Under 21 waiver for UBP

Gershep

With this new promotion you can choose the Ultimate Beverage Package. My two sons, 25 and 20 (1 month shy of 21) will be in the same cabin. I will be signing the under 21 waiver that allows him to purchase/drink beer and wine. Does anyone know if the under 21 can use the UBP to purchase beer and wine or can he only purchase soda. Thank you!

As I understand it, the 3rd person gets soda package no matter what the age Its probably due to lower fare the 3rd person is paying

As I read OP's post, the boys will be passengers 1 and 2 in their own cabin so the soda package doesn't have anything to do with the situation.

Yes and under the T&C's, it cannot be purchased by anyone under 21, attached from the T&C's

" You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol."

Once you board, I would ask the Hotel Director about letting him have the Corks and Caps package with you sign off on his drinking. Corks and Caps lets him have unlimited wine and beer.

Good luck.

20 or 21, why would a parent encourage their child to drink alcohol at all. There are lots of other ways to enjoy life.

Giving permission is not encouraging - also the reasoning that a legal adult should get their parents' permission to do anything is out of this world.

There are also other ways to travel than vehicles that use fossil fuels but people still use cruise ships and cars instead of walking and swimming. ;)

Edited by Demonyte

20 or 21, why would a parent encourage their child to drink alcohol at all. There are lots of other ways to enjoy life.

That's the OP's business, and it's neither your place nor mine to say what someone should do. However, as someone who's seen too many teens severely hurt themselves with illegal binging, I fully support parents who want to encourage good habits and rules with their kids when it comes to drinking. With the parental waiver, teens are limited to beverages with relatively lower alcohol content. Also, having them part of the system of purchasing alcohol from the bars serves as a precaution. How could the crew possibly keep tabs on the sobriety and behavior of a teen who is purchasing hard liquor illegally through a second-hand source? Bartenders aren't infallible when it comes to cutting people off, but there's no chance of that happening at all when you remove them from the system entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes and under the T&C's, it cannot be purchased by anyone under 21, attached from the T&C's

" You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol."

But this isn't actually true, since they allow 18 year olds to purchase the Corks & Caps package on European sailings. And technically we aren't talking about "purchasing" any package; NCL is giving the UBP away for free, so the ordinary T&C do not necessarily apply. I think your suggestion of asking for the free UBP to be downgraded to a free Corks & Caps package is a good idea, and I would not let them downgrade it to a free soda package if the 20 year old is paying a full cruise fare like any other adult passenger 1-2.
20 or 21, why would a parent encourage their child to drink alcohol at all.
The UBP includes many non-alcoholic drinks that are not included in the soda package. And as a parent I would encourage my child to be a savvy consumer and make sure to get the full benefits of a special offer that a company advertises.

It's definitely not encouraging. My parents always allowed me to have a beer or wine at family functions. While my friends were out sneaking around, getting drunk, etc., I never did. It never had any appeal to me, since I was allowed to have it at home. :cool: Further, anyone who is legally able to die for his/her country is more than able to have a beer if they want.

Edited by SissasMomE

Well I guess I must be a bad parent! As one post stated growing up I was allowed to drink in front of my parents and I have allowed my sons to do the same within reason. My "under aged" son goes away to college and unless I wear blinders I know he is going to drink. I would rather know what he is drinking than try and sneak it. We spend 99% of our time on vacation together so I am aware of what he is drinking. The drinking age when I was growing up was 18 and I faired pretty well. My son is old enough to fight for this country so having a couple of beers or a glass of wine short of his 21st birthday is not going to harm him. If the package is offered then he should be able to get it for free instead of having to pay for it. I like the idea of the corks package but I don't know if they will allow that. He doesn't drink soda so that would not be beneficial. Thanks to those of you who had my back!

Well I guess I must be a bad parent! As one post stated growing up I was allowed to drink in front of my parents and I have allowed my sons to do the same within reason. My "under aged" son goes away to college and unless I wear blinders I know he is going to drink. I would rather know what he is drinking than try and sneak it. We spend 99% of our time on vacation together so I am aware of what he is drinking. The drinking age when I was growing up was 18 and I faired pretty well. My son is old enough to fight for this country so having a couple of beers or a glass of wine short of his 21st birthday is not going to harm him. If the package is offered then he should be able to get it for free instead of having to pay for it. I like the idea of the corks package but I don't know if they will allow that. He doesn't drink soda so that would not be beneficial. Thanks to those of you who had my back!

I am in 100% agreement with you! Sorry, but I also grew up in an era where drinking age was 18, and guess what? I don't recall the level of binge drinking we see today, from kids who don't have any experience with alcohol until they go off to college on their own. Agree that if you're old enough to die for your country, you should be able to enjoy a beer if you wish! Good luck with the promo, I hope it works out for your son.