Does Golden Eagle cat make stop at Maho?

flahagan

We are looking into the 1/2 day catamaran tour on Golden Eagle through Carnival and would like to know if they usually make a short stop to see a plane land at Maho.

We are in port from 9 to 6, so I'm thinking it would be an afternoon tour.

Teen grandkids would like to see this, but I hate to spend close to $100 just for taxi fare there and back. We plan to do a catamaran tour either here or St. Kitts, so I'm thinking this would take care of two things at once!

If anyone has done a cat tour on both these islands, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

We did Golden Eagle on our first cruise 7 years ago and it did stop at Maho Beach, maybe they've changed??

Was it the Golden Eagle Catamaran excursion thru the ship or a Golden Eagle Tour you booked on your own? :confused:

On the ones offered thru the ship we have never been anyplace even close to Maho Beach.

LuLu

We did Golden Eagle on our first cruise 7 years ago and it did stop at Maho Beach, maybe they've changed??

My understanding is that the Golden Eagle doing the half-day sailings for cruise passengers MAY visit Mullet Bay Beach (just past Maho Beach) if the wind/weather/sea conditions prevent it from doing their normal route, which I believe is north, along the eastern side of the island.

We've never done the half-day, but we've done the full day around the island sailing many times. We've always been able to take the normal route, then on the final stretch across the western/southern edge of the island back to Great Bay, if a large aircraft was on final approach, they would pause just off of Maho for the show.

They can't wait directly below the flight path, as there is a 'no sail zone'.

gary

Yes, I've read quite a few reviews of the half-day tour that mention seeing some planes land, but maybe that's not always the case.

Is the Golden Eagle through toursxmdotcom different from the Golden Eagle that's offered through the cruiselines? I'm thinking there must be more than one of them, makes it confusing. The one through toursxmdotcom is $15 cheaper and sounds identical, but it leaves at 9AM, which is when our ship arrives.

I'll probably go ahead and book through the ship and keep my fingers crossed that we get to see one of the planes come in, even if from a distance. Glad to hear everyone enjoyed it, anyway.

We did a half day with French Connection this past April. It was pretty good, but the seas were very rough. They did anchor at Mullett Bay near Maho, and we saw some small planes land, but I don't think the huge jets come in until the afternoon. French Connection contracts with Royal Caribbean, as Golden Eagle does with Carnival. We've done Golden Eagle in the past and enjoyed their trip. The French Connection was docked right across from the cruise ship port and was a 3 minute walk to get there. The boat was spacious even with the RCL excursions passengers (we were the only ones that had booked independently). The crew was nice. The food was basically chips/salsa and a chunk of bread with deli turkey or ham or cheese on it. Good rum punch, though.

Enjoy your trip!

https://stmaartencruiseexcursions.com/StMaartenCatamaran.htm

Edited by cruisetexas

• 2 weeks later...