Please help us decide:

Jetswdo

We make it a policy to pick from cruise excursions when a tender port-- regarding snorkel trips-- so there are two that look ok for us:

From Royal Caribbean: BE 31-- Rendezvous Caye and --BE G6 which uses Starfish Island.

We are very experienced snorkelers, will have our wet suits and our own fins, goggles, masks, etc.

Which one offers the most time snorkeling-- We want the least time on the beach- but I really need beach loungers- I know no umbrellas are available in either island- does one offer more shade than the other. (I will bring my collapsible small sunbrella, a ton of sunscreen, and coverups to make it work.)

We are in our 60's and totally uncomfortable sitting directly on the beach.

Do we need to pay extra for chairs? Are enough available-- would we have to run like nuts to get chairs? Just trying to understand the total picture, before we make up our minds. Thanks for all info

• 4 weeks later...
We make it a policy to pick from cruise excursions when a tender port-- regarding snorkel trips-- so there are two that look ok for us:

From Royal Caribbean: BE 31-- Rendezvous Caye and --BE G6 which uses Starfish Island.

We are very experienced snorkelers, will have our wet suits and our own fins, goggles, masks, etc.

Which one offers the most time snorkeling-- We want the least time on the beach- but I really need beach loungers- I know no umbrellas are available in either island- does one offer more shade than the other. (I will bring my collapsible small sunbrella, a ton of sunscreen, and coverups to make it work.)

We are in our 60's and totally uncomfortable sitting directly on the beach.

Do we need to pay extra for chairs? Are enough available-- would we have to run like nuts to get chairs? Just trying to understand the total picture, before we make up our minds. Thanks for all info

While I can't help you with Royals excursions, I can tell you that Starfish Island use to be called Bannister Island. We went there several years ago. There was no snorkeling within the beach/island area (maybe there is around the island, I'm not sure) but when you did snorkel there were TONS of starfish everywhere (which is probably why they renamed it after new owners took over). They use to get terrible reviews (when it was Bannister), but honestly, we liked the place for the most part. It was different and we enjoyed our day there. (I have a review in my signature line if you are interested in seeing tons of pictures of the place...it's pretty much the same from what I have read and seen).

Now, with that being said, I have read in the past, after new management took over, that they will NOT allow you to snorkel there on your own now (even with your own equipment) and that the starfish have been moved to a "pen" that's fenced off in the water for everyone to see them. Which sounds pretty crappy to me. I can't say first hand, but if you do some research, you might be able to find it.

I have not been to Rendezvous before, but have done a lot of research on it and it's a small little island in the middle of nowhere and there's a similar island like it (Goffs Caye) that I did go to last year. I hope to make it to Rendezvous some day myself. :)

We have been to Rendezvous Caye, but I can't remember if it was with Princess or Carnival. We were split into three groups for snorkeling. We were in the advanced group that snorkeled completely around the island. Each group had a different entry spot, and we all ended in an area that had easy beach entry (where the beginners snorkeled). Once we were finished with our group we were free to lounge on the beach or snorkel more in the beginner area. There were some shade structures but I don't think they were palapas.

There was food and drinks sold on the island

Our DD will be going there in a few days and will be back in the end of July as part of a turtle conservation course. I will have her pay closer attention to the chairs and shade.

We did Rendezvous and were disappointed. Granted the weather was lousy and there had been storms before. The water was murky, nothing to see. It's very small and yes even though you are divided into groups, you are packed in close together and have to avoid getting kicked. Not a good choice for experienced snorkelers (we are too). just my two cents.

We generally don't do private excursions on tender ports as we had a problem once before- Coral Breeze allows 2 hours to get to their office and is used to passengers getting on the tenders after the shore excursion people- they were very reassuring in their email-----So hopefully the day will go smoothly...

I know the cruise ship has similar tour, but I like that Coral Breeze just leaves enough time to grab a quick bite for lunch on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

-- Rendezvous Caye

e we make up our minds. Thanks for all info

Confirmed by our DD who was at Rendevous Caye today: There are palapas and loungers that were first come first served. She is doing research on sea turtles in Belize. While at Rendevous Caye, her group also saw eagle ray, and a manatee, along with lots of fish.

They never responded to my emails; I finally called them up, received ridiculous answers to why they didn't respond, which I posted on another thread. Bottom line, I am sticking to doing a ship's excursion, even though it sometimes is more money or not as good as a private one might be, on tender ports which on my experience tends to be a pain in the butt--

So we decided on the Sharks and snorkel activity which hopefully includes Caye Caulker although Royal Caribbean doesn't mention that-- Why this cruise line is so unbelievably vague with their excursions is beyond me. Princess does do a much better job with that- time is itemized and specific.

I think this Shark snorkel provides more snorkel time in general then the other ones, which is what we were looking for. Thanks for all the replies. Anita

They never responded to my emails; I finally called them up, received ridiculous answers to why they didn't respond, which I posted on another thread. Bottom line, I am sticking to doing a ship's excursion, even though it sometimes is more money or not as good as a private one might be, on tender ports which on my experience tends to be a pain in the butt--

So we decided on the Sharks and snorkel activity which hopefully includes Caye Caulker although Royal Caribbean doesn't mention that-- Why this cruise line is so unbelievably vague with their excursions is beyond me. Princess does do a much better job with that- time is itemized and specific.

I think this Shark snorkel provides more snorkel time in general then the other ones, which is what we were looking for. Thanks for all the replies. Anita

We always try to do private if we can, but I agree with you that sometimes it's just easier and safer to do a ship excursion. No problem with that. The other advantage to doing a ship excursion from a tender port is that sometimes they pick you right up from the ship (no need to tender over to the port and then catch another boat to your location/island...this happened to us before and made it more than worth it). Yes, you might not get the same service or commentary you would from a local vendor and you might have a whole lot more people on the boat with you, but also remember that these excursions are also provided by local vendors that the ship has contracted with. So, you never know. :)

Have you tried going on to their (Royals) excursions and hitting the "reviews" button for the excursion (I assume they have that since the other cruise lines do). Sometimes the reviewers of the excursion will mention the places they went by name and you can get your answer that way (I have done this before when I have tried to figure out was beach an excursion goes to for a listed "beach break").

Either way, have a wonderful day on your tour. :)

I too have been trying to decide between the two. I have actually been to rendeverous before. Tiny island very little shade but the snorkeling was good. I think this time since we are driving I will bring my own beach umbrella just for this excursion. It's not a huge one.

We have used coral breezes twice and I give them mixed reviews. They are hard to get a response from and have cancelled at the last minute. The excursions we did take with them were good but we were too close getting back for the last tender. Plus it is such a pain to take the tender over to Belize that I prefer an excursion straight from the ship. I have no need to shop or eat there.

If you want snorkeling in Belize, Shark Ray Alley and Island Excursion is the best or anything do to with the Hol Chan Reserve and/or Coral Gardens. You won't regret it. THIS is what Belize is known for and why people from all around the world go there.