PHARMACY at Cozumel port

Pia1913

• 3 weeks later...

Our insurance just changed and it's completely terrible so I am curious about this. My son takes an antidepressant that even though it's generic, costs a LOT of money. But, I am a scared American and want to make sure the medication really is just as safe as in the US. How do you know it's really what it says it is?

Our insurance just changed and it's completely terrible so I am curious about this. My son takes an antidepressant that even though it's generic, costs a LOT of money. But, I am a scared American and want to make sure the medication really is just as safe as in the US. How do you know it's really what it says it is?

You don't. So if it's something that is necessary for the health of your child, I would not chance it. FYI, I'm a "mexican antibiotic" purchaser, but only use it when I start getting a bad sore throat, and if it doesn't improve I head to the Dr. I wouldn't trust the meds you purchase in Mexico if it's something that you rely on. My husband is on anti-depressants as well and I would NOT purchase those in Mexico since he needs his on a daily basis.

If you want to purchase Retin-A, topicals, antihistimines, something that you can get in the US as an OTC, but want a stronger dose that requires an Rx in the US, I might consider it, but a regular prescription....no, I wouln't trust it.

My insurance just changed also and I've discovered a reliable Canadian pharmacy online for Synthroid and Lipator.

We were just in Cozumel two weeks ago (July) and were able to buy some antibiotics without a prescription near Puerta Maya...some Z-packs.

You don't. So if it's something that is necessary for the health of your child, I would not chance it. FYI, I'm a "mexican antibiotic" purchaser, but only use it when I start getting a bad sore throat, and if it doesn't improve I head to the Dr. I wouldn't trust the meds you purchase in Mexico if it's something that you rely on. My husband is on anti-depressants as well and I would NOT purchase those in Mexico since he needs his on a daily basis.

If you want to purchase Retin-A, topicals, antihistimines, something that you can get in the US as an OTC, but want a stronger dose that requires an Rx in the US, I might consider it, but a regular prescription....no, I wouln't trust it.

Good advice...I'll stick w/Target!

For those complaining about Retin-A now being $50 in Mexico, the last tube I bought was over $200. The previous company no longer makes it and a new company is charging an arm and a leg.

For anyone who has bought Retin-A in Mexico, did you see a difference from the US product?

I never got a reply from the FB message I sent either.

Im sorry about that

I double checked and Raquel from pharmacy Dori (the branch next to Punta Langosta pier) gave me her e-mail raquelmacias@hotmail.com , she told me, you can find her at facebook also, her name is Raquel Macias, she did not tell me her second last name, but you can write on the FB find field: Raquel Macias Cozumel

Edited by Kletina
yes

My vet has family in Mexico and goes all the time. He also said that he would buy medication there...no problem. If there were problems, we would have heard by now as they sell SO much. Our experiences have been positive to date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Antibiotics are no longer avaialble OTC in Mexico. I was just there. You cannot buy them any longer with out an Rx. New law.

Say its not true !!!

Trip next week to coz, was planning on a zpack and cipro refill for the medicine chest.

Say its not true !!!

Trip next week to coz, was planning on a zpack and cipro refill for the medicine chest.

That was last December....and it was on the Mainland. I've head that you should not have a problem getting them in Cozumel. Again....Mexican government at it's finest. Some places are illegal and some are not. I hope it's legal again. I like to stock up on those as well.

just emailed someone in Cozumel to see if the post was true

glad to report that it is not, according to the reply I just got 12/23/2014 antibiotics and other drugs we've been used to getting are still for sale

will be there next week and confirm via a post and picture

• 3 weeks later...
Just how inexpensive are these antibiotics that everyone is buying them in Cozumel?

I think it is more the fact you can get them without a prescription. Antibiotics cost next to nothing even in the United States, but not doctor is going to let you just stock up to have them on hand.

Treating symptoms with antibiotics when you do not know what the actual bacteria is ,is not advisable. This is one reason we now have 'superbugs" which are resistant to antibiotics, ex MRSA. Plus how can you be sure it is bacterial and not viral? Antibiotics due nothing for a virus.