Which Cave would you do?

iluvcruises

Fantasy!

We were in St. George when we went to the caves...

Our first order of business was to catch a bus to the Crystal Cave and Fantasy Cave. Bus 1 and 3 will stop directly at Crystal Cave. Bus 10 or 11 will stop at Swizzle Inn which is within 2 blocks of the caves. It’s about a 20-minute ride. Get there early. They open at 9:30 am. We strongly suggest catching the first available bus as the caves are very popular and will get very crowded before noon. You can catch the bus on Water Street, one long block from the pier. As of March 2014, admission to the caves was $22 for one cave or $30 for the pair. (Children 5 to 12 are $10/$12 and children under 5 are free). Fantasy Cave, which reopened just 4 years ago after a 70-year closure, is BY FAR the better cave. Unfortunately most folks will never learn this fact since the ship excursions only take you to the better known Crystal Cave. Explore both caves if you have the time. If you have a choice, see Crystal Cave first (because Fantasy Cave is better). Do Fantasy Cave if you only have time for one. The best group size is under 20. It got so busy that our group had 40 people. The group behind us had at least 60! They really need to do a better job of controlling group sizes. Your best defense is to go early. The caves are full of stalagmites, stalactites, columns, soda straws, bacon, shield formations and other interesting forms. Both caves are well lit and are full of water (but you won’t get wet). The water is very clear, and believe it or not, it’s all sea water. Fantasy Cave, in addition to being better preserved, also has an interesting spooky side which I will not ruin for you here. Very worthwhile. After exploring the caves, we caught the first 1, 3, 10, or 11 bus back to the ship for lunch.

Very Detailed Bermuda cruise review: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Chrystal Cave is easier to go down. The amount of stairs is about the same. 83 for Chrystal and I think 88 for Fantasy. The stairs are steep so I advise against it for anyone with mobility issues, really out of shape or the like. Don't take toddlers or very small children.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
If we are coming from the Dockyard, would we also take one of these four buses?

You have to go to Hamilton first to get those buses. Fastest way is to take the Blue Route ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton (20 minutes), walk up the hill to the bus terminal (10 minutes) and then board one the bus lines that stop at or near the caves. Alternatively you could take a one hour ride on a #7 or 8 bus from Dockyard to the Hamilton bus terminal and then board one of the buses that go to the caves.

Regarding the stairs: I think we did Fantasy Cave. The steps are a bit slippery so be sure to wear flat shoes. I didn't have too much of a problem going down (although the initial descent is a steep slope) but I had to pause a few times going back up.

Transportation: I think we went to Hamilton by ferry, then stopped for lunch (via bus) at the original Swizzle, then stopped at the caves. We were one of the last tours of the day and it wasn't very crowded. Check the hours.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00002d.htm

Hold onto your phones. They will not retrieve them as it will stir up the mud on the bottom. We saw several iPhones laying on the bottom..

Edited by marci22

• 3 weeks later...