New Nikon Shipping D810

framer

This is not for the average user but I just my hands on a new Nikon D810 and was blown away. They've tweaked it just right IMHO.

Whisper quite shutter for those theater shots. Bigger buffer, 5fps, fast perfect AF, 36mpx. It has no AA filter of any kind, sharp, sharp, sharp.

One problem if you check this out at your local camera store...you'll walk out with it, bring your credit card.

framer

Congrats on the new camera! I almost upgraded to it as well, but decided to go with the D4S instead. But yeah I would have to agree with Pierces, if a camera was half the size and $1k less, it would be an amazing travel camera. Hopefully the next DF will be closer to the D810 specs vs the D4/s line.

Congrats on the new camera! I almost upgraded to it as well, but decided to go with the D4S instead. But yeah I would have to agree with Pierces, if a camera was half the size and $1k less, it would be an amazing travel camera. Hopefully the next DF will be closer to the D810 specs vs the D4/s line.

My comment was sort of tongue in cheek...:) The camera I was describing was the full-frame Sony A7r. Not apples to apples for all features, but since it uses the same improved 36MP sensor with no AA filter, the image quality will be comparable. I've been travelling with my NEX cameras for a while now and find the tiny camera bag "liberating". I still have my DSLR for times when its faster focus and balance for long lenses is just better suited to the situation but I have never run into a situation where I felt compromised while shooting on vacation. The best camera is usually two or three cameras!

It's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Didn't even realize you were talking about the Sony A7r. Was hoping if I wanted everything...it wouldn't involve replacing all my glass lol

The mirrorless format has a very short registration distance which allows you to use almost any lens on a NEX/Alpha-E mount camera. The Novoflex adapters for Nikon lenses have an aperture ring that controls the aperture on newer Nikkor glass. Manual focus is very easy and accurate as the camera has focus peaking like high-end video cameras. (Best thing that ever happened to my lensbaby!)

Still, if you have the money and shoot Nikon, there's not much bad to be said about the D810.

Did I say it was a great time to be a photographer? :)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

All my FX bodies are gone, traded my D4 for a D800e ( a very very nice camera with some faults ) a D600 ( had two, another nice camera but Nikon blew with this oil spitter ) and some cash.

Sold the D600s' before the D610 came out and the D800e is gone too. Whew as the D800 and D800e resale market is in freefall, wonder why.

Thought long and hard about getting a dF, but as cool as the retro is and as nice as the 16meg sensor is in this one, Nikon blew it again. Imagine if you had the choice between a D810s or d610s with the 16Meg sensor for 3699 and 2799 respectively and the DF with instead the d610 sensor for its current price what would most people who buy the DF be buying. You'd have all the DF buyers and a lot more, including me with a second body with the 16meg sensor.. but it will be all 36Meg and D810 baby!

Now am looking to get that d810 for my fall shooting. In my quick tests the d800e downsampled was almost the equal of the D4 in low light only a tad less DR, but no amount of tweeking a 16Meg pixel will yield you what the 36meg sensor gives you to work with. The DR at the lower ISO the D4s can't match, the improved focus is more than enough except for the sports / event shooters who need that last 2% performance for $3000 more.

I will be a happy shooter this fall with the D810 with a grip shooting alongside a pair of Nikon 1s :D

All my FX bodies are gone, traded my D4 for a D800e ( a very very nice camera with some faults ) a D600 ( had two, another nice camera but Nikon blew with this oil spitter ) and some cash.

D800e and D600 are both FX bodies....just saying. ;)

Everyday I'm being amazed with the D810. Every time I pick it up I'm finding new things that I like about it. WB really works, Group AF really works.

I'm on a CA coastal in 6 weeks and will post some stuff at that time. Images posted on the WEB really won't do it justice though, they need to be printed big like 16 x 20 and up.

framer

You lucky bum…just saw a great comparison shooting of the Canon 5Diii (which I have) vs the Nikon 810…definitely better in low light, shadows, etc…great camera, so I have camera envy now…but my 5Diii is awesome too, for what I shoot…so I'll have to keep it, but you've done well to switch. My next switch will be to a M4/3 to save weight…couple of years down the line. Enjoy!

