So How Bad is the Ferry Really?

danv3

We'll be in Cozumel for the first time in April, and I'd really like to visit the ruins at Tulum. I'm not concerned about the amount of time spent traveling (that's worth it in my opinion) but I a worried about the rough trip on the ferry. If it's as bad as I've heard, I'm worried that a bad experience on the ferry could really ruin the whole day. I'm not particularly prone to motion sickness, but my wife is.

So tell me the truth...how bad is it???

We didn't experience in trouble. Yes, there is some motion which is unavoidable. We sat inside, mid ship, next to one of the windows. The inside is air conditioned and quite comfortable.

There is a picture of the ferry we rode on in my wife's slide show which you can view at the link below. I think it is the fourth picture that you'll see as the slide show plays. It is a red, black, and white boat so it doesn't look like a typical ferry. I'm not sure whether you will ride on the same type of vessel.

Tulum Shore Excursion

The ruins are amazing! Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I think it may depend on the weather. When I went many moons ago for our honeymoon, I was quite sick from the motion and I have mild motion sickness. I would recommend a window seat if possible as I think that would have been helpful to me. I LOVED Tulum and would definitely do it again even knowing how I felt with the ferry. Bring your swim suits to Tulum as there is a small swimming area below the ruins and it gets super hot there without a place for shade. Not swimming there is my only regret.

We have been on it with smooth sailing to where you are either looking down in the water or up to the sky. The other day we took it and the trip over to Playa was smooth but coming back to Coz we were rocking good.

Definitely going to depend on the water conditions. If your wife gets seasick, have her take a Bonine (Meclazine - OTC motion sickness med), or use her choice of remedy before going. Luckily the bus trip is a straight shot, so that should not be a problem.

Good Luck!

It does depend on the weather/ water conditions. The staff is very courteous and went out of their way to offer comfort as needed. Some had better experience outside in the wind while others were more comfortable in the air conditioning . Tulum is a beautiful place and I'd take my chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took the ferry in March of this year on our way to the Coba ruins, and the ferry was fine. Slight motion, but nothing that interfered with the trip or made anyone around us feel bad.

For me, the worst part was the fact that the windows were so cloudy it was hard to see much out of them.

Our experience was with rough seas, and the crew were passing out bags for people to be sick in. We sat on top in the open air and hung on for dear life, but at least the fresh air helped with not feeling as sick. It likely depends on the weather and the seas, but it can be rough. There is a reason that the excursion descriptions have a notice about taking the ferry and seasickness.

When we went a few years ago there were LOTS of people sick on the way over. The crew were passing out sicks bags, but you had to request them, and I'm pretty sure at least 1 person didn't get theirs in time. Coming back the sailing was calm. My husband and I were fine. if you are prone to sea sickness definitely be prepared.

We've experienced the ferry round trip twice. Both times the morning ride was calm. First ride back was fairly rough...spray coming in through the windows, some gentle stomachs compromised for others. Second time the ride back was rougher than the trip over, but not all that bad.