Philipsburg to Marigot on your own ?

onyx007

• 3 weeks later...

Very easy to get to Marigot from the Cruise Pier! I wouldn't take a bus as that is just a small van that makes however many stops is necessary on it's way. A taxi is much easier and are readily available on both ends. The fare is 15-20 bucks each way for both of you (not each of you).

We did the bus-route and going from Phillipsburg to Marigot was SUPER easy! Our transportation bill for two people the whole day was $11 TOTAL and we went Phillipsburg to Marigot, then Marigot to Maho, then Maho to Phillipsburg, all on our own timetable, because we could stay as long as we wanted at each place and just hop another bus. We definitely wanted to make the trip to Marigot because I love France and jumped at the chance to practice my french and wanted BF to try escargot and try out a french cafe dining experience.

We walked a couple streets back from the beach, still well-within safe, touristy areas and there was bus after bus. Drdewrag is right, they're actually vans, not what you normally think of as buses. They're all those 14-passenger vans and they show their destination in the windshield. So some say Phillipsburg or P'Burg or Phils'Burg, etc. Plenty say Maho or M.Beach. We found one that said "Marigot" after less than 5 minutes of waiting. The buses and taxis often use the same size vehicle so look at the license plate! Buses will be labelled "BUS" and taxis will be labelled "TAXI". Easy enough, right?

Fares are $1-$2 depending on how far you're going. No tipping is necessary/expected and you WILL ride with locals! From Phillipsburg all the way to Marigot, we paid $2/pp. MUCH cheaper than a taxi! You pay when you get OFF the bus; when you get on, just take a seat.

To request a stop, just tell the busdriver "Stop, please." All the ones we had spoke English and were able to help us get where we wanted to go. To find a bus, you either find a bus or wait at a bus stop or "bushalte", BUT do not wait at the ones on congested roads! I don't know how set their routes are, but it seemed like bus drivers would avoid the main road by the market/pier in Marigot due to the terrible traffic there. There were numerous bus stops there but we never saw a bus, only taxis.

Thankfully we were already use to such a loose "bus" structure after Aruba, but there really aren't many designated bus stops or timetables, etc. There are plenty of buses (they probably come more frequently than buses here at least in the Midwest, because more people use them) and you just wave them down. It's a nice system once you get used to it, but very different from our rigid one.

Only thing if you're travelling in a medium/larger group though: on our way back to Phillipsburg later in the day (we're the first of the boat, last back on type of people) our bus passed a group of 4-5 tourists who were very obviously trying to wave us down for a ride. The bus driver breezed right past them without even slowing because we simply didn't have room for that many more people. You can bet they were probably confused and disappointed, but those smaller vans fill up fast just with locals, so if you want a bus for a group near back-onboard time, plan accordingly! Luckily we were just two people, so it worked out fine.

We'd definitely use the bus system again because of how easy/convenient it was and the price is unbeatable!

• 1 month later...
Skipsour: Sounds great, as I am a solo traveller it will not be cheap

to get a taxi for myself, but I might find someone sharing it. Nice

to know, that there is another means of travel.

I did it. The bus on Backstreet is really easy to find as you just have to wait till a van with a licence plate "bus" and a sign "Marigot" show's up.

I don't know if I should have taken a bus from Marigot in direction Philipsburg (or P'Burg) and change somewhere along the way, but there was no direct bus from Marigot to Maho beach. So I walked for about 90 min.

But back from Maho beach (at the roundabout) there was no problem to catch another bus back to Philipsburg, which made it 4 US-Dollars.

• 5 months later...
We did the bus-route and going from Phillipsburg to Marigot was SUPER easy! Our transportation bill for two people the whole day was $11 TOTAL and we went Phillipsburg to Marigot, then Marigot to Maho, then Maho to Phillipsburg, all on our own timetable, because we could stay as long as we wanted at each place and just hop another bus. We definitely wanted to make the trip to Marigot because I love France and jumped at the chance to practice my french and wanted BF to try escargot and try out a french cafe dining experience.

