Silly Question

Siobhanl

Thank you to everyone who answered my query re bathrobes and the dining question. It was very helpful especially allaying our concerns regarding the poor reviews.

As I said, this will be our first cruise and usually on holidays our accommodation is right on the beach so swimwear is all that's required all day apart from lunch.

Wearing a bathrobe over your swimwear while going to/from your room to the spa or pool is very much the norm here in the UK and indeed in any hotel I've been to in Europe.

No I wouldn't wear a bathrobe to the supermarket nor would I wear a swimsuit there but since cruise ships have been called "floating resorts" it is rather different.

To the people who saw fit to comment on the title being vague may I point out that you both "clicked" on it so not too vague to elicit a view. The fact that you took the time to criticise while not actually bothering to answer I find frankly bizarre.

I post quite a lot on another forum where I answer queries about a holiday destination I'm very familiar with and I always manage to do so without being rude or unhelpful.

We actually had a wonderful conversation with an older lady at a hotel pool...in robe, big hat and glasses. She was a riot...and if that's all it takes to make a person happy, they have a pretty blessed life, eh? Hope your first cruise is awesome!

Well I guess if I can't wear my robe, perhaps to the buffet for breakfast, I'd probably get flamed about wearing my bunny slippers in addition to my robe. Better that instead of just my speedos.:eek: That's enough to blind someone!:D

Well I guess if I can't wear my robe, perhaps to the buffet for breakfast, I'd probably get flamed about wearing my bunny slippers in addition to my robe. Better that instead of just my speedos.:eek: That's enough to blind someone!:D

Funny, we were on a Celebrity Ship last year and a passenger, every day was wearing huge plastic costume glasses every day! He changed the pair daily and had many different colors. Clearly he enjoyed everyone looking at him and smiling. Perhaps the bunny slippers would get similar attention and smiles!

Edited by Cruise a holic

What is wrong with wearing a bathrobe as a cover when going from cabin to pool?

Well.....you can do whatever you want. But, it's sort of like wearing curlers to the dining room, jammies in a bar, boxer shorts in the pool.....

Dorky

Nothing.

If you want to wear pajamas to the formal dinner night, go for it.

Why do you always have to give bad advice? Here is a new cruiser and you give them advice than any decent person would never consider giving. Your mean streak must take joy in confusing people by giving them the worst advice possible.

For the OP: ignore this poster's comments. Bathrobes worn in public areas are tacky and are not appropriate. They should be confined to your stateroom and balcony. As someone else has said - would your wear a bathrobe in public at home?

As for that wearing pajamas to formal dinner comment, this is just another attempt by this poster to create confusion in the guise of humor. Appropriate clothing is what the majority will wear on formal nights. Only a few "all about me" types will push the limit on how dumbed down they can get away with.

Feel free to wear your robe to and from the pool

As a previous poster said, it is commonly done in Europe. Also, it is done at Canyon Ranch, a rather high-end spa in the USA. Folks there spent most of the day in robes and no one looked twice.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sure, feel free to wear anything you like anywhere on the ship. But don't be annoyed if people stare at you as if you have two heads. If you like attention, then by all means go against the flow. But, if you are like me and prefer not to be the center of attention, it is much more prudent to blend in rather that look out of place.

Bookish Angel:

Do you also recommend wearing T-shirts and worn jeans to dinner? That is commonly done in many seaside towns.

Do you also recommend not washing or combing their hair for the entire cruise? That is commonly done on camping trips.

Do you also recommend wearing the tiniest thongs and going topless around the ship's pool? That is commonly done around private pools at home.

If not, then why do you recommend they be equally out of place on a cruise ship by wearing robes to the pool?

Edited by sloopsailor

Also, it is done at Canyon Ranch, a rather high-end spa in the USA. Folks there spent most of the day in robes and no one looked twice.

Enjoy your cruise!

Of course they do, that's the accepted attire at most spas and, even at ones that are not high end, but a cruise ship is not a spa.

Of course they do, that's the accepted attire at most spas and, even at ones that are not high end, but a cruise ship is not a spa.

Correct! And at many spas, people wear robes because they are moving to and from private areas such as a shower room, a steam room or a massage room and often don't have anything on underneath that robe, so it is an absolute necessity to be wearing it! I would certainly hope that isn't the situation when people wear robes to the ship's public pools! :eek:

Edited by sloopsailor

Thank you to everyone who answered my query re bathrobes and the dining question. It was very helpful especially allaying our concerns regarding the poor reviews.

As I said, this will be our first cruise and usually on holidays our accommodation is right on the beach so swimwear is all that's required all day apart from lunch.

Wearing a bathrobe over your swimwear while going to/from your room to the spa or pool is very much the norm here in the UK and indeed in any hotel I've been to in Europe.

No I wouldn't wear a bathrobe to the supermarket nor would I wear a swimsuit there but since cruise ships have been called "floating resorts" it is rather different.

To the people who saw fit to comment on the title being vague may I point out that you both "clicked" on it so not too vague to elicit a view. The fact that you took the time to criticise while not actually bothering to answer I find frankly bizarre.

I post quite a lot on another forum where I answer queries about a holiday destination I'm very familiar with and I always manage to do so without being rude or unhelpful.

Well, I clicked on it because I click on all the vague questions because I do try to help. I saw your question had already been answered and didn't think it was necessary to pile on, but did want to make a point that might help you get better and faster answers in the future. Sorry if you think that's unhelpful, but it is kind of a rule of the internet that the more specific you are with a question the better an answer you'll get.

