Galveston fog??

Mango Mike

I'm certain this has been discussed quite often and if you can lead me to the appropriate thread, please do (i can't seem to find it via search option), so my question is:

"In the course of say 1 year, approximately how many times is a cruise delayed due to fog (both leaving and returning)"?

Many thanks

I have sailed out of Galveston 6 cruises in late Jan early February and have run into fog delays 3 of those cruises. I always book a return flight for after 4PM out of Hobby. I always fly in the day before. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Edited by sugcarol

I have sailed out of Galveston 6 cruises in late Jan early February and have run into fog delays 3 of those cruises. I always book a return flight for after 4PM out of Hobby. I always fly in the day before. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Your location is listed as Sugarland, Tx. That's just a little over an hour from the Galveston port on Hwy. 6. What's this about flights??

I used to live in Sugarland but moved to Dallas, I never paid attention to change my profile info. It was so good of you to point that out.

Pretty snarky comments, I must say.

My apologies meant mine tongue in cheek. With all the stuff that you have to do for flying is it faster from DFW? Or is it just you prefer it to having to drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually I live almost to Oklahoma separated by Lake Texoma. That is about 2 hours north of DFW, driving would be 7 hours so flight works better in my case. Before my husband became disabled we always drove to port. I am watching the weather and hope that fog will not be an issue for my upcoming cruise on Liberty of the seas 1/22. Crossing my fingers

Actually I live almost to Oklahoma separated by Lake Texoma. That is about 2 hours north of DFW, driving would be 7 hours so flight works better in my case. Before my husband became disabled we always drove to port. I am watching the weather and hope that fog will not be an issue for my upcoming cruise on Liberty of the seas 1/22. Crossing my fingers

I get that, I'm sailing six days after you. I'd be ok with getting fogged in at the end! Just not the start!

I see the fog rolled in today and Disney ship was delayed getting into the port. Apparently DCL has notified passengers of delayed boarding until 5PM. Can hardly see anything at all on Galveston Webcam. I hope the delay is not too bad. DCL is giving all passengers 25.00 OBC, for inconvenience.

On the breeze the same day, crossing my fingers with you!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The higher the humidity level, the greater the chance of fog because the air is saturated. The best protection against fog is patience. Expect delays and long lines. Expect some people will have short tempers. Wear a smile. Be nice to workers trying the impossible task of making people who are delayed happy. You are going on cruise! It will get better once on board!

We are on Liberty right now and Capt James has the pedal to the metal. We are presently doing a little over 22 knots and supposed to be at the pilot boat around 2:15am instead of the normal 5:15am. He is trying to beat the fog into Galveston and according to all weather reports for Sunday morning the fog is not supposed to be bad until around 5. So I think we might just beat it.

I just know that when we left Cozumel we were passing ships left and right.

Here is hoping his decision pays off, which I think it will.

Four ships

Been following this on the webcam but missed the four ship action, how did this work?

Galveston doing its best to look like Port Everglades during Caribbean season (as many as 7 to 8 ships at a time, with similar departure times, its a sight to behold).

Edited by longhorn2004

Just passed the terminal, two carnival ships at dock; assume they will sail tonight - no fog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Freedom might go out tonight but Breeze reportedly has not disembarked their passengers from the last cruise due to customs agent availability...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Freedom might go out tonight but Breeze reportedly has not disembarked their passengers from the last cruise due to customs agent availability...

Sent from my iPad using Forumes

Federal Immigration can be major problem at all times for all cruise ports in US!

The industry has to lobby ..... for Changes in all aspects are needed.

Edited by ssb