We walked a couple streets back from the beach, still well-within safe, touristy areas and there was bus after bus. Drdewrag is right, they're actually vans, not what you normally think of as buses. They're all those 14-passenger vans and they show their destination in the windshield. So some say Phillipsburg or P'Burg or Phils'Burg, etc. Plenty say Maho or M.Beach. We found one that said "Marigot" after less than 5 minutes of waiting. The buses and taxis often use the same size vehicle so look at the license plate! Buses will be labelled "BUS" and taxis will be labelled "TAXI". Easy enough, right?

Fares are $1-$2 depending on how far you're going. No tipping is necessary/expected and you WILL ride with locals! From Phillipsburg all the way to Marigot, we paid $2/pp. MUCH cheaper than a taxi! You pay when you get OFF the bus; when you get on, just take a seat.

To request a stop, just tell the busdriver "Stop, please." All the ones we had spoke English and were able to help us get where we wanted to go. To find a bus, you either find a bus or wait at a bus stop or "bushalte", BUT do not wait at the ones on congested roads! I don't know how set their routes are, but it seemed like bus drivers would avoid the main road by the market/pier in Marigot due to the terrible traffic there. There were numerous bus stops there but we never saw a bus, only taxis.

Thankfully we were already use to such a loose "bus" structure after Aruba, but there really aren't many designated bus stops or timetables, etc. There are plenty of buses (they probably come more frequently than buses here at least in the Midwest, because more people use them) and you just wave them down. It's a nice system once you get used to it, but very different from our rigid one.

Only thing if you're travelling in a medium/larger group though: on our way back to Phillipsburg later in the day (we're the first of the boat, last back on type of people) our bus passed a group of 4-5 tourists who were very obviously trying to wave us down for a ride. The bus driver breezed right past them without even slowing because we simply didn't have room for that many more people. You can bet they were probably confused and disappointed, but those smaller vans fill up fast just with locals, so if you want a bus for a group near back-onboard time, plan accordingly! Luckily we were just two people, so it worked out fine.

We'd definitely use the bus system again because of how easy/convenient it was and the price is unbeatable!

I am planning to do the same trip from Phillipsburg-Marigot-Maho-Phillipsburg..

Can you confirm the details of this? How much is it from Marigot to Maho? I understand you have to switch bus half way at the circle...is it easy to catch the other bus? So is it a dollar for the 1st part then another dollar to Maho?

And where do you catch the Maho beach bus back? I am planning to go to Mullet beach first, then walk to Maho then head back...so is the bus from Maho just at the beach or you have to walk somewhere to catch it?

Thanks

I am planning to do the same trip from Phillipsburg-Marigot-Maho-Phillipsburg..

Can you confirm the details of this? How much is it from Marigot to Maho? I understand you have to switch bus half way at the circle...is it easy to catch the other bus? So is it a dollar for the 1st part then another dollar to Maho?

And where do you catch the Maho beach bus back? I am planning to go to Mullet beach first, then walk to Maho then head back...so is the bus from Maho just at the beach or you have to walk somewhere to catch it?

Thanks

You are going to spend $1,000+ to take a ship to get to St. Maarten and then you plan to spend a lot of your time there waiting for/riding crowded busses to save perhaps $20?

Rent a car!!! It was super easy. We were one of the first off the ship, the rental place (hertz I think), was right at the end of the pier. We drove all over St. Martin and St. Maarten with no problem. We went to Marigot, a flea market there, lunch, etc. And ended at Maho to watch the planes come in. Just make sure you reserve online before hand and join their loyalty club so you get to the front of the line. It was super easy to drive around there and even with insurance it was only about $50.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimmyvinny

Rent a car!!! It was super easy. We were one of the first off the ship, the rental place (hertz I think), was right at the end of the pier. We drove all over St. Martin and St. Maarten with no problem. We went to Marigot, a flea market there, lunch, etc. And ended at Maho to watch the planes come in. Just make sure you reserve online before hand and join their loyalty club so you get to the front of the line. It was super easy to drive around there and even with insurance it was only about $50.