Playing last night in the backyard with the D810 w/400mm f2.8 AFS II w/TC20E III attached, distance about 50 feet.

Full frame image ff.jpg for reference.

100% crop of eye. eye.jpg

framer

Edited by framer

This is not for the average user but I just my hands on a new Nikon D810 and was blown away. They've tweaked it just right IMHO.

Whisper quite shutter for those theater shots. Bigger buffer, 5fps, fast perfect AF, 36mpx. It has no AA filter of any kind, sharp, sharp, sharp.

One problem if you check this out at your local camera store...you'll walk out with it, bring your credit card.

framer

I doubt it;) I have an 800E and the improvements aren't enough to justify the hit Id take dropping the 800. Now if the D4s dropped down to that price...:D

D4 and d800e are gone, played with the d810. On paper the little things don't seem like much, togather Nikon has managed to take the already amazing sensor and wrap it in the perfect package. Sold my 800e for 2200 figure the 810 will cost me 1100 more that is less than 50 bucks a month assuming I keep it two years. In a couple years the d800 and 800e will be selling for less than 1700 while the 810 can likely still get me 2000+ on the used market a no brainier upgrade

Of course there is a rumored new sports camera soon to be announced that May be the long awaited d700 successor. If nikon pits the d4 sensor I. The d810 body that will be another huge seller. Having used bothe sensors I actuall still might opt for that wonderful 36 meg sensor as more details is always better than less.

I doubt it;) I have an 800E and the improvements aren't enough to justify the hit Id take dropping the 800. Now if the D4s dropped down to that price...:D
Edited by chipmaster

I got to spend all weekend studying this new body, practicing all the bell and whistles it offers. It keeps getting better and better.

The HDR function just works great and is easy, adds that extra range without any hassle.

Check out the new AF and every selection it offers.

Having fun, looking forward to the next cruise to put it to use.:cool:

framer

I was never a pixel junkie thinking 12 was plenty and that 16 was more than plenty. Than I saw what 24 could do and soon after what 36 looks like! More info is always better than less and with the better af, new shutter, faster performance there is nothing lagging this high res monster that can still easily shoot 6400 well and 12800 with some care

Chipmaster, I agree completely. I have and still use a D2hs that's only 4meg for web based product photography every month. I use to, in the day, blow that 4meg image to 16 x 24 with the help of several software program with amazing results. Well it was amazing for a 4meg DX size image.

Time moves on and I'm a quality, pixel peeping, addict today.

One thing to keep in mind that it's more then meg pixels, advancements in AF systems, light meter modes, the camera computer processing power and firmware, faster RAM all come into play with newer units. In reality, to me, it's camera computer processing power that's the key to improved performance.

I'm currently on a 5 year schedule upgrading digital bodies, I then use the old body as a secondary body for another 5 years.

framer

Edited by framer

Related to Dave's post can someone please explain this to me.

Would this be something that would happen in manual mode or automatic or both and either way under what situations would the camera be in the setting noted below?

Thanks,

Keith

======================================================

Service Advisory From Nikon.

Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

We have received a few reports from some users of the Nikon D810 digital SLR camera indicating that bright spots are sometimes noticeable in long exposures, and in some images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).

After looking into the matter, we have determined that bright spots may occasionally be noticeable when shooting long exposures, and in images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).

Nikon service centers will service these cameras that have already been purchased as needed free of charge to the customer.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

framer thanks for the explanation.

First I thought my camera was not an issue but I realized I do have one of the impacted cameras but don't want to rush to get it addressed as they didn't say what the turn around time will be. I also thought it strange that they said not to return it in the original packing.

Keith

framer thanks for the explanation.

First I thought my camera was not an issue but I realized I do have one of the impacted cameras but don't want to rush to get it addressed as they didn't say what the turn around time will be. I also thought it strange that they said not to return it in the original packing.

Keith

They said 7 to 10 days.