either going to or from Key West, allow another 90 minutes! IMO 3.5 hours is the minimum time it takes. And don't speede on US1...those tickets are very expensive and the cops are just waiting for you.:)

Greetings

What time do you arrive into FLL? Overnighting in KW is easily doable, but how much time will you really have there? If you drive down only to go to bed at in a KW hotel room then leave early the next AM to make the cruise what's the point?

Good Sailing

Tom

This is great advice - you'll have an easier drive and more time to enjoy the "Keys" if you only go to Key Largo, or maybe Plantation or Marathon instead of all the way to Key West.

Are you landing in Miami the day you want to make the drive?

To me it would be too much to go all the way to Key West on the day of arrival after a long flight and probably getting up early that day.

But if you will be in FL for a day or so then driving, you can do the trip back. DH wouldn't do it since he is always the the voice of reason and prepares for anything that can go wrong. Car trouble and traffic etc would be his warning.

I would certainly leave by 8, giving you double the time normally needed if you do leave from Key West.

Greetings

Good Sailing

Tom

Are you landing in Miami the day you want to make the drive?

To me it would be too much to go all the way to Key West on the day of arrival after a long flight and probably getting up early that day.

But if you will be in FL for a day or so then driving, you can do the trip back. DH wouldn't do it since he is always the the voice of reason and prepares for anything that can go wrong. Car trouble and traffic etc would be his warning.

I would certainly leave by 8, giving you double the time normally needed if you do leave from Key West.

We'll arrive in Miami very late on Thursday, pick up a rental car at the airport and do an overnight in a hotel near there. The plan would be to leave early Friday morning for our drive down the Keys and stay Friday night, departing early Saturday morning for the cruise terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. While I see the wisdom in only going part way (I'm researching Key Largo and Marathon), it wouldn't really "do it" for DH's goal of getting all the way down to Key West and this is likely a "one and done" kind of opportunity. What do you think about going all the way down, having a look around and a late lunch/early dinner in Key West and then driving back to overnight in Marathon on Friday? Would getting from there back to the ship on Saturday be a better plan?

Edited by ronandannette

We'll arrive in Miami very late on Thursday, pick up a rental car at the airport and do an overnight in a hotel near there. The plan would be to leave early Friday morning for our drive down the Keys and stay Friday night, departing early Saturday morning for the cruise terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. While I see the wisdom in only going part way (I'm researching Key Largo and Marathon), it wouldn't really "do it" for DH's goal of getting all the way down to Key West and this is likely a "one and done" kind of opportunity. What do you think about going all the way down, having a look around and a late lunch/early dinner in Key West and then driving back to overnight in Marathon on Friday? Would getting from there back to the ship on Saturday be a better plan?

Greetings

Your Thursday arrival makes this a much easier trip. You can easily be in Key West for lunch on Friday. Traveling back out of the Keys on Saturday is pretty easy, most the day trippers and weekenders are coming into the Keys so traffic is usually good leaving. Staying overnight in Marathon is cheaper and will give you a little shorter trip back out, but if you leave Key West by 9 AM or so you should have no trouble making your cruise in plenty of time.

Good Sailing

Tom

PS

On your return trip to Port Everglades take the turnpike when you reach Florida City to I-75 then I-595 into the port. You have to be a bit careful on the turnpike where it meets the Palmetto Expressway. Just make sure you stay on the turnpike until I-75. Do not take US 1 up to I-95.

Hi,

Personally, I don't think the trip is worth it, but that is not my call. I'm only here to help you make it possible so here is my idea:

Getting in late on Thursday at MIA and getting a rental, I wouldn't settle for a hotel close to the airport. That is a straight traffic zone in the mornings. Drive down to the Homestead/Florida City area that night, which will probably be around 45 minutes (take the Turnpike). There are some very reasonably priced hotels in this area with free breakfast/parking/internet for the night.

Next morning I'd plan to leave the hotel by 7 a.m. and give yourself 3 hours to get down to Key West. You can really make a day of it between seeing the sights and food/drink.

I think the major question is are you into nightlife? If you are, I'd stay in Key West for Friday night. You could drive down, check in, park and have the complete day without the worry of "what time to leave". I must remind you, you are probably looking at a hotel that is going to be 5 times as expensive as the hotel you stay at in Homestead and 2 to 3 times more expensive than hotels in Marathon/Islamorada/Key Largo . . . but Key West is definitely party town on a Friday night and for making such a short trip I'd figure you'd want the most "Key West experience" you can have in that time.

From Key West, ideally you want to give yourself 4 hours to get to the Port Everglades area. It's a Saturday morning and you are "leaving" the Keys, so it shouldn't be as bad as say a Sunday . . . but it is absolutely true that the highway is a 1 lane highway and if there is any type of accident or bad weather . . . the delays could be hours. It's not like that happens every day but it does happen and with you having a cruise that waits for nobody it's definitely something you should understand.

For me, I'd suggest leaving by 7 a.m. from Key West (earlier the better). . . that would give you an 8 hour window (3 p.m. to check in) and the trip should take less than 4.

