Time to allow at LHR

jvalentine

I'm researching flights to Copenhagen from Nashville, TN. One idea I had was to fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and then get on a connecting flight to Copenhagen. It would mean a change of airlines...not anything I'm super excited about. However, the premium economy seats on Virgin Atlantic are a bit wider and at a good price. For the connecting flight to Copenhagen I could book a business class seat.

So...how much time should I allow to get off the Virgin flight, go through security, recheck bags/check in and get on the other flight to Copenhagen at LHR? I know it will be a lot of time standing in line...but I've not flown there before so wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance!

I know the really air wise posters will be with you shortly but you are facing some hefty LHR fees for your booking plan. Flying in business class only increases those fees.

You can fly via ATL on ONE ticket with Delta, KLM, or AF would save $$$.

Actually any ticket counting LHR as a CONNECTION would be better priced. Airline doesn't matter as much as your plan of booking 2 separate tickets which would also entail at the very least 4+ hours to change airlines and possibly terminals.

Look instead at BNA to a US airport like JFK or BOS and changing flights directly to CPH. Delta used to have a direct ATL - CPH flight and it was great. Wish it were still on the schedule.

We were concerned about this for next summer as we booked a connection using miles at LHR from Virgin Atlantic (from Atlanta) to Aeroflot (to Moscow). The airlines are in different terminals (going from T3 to T4). As we are also in business class, we will be first off the plane and quickly on the connections bus. We have about 3.5 hours so we are hoping to have sufficient time to check out the Skyteam lounge in T4 before we board our flight to Moscow. Check the LHR website for minimum connection times. But as alcpa1 says, be careful of those fees and taxes for originating in LHR (and not connecting). You should look at a Skyteam ticket combining DL, AF or KL through Paris or Amsterdam OR a BA/AA ticket through London.

I'm researching flights to Copenhagen from Nashville, TN. One idea I had was to fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and then get on a connecting flight to Copenhagen. It would mean a change of airlines ...
Which airline would you be planning to fly from London to Copenhagen? That has a major bearing on the amount of time that you need.

Also, don't forget that British Airways also has premium economy, as do a number of other airlines. The main thing to remember is that no US airlines have premium economy, so if that's what you'd like then you can discount all of them immediately for the long-haul flight.

Personally, I wouldn't get hung up about a business class seat on LHR-CPH. You are unlikely to get a wider seat; it'll more likely be that a row of three has the middle seat kept empty for you, together with a little bit of extra catering. On a flight as short as LHR-CPH, you may find that this really is not worth it. For some, the real value in a business class seat on the short-haul on an itinerary like this is the use of a lounge at the airport while you're waiting for the onward flight. But you do need to take an objective look at how much that is really worth.

I know the really air wise posters will be with you shortly but you are facing some hefty LHR fees for your booking plan. Flying in business class only increases those fees.

Actually any ticket counting LHR as a CONNECTION would be better priced.

How "hefty" can it be in this direction? Even if the OP buys two separate tickets, the increase in Air Passenger Duty is from £13 to £26.

The real saving in APD comes from buying one ticket CPH-LHR-ATL (for example) as opposed to two separate tickets.

There are good reasons (and probably good financial savings) to be had by buying a through ticket rather than separate tickets, and forgoing the business class seats on the short-haul flight. But this isn't because of LHR fees.

Thank you for the replies. I think I might scrap the idea...I did find an Air Canada flight from Nashville-Toronto-Copenhagen. It would be economy, but that's not terrible. It would save the LHR debacle of checking in again with bags and doubling back on security and customs...and it's fewer connections. SAS does have cheaper flights, but I'd probably go Air Canada because it has a better safety rating.

I was really wanting to try out Virgin's prem economy if I could, but it might just be too much of a hassle since they don't have a connecting flight within their group.

Thank you for the replies. I think I might scrap the idea...I did find an Air Canada flight from Nashville-Toronto-Copenhagen. It would be economy, but that's not terrible. It would save the LHR debacle of checking in again with bags and doubling back on security and customs...and it's fewer connections. SAS does have cheaper flights, but I'd probably go Air Canada because it has a better safety rating.

I was really wanting to try out Virgin's prem economy if I could, but it might just be too much of a hassle since they don't have a connecting flight within their group.

I appreciate that Air Canada has statistically a better safety record than SAS, but you know what they say about lies, damned lies and statistics. I would rather fly in SAS Premium Economy, than in Air Canada economy, and I would be confident that both airlines would get me to my destination safely, albeit one more comfortably than the other.

Edited by wowzz

It would save the LHR debacle of checking in again with bags and doubling back on security and customs ...

I don't see why you'd have to deal with your bags at LHR, so long as you buy a through ticket (which would probably only involve you giving up business class on the LHR-CPH sector). If you have a through ticket, the bags will get automatically transferred to the onward flight to CPH.

... but I'd probably go Air Canada because it has a better safety rating.
I appreciate that Air Canada has statistically a better safety record than SAS, but you know what they say about lies, damned lies and statistics.
Indeed: if this was some safety "rating" found on the Internet, it's almost certainly not worth the paper/electrons it's written on/with. I'd simply ignore it.

I'm researching flights to Copenhagen from Nashville, TN. One idea I had was to fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and then get on a connecting flight to Copenhagen. It would mean a change of airlines...not anything I'm super excited about. However, the premium economy seats on Virgin Atlantic are a bit wider and at a good price. For the connecting flight to Copenhagen I could book a business class seat.

So...how much time should I allow to get off the Virgin flight, go through security, recheck bags/check in and get on the other flight to Copenhagen at LHR? I know it will be a lot of time standing in line...but I've not flown there before so wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance!

You should allow 3 hours to be safe. I'm flying on British Airways from San Francisco to Barcelona via London and am allowing 5 hours going and from Dubai to San Francisco 9 hours on the return and hope to see London depending on weather etc.

Just be aware the time it can take to switch terminals. See if you can check your bags all the way through via an interline agreement. Call up Virgin to see if it can be done and if boarding passes can be issued to your final destination.

Good Luck

You should allow 3 hours to be safe. ...

Just be aware the time it can take to switch terminals.

All of this depends on which airline would be used on the LHR-CPH sector. There may not be a terminal change involved.

There's no need to worry about not having a boarding pass for the final destination, if VS can't do it. This can easily be done at LHR.