Gibbs Lighthouse

BLAMBKY

I believe it is bus #7 and the stop for the lighthouse is right before the Horseshoe Beach stop. Just say "Good Morning" to your driver and let him know you want to get off for Gibb's Lighthouse. It is about a half mile walk up the hill from the drop off point. There are 185 steps up the inside of the Lighthouse but it gives you a breathtaking view of Bermuda, well worth the steps.

I believe it is bus #7 and the stop for the lighthouse is right before the Horseshoe Beach stop. Just say "Good Morning" to your driver and let him know you want to get off for Gibb's Lighthouse. It is about a half mile walk up the hill from the drop off point. There are 185 steps up the inside of the Lighthouse but it gives you a breathtaking view of Bermuda, well worth the steps.

Thank you for the quick response!

As others have said, its definitely worth the climb. My husband and I did this back in 2012 when we were in Bermuda.

That being said, unless things have changed since we were there, climbers should be aware that it is not a simple easy 'step out' from the inside of the lighthouse to the outside at the top. As I recall, its a smaller narrow opening that required us to duck down and step up and over a rise. The area near the opening is tight in head room due to the actual light structure at the top.

Edited by msmayor

As others have said, its definitely worth the climb. My husband and I did this back in 2012 when we were in Bermuda.

That being said, unless things have changed since we were there, climbers should be aware that it is not a simple easy 'step out' from the inside of the lighthouse to the outside at the top. As I recall, its a smaller narrow opening that required us to duck down and step up and over a rise. The area near the opening is tight in head room due to the actual light structure at the top.

Would someone 5'8 or under have any issues? Or is it narrow too? Are you able to still see from the inside, if you make the climb and then decide against going out? (DH had hip operation, due to car wreck)

There are a few windows on the way up that you can look out but at the top, you have to get out on the observation plateform. It is a bit of a trick and the plateform is quite narrow but the view is worth it. If your husband can climb the 185 steps to get to the top, I would think he would be able to get out onto the plateform.

Would someone 5'8 or under have any issues? Or is it narrow too? Are you able to still see from the inside, if you make the climb and then decide against going out? (DH had hip operation, due to car wreck)

I am 6' and I was able to climb and get out on the platform. I qualify for senior discounts but I am lucky for my age, I have no hip, knee, issues and I am thin and fairly limber still. The person who posted with knee problems made the right decision not climbing. Hip problems might be problematic too as far as climbing. If he can get up there he can likely get on the platform.

Edited by Charles4515

Anyone who has made the climb knows that it is well worth it. The Views are spectacular.

The climb to the top of the big church tower at the top of Hamilton for a stunning view . Is worth it Too.

Donation welcomed .

Edited by biker@sea

The climb to the top of the big church tower at the top of Hamilton for a stunning view . Is worth it Too.

Donation welcomed .

Donation: Thanks

I will put that on my list.

Another place for great views is Fort Hamilton. The fort itself is somewhat interesting. And if they have reopened the moat that is worth doing at the fort.

3b048a517c021741ab050b24c9c49e37.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few windows on the way up that you can look out but at the top, you have to get out on the observation plateform. It is a bit of a trick and the plateform is quite narrow but the view is worth it. If your husband can climb the 185 steps to get to the top, I would think he would be able to get out onto the plateform.

Thanks for the additional information. I think I will present the info & let him decide if he wants to try it. I do not think the stairs will be a problem but some angles are tricky.

Shouldn't be a problem. I am 5'10" and my husband is about 6' and we both made it through the opening without a problem. I don't think we could get 'straight' through the opening; if I remember correctly we turned our shoulders a bit but we were able to get out fine.

Some people just don't like to go through a confined space and it is tight up toward the top.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going, when the guys went fishing, no problems for me! And I would like to note that each flight has a rest stop for information reading & to rest. Even though it was low 80s the humidity was brutal. Make sure you take a water bottle and/or buy one ($2) when you get there.

Having issues with trying to post a photo. It is open on the back but handrails on both sides. The stairs curve, so this adds an extra element. I think you may focus more on the curve then the stair back being open. It is not like you see all the steps at once. There is a landing into a "room" that breaks up the stairs. Plenty of places to stop.

Edited by BLAMBKY

Thank you for answering my question. I'm not afraid of heights, but there's just something about being able to see through the stairs. I'm sure I will be fine if I can make it to the top.

I just noticed you live in Pigeon Forge. We live just a short ways up the road near Jonesborough. Planning going to Bermuda for the first time in October with our family. Really looking forward to this.

We collect lighthouses and enjoy visiting them whenever we can.

Practically neighbors! [emoji5]️ This was my FIRST lighthouse! :) I am glad that I went the views were so amazing! Side note- they accepted US dollars & I am kicking myself for not having bought some of my souvenirs there! Their prices were very reasonable. Also I took the number 7 bus & it was an uphill trek to get there. I think there is another bus (maybe the 8) that brings you closer to the top.