In a number of respects a cruise ship is similar to a spa. Of course a bathrobe is not appropriate for a restaurant, theatre, lobby, bar or shop - in a spa or on a ship. But for going directly from one's room to a pool or therapy area a robe is a perfectly adequate cover. In any event, it is hardly worth commenting upon on a ship where so many people wear all sorts of things which are clearly "unacceptable" to many of their shipmates.

In a number of respects a cruise ship is similar to a spa. Of course a bathrobe is not appropriate for a restaurant, theatre, lobby, bar or shop - in a spa or on a ship. But for going directly from one's room to a pool or therapy area a robe is a perfectly adequate cover. In any event, it is hardly worth commenting upon on a ship where so many people wear all sorts of things which are clearly "unacceptable" to many of their shipmates.

I disagree (as do the vast majority of respondents). As a frequent visitor of spas, I can say that the only aspect of a cruise ship that is "similar to a spa" are the spa facilities themselves. The rest are more like a high end hotel and entertainment district. Robes are not the best form of coverups for anything other then inside staterooms and within the confines of the spa itself.

As to the suggestion that since others wear "unacceptable" things it should be OK to also wear robes around the ship, I can only say that I have never used the worst behavior of others as justification for behaving equally bad. My personal standards are too high to allow myself to use the lowest level of anything as my guide.

We received robes in our cabin based on our Platinum C&A status.

We put them on to take some cute photos, but I found them too warm to wear for very long!!

The robes are great in the cabin after a shower or bath- not walking around the ship! We are also Elite plus members on Celebrity, but all guests get robes to use . Sometimes you have to request them. They are always in suites.

For the OP: ignore this poster's comments. Bathrobes worn in public areas are tacky and are not appropriate. They should be confined to your stateroom and balcony. As someone else has said - would your wear a bathrobe in public at home?

As for that wearing pajamas to formal dinner comment, this is just another attempt by this poster to create confusion in the guise of humor. Appropriate clothing is what the majority will wear on formal nights. Only a few "all about me" types will push the limit on how dumbed down they can get away with.

Sure, feel free to wear anything you like anywhere on the ship. But don't be annoyed if people stare at you as if you have two heads. If you like attention, then by all means go against the flow. But, if you are like me and prefer not to be the center of attention, it is much more prudent to blend in rather that look out of place.

Bookish Angel:

Do you also recommend wearing T-shirts and worn jeans to dinner? That is commonly done in many seaside towns.

Do you also recommend not washing or combing their hair for the entire cruise? That is commonly done on camping trips.

Do you also recommend wearing the tiniest thongs and going topless around the ship's pool? That is commonly done around private pools at home.

If not, then why do you recommend they be equally out of place on a cruise ship by wearing robes to the pool?

And no baseball caps either, with or without a robe.

Edited by Treven

For the record, I really don't care what someone else wears, if they want to look silly, that's their choice.:D However, I beg to differ that a "in a number of aspects a cruise ship is similar to a spa". Maybe I've been on the wrong ships or at the wrong spas but the only similarity is in the spa itself.

To the OP...yes, I've seen quite a lot of people wearing the provided dressing gowns to the pool...I always thought of them as spa gowns. This has been on UK cruises. :rolleyes: Often it's quite chilly on deck, at least for a couple of days until you're past the BOB- and the same returning, so a towelling dressing gown can be sensible. Probably not for the indoor pool.

Members of my family with active teenagers have been on Anthem from Southampton, and I haven't heard a bad word about it....all was wonderful.

There will always be food on offer round the clock- you don't have to stick to the same time nor restaurant each night. We're not ones for dining rooms, so often graze around, with just soup and a roll, then perhaps a pudding later on in the buffet. Feel free to wander! ;)

Edited by jocap
added words

Definitely don't let negative reviews throw you. It's usually more people who are unhappy will bother to post a review than happy people, even if there's more of the latter. Just human nature for some to complain. And sometimes some of the complaints are baseless or an one-off while there may be legitimate complaints. No way to know.

One thing I would recommend is for you to go to the cruise line's website and read up on the ship and the policies. There may be a FAQ section that will answer many of the questions you'll have before you board. I always do this even if repeating a ship.

I haven't been on a RC ship, but Princess will give any passenger a robe,no matter the status or the cabin category. Once we did use the robes to go to the pool, but it didn't feel like a good idea, after all.

As someone mentioned, if your suit is still wait, it's not a good idea to go to any of the sit down eateries, including the buffet. But if there's a good place by the pool, that's a good place to get food without having to go change out of wet bathing suits.

See if you can check out the different menus before a meal. Again, on Princess, the main dining rooms (which serve the same menu among them) will post that day's lunch and dinner menus outside the doors. So if you don't see something you like, you can go to the buffet, pizzeria, poolside grill, etc. I think the specialty restaurants will have the same menu each night so if you see the menu once, you'll know what to expect on any night. Might be different on RC.

I do know that some people will have their dinner, then leave to catch a show and then go home dessert. Not a problem. And usually (not an expert on specialty restaurants), in the main dining rooms, things are very flexible when it comes to ordering. You can order more than one entree, order a big size order of an appetitzer instead of an entree, have only an entree and not soup/salad or an appetizer -- whatever you want.