Lucca or Orviato?

denims

When in Florence this late October, we don't have time to take a day trip to both Lucca and Orviato.

What would you choose and why?

Thanks for the help.

Ahhh, at last an easy question :). The answer is Lucca and the reason is simply geography. It will take you about an hour (2 hours round trip) to drive over to Lucca, but it takes twice as long to get to Orvieto. We would also strongly recommend a visit to San Gimignano with Volterra another nice place to visit while in the area.

Hank

I'm with Hank on this one. If you just have the one day out of Livorno, then I would do Lucca. You would have a much slower pace to be able to savor Lucca and the drive to/from. As much as I love Orvieto for ceramics browsing (and buying), if I only had a ship's day, I'd do Lucca. To make it interesting, you can come back via the road to San Giuliano Terme (stayed at an agroturismo up in the hills there) back to Pisa for a "quickie" at the Leaning Tower, then back to Livorno.

Ahhh, at last an easy question :). The answer is Lucca and the reason is simply geography. It will take you about an hour (2 hours round trip) to drive over to Lucca, but it takes twice as long to get to Orvieto. We would also strongly recommend a visit to San Gimignano with Volterra another nice place to visit while in the area.

Hank

Thanks!

We will be going to Lucca or Orvieto from Florence by train.

Thanks!

We will be going to Lucca or Orvieto from Florence by train.

ahhh! This really does not change my recommendation. The train ride to Orvieto is about 2:15 each way wheras Lucca would be about 1:15. I would add that taking the train to Lucca is pretty convenient since the Lucca station is located a short walk (about 10 min) from the walls of the city.

I truly dislike using trains in this part of Italy because there is just so many places we can stop and see when we have a car. Trains are wonderful to simply get from Point A to Point B, but a car is the best way to explore a particular region. For example, the last time we stayed in Florence we had a gorgeous day and wanted to take advantage of the weather. So we drove over to Voleterra for breakfast and some quick shopping, then to San Gimigano to walk the city and later enjoy lunch, and then cut over to the S222 Road (Wine Trail) where we visited a few wineries (and enjoyed the beautiful Chianti scenery) during the afternoon...and then back to our hotel in Florence by 6...in time for some cocktails before getting ready for dinner. During that same day we stumbled upon a couple of daily markets in smaller villages which also were worthy of some time. You just cannot do this kind of thing with train travel.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks...again hank!

Maybe we'll rent a car. We have never rented in Florence before. Maybe we will give it a try.

The local Hertz franchisee, Sifracar, delivers cars right to the port so it makes for a very easy day. They also have automatics, which I require. We spent a lovely day in late May driving from Livorno to Volterra and back. Volterra was lovely, and we even saw a wedding at the historic City Hall.

Edited by CintiPam

Now I am a bit confused. The OP said "when in Florence" and we posted based on them staying in Florence. But if they really mean they are having a port day in Livorno (which is over an hour from Florence) that is a different place with the same advice :).

Hank

Agree with al!! Rent car if possible..Tuscany is super easy to drive, just pay attention to parking lot signs as you get close to the town as you must park on the outskirts of many of the old walled towns and then walk a bit. Parking is not free!

My personal favorite is Volterra as it isn't so overrun by tourists and is such a magnificent setting. Lucca is great too, very unusual with the city walls A surrounding it...we love to walk the walls and you can bike as well. Love San Gimignano especially if you can visit later in the day when most of the day tourists and buses are gone.

Have fun!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Now I am a bit confused. The OP said "when in Florence" and we posted based on them staying in Florence. But if they really mean they are having a port day in Livorno (which is over an hour from Florence) that is a different place with the same advice :).

Hank

We WILL be located in Florence!

We WILL be located in Florence!

Ok, then we should quickly mention "ZTL"s which are Limited Driving Zones used in quite a few Italian cities including Florence and Pisa. These zones are marked with small signs, and if you drive into the zone your car is photographed and you will get a nasty fine (usually about 60 Euros) which will be added to your credit card (by the rental car company) months after you get home. And to make it more fun, the rental car companies all add their own "administrative fee" often making a ZTL violation cost around 100 Euros.

So if you do rent a car in Florence, make sure the rental car agency shows you the proper route in and out of the city. And if you drive to Pisa, you must be very careful in the area near the Field of Miracles (Tower) since most of the surrounding streets are ZTLs.

Hank