Really? Hertz is at the Pier? I thought they only had some local company which is why I am knida reluctant

You are going to spend $1,000+ to take a ship to get to St. Maarten and then you plan to spend a lot of your time there waiting for/riding crowded busses to save perhaps $20?

From the sounds of it, there's hardly any waiting.. and it's more adventurous..taking fake "taxis" from the pier is kinda lame....been there before lol

Really? Hertz is at the Pier? I thought they only had some local company which is why I am knida reluctant

Yes. At Phillipsburg pier. You had me nervous for a minute but I double checked and the pier is still a location.

• 2 weeks later...
From the sounds of it, there's hardly any waiting.. and it's more adventurous..taking fake "taxis" from the pier is kinda lame....been there before lol

Go for it! I stayed in the Maho Village area for a week early this year and it was fun and easy to get a bus to/from Maho/Phillipsburg/Marigot. When getting bus from Maho Beach walk towards to the village (couple of minutes) and you will see plenty of busses stopping by the hotel (sorry can't remember name).

When going from Marigot to Maho, just ask the driver where you catch the connecting service (again just a couple of minutes walk along the road), and yes, you have to pay for each journey do on a bus - so $1 for each bus.

Go for it! I stayed in the Maho Village area for a week early this year and it was fun and easy to get a bus to/from Maho/Phillipsburg/Marigot. When getting bus from Maho Beach walk towards to the village (couple of minutes) and you will see plenty of busses stopping by the hotel (sorry can't remember name).

When going from Marigot to Maho, just ask the driver where you catch the connecting service (again just a couple of minutes walk along the road), and yes, you have to pay for each journey do on a bus - so $1 for each bus.

Great..I think I got a pretty good idea where to do the switch bus. Do you pay when getting on or getting off? So it is half the price if you only do half of the ride (i.e. Marigot to Cole Bay)..do they keep track of that?

Hope I can find the "village" from Maho beach to get the bus back to Phillipsburg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

No problem finding where to get the bus for your return journey as its only a couple of minutes away and its where all the traffic is, you can't miss it.

You pay when you get off the bus and the drivers remember who and where they got on. When I did the Marigot to Maho trip it was $1 for each part of the journey. $2 for Maho to Phillipsburg.

Enjoy!

I guess it depends on how you see it. If the beach is your "activity" for the day, then you're right. If experiencing a new place (buses and all) is your "activity", then enjoy the trip getting there.

We took the bus from Phillipsburg to Maho. Didn't wait at all. What would have cost about $40 for the four of us was $10 total. I look forward to taking it to Marigot this time. Super easy to find in Phillipsburg.

We took the bus from Phillipsburg to Maho. Didn't wait at all. What would have cost about $40 for the four of us was $10 total. I look forward to taking it to Marigot this time. Super easy to find in Phillipsburg.

After debarking the ship, where should we walk to find the buses? Also, is it correct that if we're going from Marigot to Maho, we need to switch buses mid-ride?

At the end of the pier walk behind the Information Booth, which is on your right hand side. Keep walking out of the gated area and you'll then see the street. At the street, make a left and follow others that are also walking to Front St. in Philipsburg. The buses are minvans and you'll find them on Back St, which runs parallel to Front St. Their license plate will indicate *BUS* and they'll have a sign in the window for Marigot. The walk is aprrox. 20 mins. to Back St.

I believe you have to take 2 buses to get to Maho from Marigot, can't help with that one, others on the board will know the specifics. You can also ask again on the bus to Marigot, how to get to Maho. Others do it with no problems. I would prefer taking a taking taxi from Marigot to Maho, it's more convenient and we're on vacation.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

• 7 months later...