If you aren't really into nightlife, then certainly consider cutting some of that drive by getting started on Friday night and finding a hotel in the mid/upper keys . . . or even back at the hotel in Homestead (which would allow you to leave luggage in the room as you'd book for 2 nights and just take a small bag for the day). You could sleep in and be fully refreshed for your cruise the next day with only about an hour or so drive to the Port/Car Rental place in Fort Lauderdale.

Hopefully it all works out for you, I think it will.

I would choose to spend the entire evening in Key West. Stay there, have a nice breakfst and then drive to the port in the morning. Just as stated earlier, give yourself extra time for any delays.

Quite honestly, the only time you want to see I-95 is when you are approaching the airport/port in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday morning. You should never have to get on I-95 on this trip.

I would avoid I-75, only because it takes you all the way west and you have to come back east when you hit I-595. The Turnpike can get confusing in certain spots, but it's the most efficient route to Port Everglades for this trip. Definitely keep your eyes alert when approaching "interchanges" with multiple highway exits. Turnpike will take you all the way to I-595 and from there the airport/port is 5 minutes away.

Thank you very much...this is all really valuable input. A couple more questions if you all don't mind...

1. I'm having trouble finding hotel availability in Key West for Friday, November 7. Is there some big local thing that's happening there during this time period?

2. Given all the route advice you've given, does anybody have a guess as to what route a GPS system would try to take us?

Thanks again.

Thank you very much...this is all really valuable input. A couple more questions if you all don't mind...

1. I'm having trouble finding hotel availability in Key West for Friday, November 7. Is there some big local thing that's happening there during this time period?

2. Given all the route advice you've given, does anybody have a guess as to what route a GPS system would try to take us?

Thanks again.

That weekend is the annual super boat offshore racing series. Friday is the 2nd day of the race. Busy time in Key West!

Thanks again.

1. Weekend stays at Key West hotels in many situations require a 2 night minimum stay. So when you only put one day it probably doesn't reveal all of the hotel options. I would try Expedia as I put the dates in and there were some reasonable options on there. Make sure you hurry up though, because prices change quick as well as the availability.

2. A GPS with the option "fastest time" and toll roads enabled, SHOULD give the route that features the Turnpike when traveling from MIA and when going to Port Everglades. If you use Google Maps on your phone, I believe that is the route that it will give you.

You don't need to stay downtown, you just want to be in Key West and utilize a taxi to get to/from downtown. Check Expedia, I've seen a few hotels in the $200 price range that should do the trick. I'd guarantee those prices are going up . . . probably before the end of the month.

Off the top of my head, no nothing special but check Key West web sites to verify. You are talking just after Fantasy Fest, Key West' BIGGEST "do" of the year

http://www.fantasyfest.com/events/

AND just about every weekend in Key West in the winter months is gonna be busy . . . if you are search for discounted rooms ... don't hold your breath. (have you tried looking for a nice B&B? there are several and if it is gonna cost you, why not go whole hog?)

ah .. someone said this is boat race weekend .... that will impact things (but when the races are up here in Canaveral the crowd isn't that big ... BUT we're talking KW weekend PLUS boat races)

MANY MANY variables in this - I ran two mapping programs on my computer and got two different routes . . . {from FLL to Florida City} Most map programs have a place to set 'preferences' for their routing and often the default is to avoid toll roads. As you've seen most recommendations are saying stick to the toll road (which is ALL ELECTRONIC TOLL in this particular case btw {well except Card Sound Road but I digress}) SOOOO a GPS being told to avoid toll roads might recommend 95 and US-1 which is a BAD idea IMO.

The recommended route is easy

going south

from Ft L airport take 595 WEST to the turnpike

take the turnpike SOUTH .... ALL THE WAY SOUTH. A little south of Ft L you will see signs saying turnpike south and the Keys .... this is what you want .... locals call this road the 'turnpike extension' and it will take you west of Miami and as far south as you can go on the mainland, dumping you on US1 south of Homestead Florida

Then you take US1 south to Key West ... from the end of the turnpike you are looking at something like 120 miles . . .

and just to confuse the issue .... if you do this drive ... wanna stop at a famous 'dive' ... just south of Florida City, heading south on US-1 watch for a big sign for a left turn to CARD SOUND ROAD

This is sort of a by-pass, or alternate route from Florida City to Key Largo. MUCH less traveled and home of two 'famous sites'

There is a toll bridge on Card Sound Road, last time I was there it was a $1 toll - cash only.

At the Miami side of this bridge is 'Alabama Jacks' .... which has been there FOREVER. I personally think the hype is better than the food but if you have a little time stop for some conch fritters and conch chowder. This is OLD Florida Keys.

The Card Sound alternate will add a few miles but almost no time to your trip as there is little traffic IME. Heading south you'll rejoin US1 at the top of Key Largo ... around mile marker 110 or so (every address in the Keys is relative to the mile marker on US1. End of US1 in KW is MM 0 .... Pennekamp Park in Key Largo is MM 102.5 )

Edited by Capt_BJ

Hi,

Personally, I don't think the trip is worth it, but that is not my call. I'm only here to help you make it possible so here is my idea:

Getting in late on Thursday at MIA and getting a rental, I wouldn't settle for a hotel close to the airport. That is a straight traffic zone in the mornings. Drive down to the Homestead/Florida City area that night, which will probably be around 45 minutes (take the Turnpike). There are some very reasonably priced hotels in this area with free breakfast/parking/internet for the night.

