Atlantic Ocean in November

skoeper

We have a cruise picked out for November of this year (it's a group cruise). Someone mentioned last weekend that November on the Atlantic Ocean is rough seas. Does anyone else agree with that?

Where on the Atlantic? Sailing from NYC or Bayonne to Caribbean? From FLL to Europe? I see you are sailing Constellation I didn't research to see where it is sailing.

There is no way to say what conditions you will encounter. We once sailed from NYC to the Caribbean and back (12 days) and going down was incredibly smooth. Coming north, we ran into a little weather but nothing really extreme.

If not the NE Atlantic, where?

Edited by sail7seas

Where on the Atlantic? Sailing from NYC or Bayonne to Caribbean? From FLL to Europe? I see you are sailing Constellation I didn't research to see where it is sailing.

There is no way to say what conditions you will encounter. We once sailed from NYC to the Caribbean and back (12 days) and going down was incredibly smooth. Coming north, we ran into a little weather but nothing really extreme.

If not the NE Atlantic, where?

This particular cruise leaves Ft. Lauderdale and goes to Key West and Nassau. We have so many newbies on this trip that we thought we'd do a "practice cruise", lol. So, it's the SE Atlantic....right?

No reason to expect any kind of severe seas but certainly that can always happen. I've sailed out of FLL dozens of times and never had a 'truly rough ride' and hope you have smooth sailing.

Enjoy. :)

No reason to expect any kind of severe seas but certainly that can always happen. I've sailed out of FLL dozens of times and never had a 'truly rough ride' and hope you have smooth sailing.

Enjoy. :)

Thank you! We've sailed out of FLL many times too, but never in November. Our friend got me thinking after his remark though and with all the newbies this time, I thought if it was notoriously rough in November, we'd maybe change when we went :)

We sailed for Thanksgiving many times and only once had an end of season tropical storm force a change of itinerary. We missed one port. I wouldn't think of changing the date. No way to know if the week after could be the 'rough' week. :)

No...there is no "rough" season. It's all about the prevailing weather systems! It can be rough today, and calm tomorrow...there's no way to predict it. Past performances do NOT indicate future likelihood of rough or calm seas.

Edited by cb at sea

We sailed for Thanksgiving many times and only once had an end of season tropical storm force a change of itinerary. We missed one port. I wouldn't think of changing the date. No way to know if the week after could be the 'rough' week. :)

No...there is no "rough" season. It's all about the prevailing weather systems! It can be rough today, and calm tomorrow...there's no way to predict it. Past performances do NOT indicate future likelihood of rough or calm seas.

Thank you! That answers my question, because the person who told me how rough it was on his cruise made it sound like almost all cruises during November are like that in the Atlantic. I've been on many cruises in many places, but never in November. You've made me feel better about our choice :)

This particular cruise leaves Ft. Lauderdale and goes to Key West and Nassau. We have so many newbies on this trip that we thought we'd do a "practice cruise", lol. So, it's the SE Atlantic....right?

Actually is is NEXT TO the SW Atlantic - not in the SE Atlantic. Your itinerary is in the partially sheltered waters of the Bahamas on the Nassau part, and then through the Florida Strait to get to Key West - which is more Gulf of Mexico than anything else. One: the waters you will be sailing are not really Atlantic; Two: the hurricane season will be essentially over and you are more likely to be sailing on close to flat calm rather than any significant waves. Sure, there might be some heavy weather -- but you are not picking a season or area of particular concern.

Actually is is NEXT TO the SW Atlantic - not in the SE Atlantic. Your itinerary is in the partially sheltered waters of the Bahamas on the Nassau part, and then through the Florida Strait to get to Key West - which is more Gulf of Mexico than anything else. One: the waters you will be sailing are not really Atlantic; Two: the hurricane season will be essentially over and you are more likely to be sailing on close to flat calm rather than any significant waves. Sure, there might be some heavy weather -- but you are not picking a season or area of particular concern.

Thank you! I'm so happy to know that November isn't a cursed month, lol. It's a mini cruise, and on a route my husband and I have been on many times. Just never in November! <Breathing easier now>

Not really the Atlantic cruise that I first read .

Yes it is the Atlantic but more known as a Bahamas cruise .

Unpredictable but few sea days to even worry about.

Not really the Atlantic cruise that I first read .

Yes it is the Atlantic but more known as a Bahamas cruise .

Unpredictable but few sea days to even worry about.

Well, it's the Atlantic Ocean, lol. I didn't know how else to describe it. And yes, only one sea day. I really, really want the newbies to love cruising so that we do it again and again. For longer too!