Alaska for beginners!

AprilJ

Where do I start to plan for a 2017 Alaska cruise for DH, DS who will be 6 and myself. We live in Alabama. Cost is probably the greatest consideration then activites for our son. What lines are recommended to be most little kid friendly? What sort of itinerary offers the most wildlife and sightseeing? Where do you embark from? Do any of the lines include airfare? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thoughts....

• Disney is the preferred line for young cruisers. But they are NOT cheap.
  • Glacier Bay itineries are preferred over Tracy Arm for glacier seekers.
  • savings can be found by looking at Inside/Oceanview cabins
  • cruising out of Vancouver? Hotels near cruise terminal will offer convenience, but there are significant savings by walking a few blocks away.
  • August will offer more wildlife opportunities, but prices will be higher than other months.
  • May/September will offer savings, but there are weather challenges.

[YOUTUBE]B0dplvMRQHQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

The first thing you need to do is get two guidebooks for Alaska. One about Alaska in general, and another about cruising in Alaska. There are lots on Amazon. Also go to http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/ and read about the ports on an Alaska cruise. Most cruises will visit Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway, and have a day or two of glacier cruising. This site will give you an idea of what type excursions are offered by the cruise lines.

Alaska cruises sail round trip from Seattle or Vancouver, or one way from Seattle/Vancouver to Seward/Whittier, or reverse.

All of the mainstream cruise lines will have kids programs. HAL and Princess have been doing Alaska the longest and have most of the permits for Glacier Bay. NCL has some, and Carnival visits a couple of times at the very beginning and end of the season. You also have to pay attention to the amount of time the ship is in port. Some stay longer than others.

In addition, visit the Ports of Call board here for Alaska. there is lots of good information there. EM

In addition, visit the Ports of Call board here for Alaska. there is lots of good information there. EM

In addition, there is Alaska-specific information on the Family Cruises board.

Where we live in PA it is very expensive to fly into Vancouver.
Some other thoughts...

• there's a $50 shuttle that takes passengers from Seattle's Seatac into Vancouver. It's very popular. Once in Vancouver, you'll find savings as the Canadian currency recently collapsed. Some like to use the train, but there's additional airport/cruise transfer cost (w/ a limited schedule).
  • I found some Disney cruise dates can be triple the cost compared to cruising with Holland, Princess or another cruise line. They will lack the DCL kid's amenities (clubs, movies, free sodas, great high speed internet), but you get savings! Do some comparison shopping.

LyOFAKRjcpo NHqJf6Un5-U

Where do I start to plan for a 2017 Alaska cruise for DH, DS who will be 6 and myself. We live in Alabama. Cost is probably the greatest consideration then activites for our son. What lines are recommended to be most little kid friendly? What sort of itinerary offers the most wildlife and sightseeing? Where do you embark from? Do any of the lines include airfare? Thanks in advance for your help.

Oceania includes airfare or $ credit if you prefer to buy your own. No kid program but there will be other kids (usually well traveled and well behaved) on summer Alaska trips. Under 700 passengers on Regatta, great food and service. Almost reach out and touch the Hubbard Glacier. With new "O Life" perks (free specialty restaurants, beverages, tips, internet, several included excursions) and the right preferred partner TA's OBC, you'll find the bottom line daily cost of your overall trip to be comparable to HAL and Celebrity but with a far better product.

If you want to make the most out of the trip, leave from San Francisco and spend some time there beforehand.

Don't be fooled by advertised low cabin costs on other lines. It's the airfare and nickel/diming onboard mass market lines that drives the true daily costs up.

Find a TA who is an O "connoisseur's club" member as a first step. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Nothing against Oceania. It's a great line, which I am sailing on for the first time next month. However, since the OP asked what lines would be more kid friendly, I do not believe Oceania is the answer, especially for a 6 year old. No kids programs at all. Also, a more "mature" and well-traveled clientele. I would suggest NCL, Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Disney too if you want to spend a little more.

Nothing against Oceania. It's a great line, which I am sailing on for the first time next month. However, since the OP asked what lines would be more kid friendly, I do not believe Oceania is the answer, especially for a 6 year old. No kids programs at all. Also, a more "mature" and well-traveled clientele. I would suggest NCL, Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Disney too if you want to spend a little more.

Even without a kid program, you would be surprised at how many kids are on some O summer itineraries (e.g., Alaska, the Med). Likewise, a lot of younger professionals have discovered Oceania ("mature?" Yes. "aged?" Not necessarily). An Alaska itinerary can be quite port intensive and with all the shore excursion options (many of which would be very appealing to a 6 year old), it's not as though the kid will be bored to death with head buried in "keep 'em busy" video games.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Dinsey would be our ideal choice, but at roughly $9k, it's gonna be out of reach.

Disney offers a unique experience but IMHO Princess offers a better value. IN the summer many kids and a good enough kids clubs. They have many sailings to choice from.

You should pick a sailing that does Glacier Bay, without that for a first or only Alaska you are missing the main attraction!

Ok, thanks Chip, we've semi decided to push Alaska back a few years til our DS is a bit older and more appreciative of an Alaskan trip....the good news is we are going to do a 7 night Disney out of Port Canaveral, which is in driving distance for us and 1/2 the price and allow us a balcony. Thanks for all the wonderful feedback from everyone as Alaska is not forgotten just delayed.

Ok, thanks Chip, we've semi decided to push Alaska back a few years til our DS is a bit older and more appreciative of an Alaskan trip....the good news is we are going to do a 7 night Disney out of Port Canaveral, which is in driving distance for us and 1/2 the price and allow us a balcony. Thanks for all the wonderful feedback from everyone as Alaska is not forgotten just delayed.

I think you have made a very smart decision. The most important thing is that your 6 year old DS will enjoy and remember that Disney cruise so much more. Just a little advice, when your DS is over 10 years, you should consider taking him on a Western Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona. We did that cruise twice -- first time when our DD and DS were 13 and 11 and then again 2 years later. They are 24 and 21 now. It was the most wonderful thing we did for our kids -- starting their journey of exploring the world. They loved it. Since then, DD has been to Germany, traveled again to Italy and spent a year studying abroad in China. DS has been to China twice.

Anyway, have a wonderful time enjoying your cruise and your DS. They grow up so fast.

Really Don, that reply was necessary WHY? 😕

Because there are a lot of very good books on AK cruise lines, cruise ports and things to see in AK in the library. Libraries may not be the only or maybe even the best source of information but they are very useful sources. Many people go to internet WEB sites and boards such as CC but totally ignore the library.

DON