Next morning I'd plan to leave the hotel by 7 a.m. and give yourself 3 hours to get down to Key West. You can really make a day of it between seeing the sights and food/drink.

I think the major question is are you into nightlife? If you are, I'd stay in Key West for Friday night. You could drive down, check in, park and have the complete day without the worry of "what time to leave". I must remind you, you are probably looking at a hotel that is going to be 5 times as expensive as the hotel you stay at in Homestead and 2 to 3 times more expensive than hotels in Marathon/Islamorada/Key Largo . . . but Key West is definitely party town on a Friday night and for making such a short trip I'd figure you'd want the most "Key West experience" you can have in that time.

From Key West, ideally you want to give yourself 4 hours to get to the Port Everglades area. It's a Saturday morning and you are "leaving" the Keys, so it shouldn't be as bad as say a Sunday . . . but it is absolutely true that the highway is a 1 lane highway and if there is any type of accident or bad weather . . . the delays could be hours. It's not like that happens every day but it does happen and with you having a cruise that waits for nobody it's definitely something you should understand.

For me, I'd suggest leaving by 7 a.m. from Key West (earlier the better). . . that would give you an 8 hour window (3 p.m. to check in) and the trip should take less than 4.

If you aren't really into nightlife, then certainly consider cutting some of that drive by getting started on Friday night and finding a hotel in the mid/upper keys . . . or even back at the hotel in Homestead (which would allow you to leave luggage in the room as you'd book for 2 nights and just take a small bag for the day). You could sleep in and be fully refreshed for your cruise the next day with only about an hour or so drive to the Port/Car Rental place in Fort Lauderdale.

Hopefully it all works out for you, I think it will.

I'm chuckling to myself over your first line. Given your location I TOTALLY understand what you're saying. I feel the same way and give an (inward) :rolleyes: whenever people get excited about Alaska!

But alas, the world is a big place and some of us don't get out of our own little corner of it very often. DH is fascinated by the concept of driving over the ocean, so I guess it's a go. I've managed to reserve a hotel for Friday night in Marathon (Banana Bay Resort - sounds kind of divey, but we'll live) as night life for us is a priority, but only if it takes place before 8:00 p.m. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for their help...I'm going to print the posts with detailed driving advice and take them with us so we can piece it together once we're seeing it all in context.

Edited by ronandannette

I'm chuckling to myself over your first line. Given your location I TOTALLY understand what you're saying. I feel the same way and give an (inward) :rolleyes: whenever people get excited about Alaska!

But alas, the world is a big place and some of us don't get out of our own little corner of it very often. DH is fascinated by the concept of driving over the ocean, so I guess it's a go. I've managed to reserve a hotel for Friday night in Marathon (Banana Bay Resort - sounds kind of divey, but we'll live) as night life for us is a priority, but only if it takes place before 8:00 p.m. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for their help...I'm going to print the posts with detailed driving advice and take them with us so we can piece it together once we're seeing it all in context.

Ha, yea I can imagine you get that a lot with Alaska, hell I plan on doing an Alaskan cruise within the next few years and I know the build up will be unlike anything I've ever anticipated. Good Times ahead for sure.

Key West is a lot of fun . . . including the drive there. I guess what I'm saying is I wish you guys could have more than half a day to spend down there because it really is a lot of driving for such a short period of time and from that aspect I would say save it for another trip or visit it as a port location on a future cruise. But I totally get what you are saying and it certainly is possible so why not take advantage of it. I haven't been down there in several years (because the cost of a room down there for 2 nights can literally pay for a cruise for me and the wife when I catch those last minute specials) . . . but I have a trip around Florida trip planned next summer and Key West is on the agenda so that will be a lot of fun for us.

FYI I helped booked my uncle and aunt a weekend getaway at the Kingsail resort in Marathon a few months ago and they said it was perfect for what they paid and what they received. I saw it for $69 that Friday if its something that interests you. It's actually rated pretty decently. The Keys have a lot of these "divey" hotels but they tend to do the job. I have also stayed in Marathon, but it's been a while . . . definitely a great location to find a good value while still being close to Key West.

My two cents. I would pick up your rental from the airport and head to Homestead to spend your first night. No reason at all to stay at the airport.

The next day I would drive to Key West, spend the day and have lunch, then head out and back up to Key Largo to spend the night. Take your time coming back and stop at the attractions through the keys.

Thanks again.

Key West is always busy but once the weather starts to chill in the north, the keys stay packed.

No way would I stay in Key West the night before a cruise. I've had it take me 8-12 hours before to get out of the keys from Key West due to traffic, weather, and accidents.

The normal commute is 4 hours. I've never made it to Fort Lauderdale in under 4 hours and that was the middle of the night in July one time.