Cheaper cabins not available for single occupancy

Mcscotty

Searching for cruises tonight and, as not sure if my mother will be coming with me or not, I've been looking at both double and single occupancy prices.

I've found some great prices, Celebrity and Azamara for double occupancy but when I've changed the same cabins to single occupancy the price increases by far more than just 100% of the fare. E.g.

£290pp for an inside (OV, Balcony also available) but then when I change to 1 guest suddenly the cheapest cabin available is Aqua class at £1480!

This seems incredibly unfair :mad: I can understand up to 100% occupancy but why more than this, and why are not all cabins available to singles?

What would happen if I booked for the 2 of us then my mother is too unwell to take the trip?

Thanks in advance

She would lose her money. In other words you'd pay 580 for the room.

But I would talk to a human representative to see if you can do solo for less than 580.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Edited by tiger-91

Unfortunately not all fares can translate into single occupancy fares and it all depends upon the popularity of the cruise. On some popular sailings they don't need singles to fill cabins so that penalized/discourage them by charges more than 100%. The other reason is cruise lines lose on board revenues since only one personal is occupying the cabin so they charge more to make up for the lost revenues. I know it seams unfair; but that's how the systems works for better or worst.

• 2 weeks later...

To be more specific, I deal with a local guy who belongs to the same consortium as many of the big guys, his wholesale price is the same. He also looks at his other suppliers and at any groups he can find. He's never failed to come within $20 of any legitimate quote (before he knows what the other guy quoted) and he buys me lunch regularly.

I know more about cruising than most of the agents I meet. The telephone sales clerks at the guys with the big advertising budgets- I'll just say Buyer Beware.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Searching for cruises tonight and, as not sure if my mother will be coming with me or not, I've been looking at both double and single occupancy prices.

I've found some great prices, Celebrity and Azamara for double occupancy but when I've changed the same cabins to single occupancy the price increases by far more than just 100% of the fare. E.g.

£290pp for an inside (OV, Balcony also available) but then when I change to 1 guest suddenly the cheapest cabin available is Aqua class at £1480!

This seems incredibly unfair :mad: I can understand up to 100% occupancy but why more than this, and why are not all cabins available to singles?

What would happen if I booked for the 2 of us then my mother is too unwell to take the trip?

Thanks in advance

You should NEVER pay more than 100% for single occupancy. If they ask for more then book with your mother regardless of whether she comes with you or not and if she "no-shows" you still don't pay anything more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Both the Celebrity and RCI websites are notorious for their accuracy. As others have advised, speak to a TA that accesses the booking system via a different portal to us guests.

For example, on the public website a Balcony Guarantee on RCI was available to me if there were two of us but not available for me alone. However this 'problem' did not present itself to my TA.

Regards,

Cublet

Hello,

Both the Celebrity and RCI websites are notorious for their accuracy. As others have advised, speak to a TA that accesses the booking system via a different portal to us guests.

For example, on the public website a Balcony Guarantee on RCI was available to me if there were two of us but not available for me alone. However this 'problem' did not present itself to my TA.

Regards,

Cublet

Unfortunately this problem still persisted for my TA. Kind of ticked at Royal for not letting a solo traveller take advantage of guarantee rate.

If I could get a decent price on a solo cruise I would go twice a year. It kills me to pay double and most of the time I won't pay it.

For the last several months not much has been available unless you go very last minute.

Carnival used to have solo deals on a regular basis. Now nothing. I prefer NCL but I seen nothing. I'd like an early March cruise but it don't look like it will happen.

I'm so discouraged as many other solo cruisers are. :(

If I could get a decent price on a solo cruise I would go twice a year. It kills me to pay double and most of the time I won't pay it.

For the last several months not much has been available unless you go very last minute.

Carnival used to have solo deals on a regular basis. Now nothing. I prefer NCL but I seen nothing. I'd like an early March cruise but it don't look like it will happen.

I'm so discouraged as many other solo cruisers are. :(

Check out all these cruises with 25% or less supplement. There are lots of choices out there that aren't last minute and not double price. (I however look at total price per day rather than worry about or consider supplement.)

The thing that I find difficult is having to look for good deals, and not always going where I want to.

It seems like hard work, but I keep on looking because I don't want to miss that good price.

I follow this thread, although most cruises aren't suitable for me as they are late bookings out of the US. A late flight from the UK would more than negate any saving!

I have found that booking ahead can be useful. This week I saw an acceptable solo price on Queen Victoria from Rome to Southampton which included flights and transfer. The trouble is that it is in October 2018!

• 2 weeks later...