Cozumel

GalCruzer

So not sure what to do when we reach this Port. And wondering if it is somewhat like the Port in Nassau, in that pretty much once you step off the ship you can basically walk through town to maybe explore on your own? If so what is recommended as far ad places to tour, eat and shop?

Will be there Feb, what is the weather usually like?

Thanks!

So not sure what to do when we reach this Port. And wondering if it is somewhat like the Port in Nassau, in that pretty much once you step off the ship you can basically walk through town to maybe explore on your own? If so what is recommended as far ad places to tour, eat and shop?

Thanks!

First time I went to Cozumel, I did the excursion to Tulum to see the Mayan Ruins which to me, was very interesting. Your ship probably has an excursion to there. It is a long excursion time wise. The excursion is not in Cozumel, you take the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen where you board the bus there. All my other visits to Cozumel, did one beach & the Cozumel Bar Hop or walked around town. Depends on what you want to do.

Forgot to add about the weather. I always go to weather.com to check for conditions since I never can remember how weather is at the Ports we will be visiting. There should be a area on that web site for what is typical for that time of year.

Edited by islandatsea

Thanks for that. I actually did look into doing a tour of Tulum to see the Mayan Ruins and while still considering that, since I'm not crazy about the transportation over to there, was just hoping something to do within walking distance from the Pier. That why I'm wondering if the pier in Cozumel somewhat like the one in Nassau.

Basically looking where to shop tour and eat in this area.

Gal,

Cozumel is like what you stated. Once you get off ship lots of eating, shopping etc. One my husband and I went on sail snorkel and beach party excursion that brought us back in time to eat at one of the pier restaurants Called Panchos that has a store with it.

The second time we were there we went to all inclusive paradise beach for the day. Prebooked online then took taxi. We loved it. Food was great!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

There are three cruise pier areas in Coz, so your ability to walk into town will depend upon which pier you are at. All of the peirs offer shopping and typical tourist bars if that is all you want to do.

Coz is an island so most of the activities revolve around the water (snorkel, scuba, fishing, sailing, etc.) or the beaches; the beach clubs are primarily on the same side of the island, so the sand/water quality are essentially similar and the differenc eis in the size and amenities -- small/quiet/all-inclusive (like Nachi Cocom) up to huge pay-as-you-go operations (like Paradise Beach).

Weather in Feb should be wonderful! :D Good luck! :)

Two of the piers are about 2km south of the town of San Miguel. It's a fabulous little town with a great town square, lots of shops, vendors, restaurants, etc. Walk back into the square and go down one of the side streets....so much fun.

If you are lucky enough to dock at Punta Langosta Pier (which is right in town) then yes, you can walk right off the ship and wander the shops.

If you dock at Puerta Maya or International Pier (they are next to each other about 2 km from town) you have the "port shops" which are the touristy shops that you see at a lot of ports and a few restaurants. Many people are satisfied staying at the port, but we like it to be a little more "authentic" so we always head to town.

You can easily catch a cab for a few $$ (about $8 or so each way)to town. You can also walk, as there is a waterfront sidewalk all the way, but it can be hot, so we take a cab to the south end of town, then work our way up and through the square, then catch a cab back.

Very tourist friendly!

Two of the piers are about 2km south of the town of San Miguel. It's a fabulous little town with a great town square, lots of shops, vendors, restaurants, etc. Walk back into the square and go down one of the side streets....so much fun.

If you are lucky enough to dock at Punta Langosta Pier (which is right in town) then yes, you can walk right off the ship and wander the shops.

If you dock at Puerta Maya or International Pier (they are next to each other about 2 km from town) you have the "port shops" which are the touristy shops that you see at a lot of ports and a few restaurants. Many people are satisfied staying at the port, but we like it to be a little more "authentic" so we always head to town.

You can easily catch a cab for a few $$ (about $8 or so each way)to town. You can also walk, as there is a waterfront sidewalk all the way, but it can be hot, so we take a cab to the south end of town, then work our way up and through the square, then catch a cab back.

Very tourist friendly!

EXACTLY!!

It all depends which dock your boat arrives at as to whether you are close to town. The city is San Miguel and wonderful to walk around in, visit tons of shops or restaurants just off the main street.

If your boat docks at the piers south of town, you will need to take a taxi. Do NOT try to walk to town, it is over a mile and hot. There will be zillions of taxi cabs lined up along the street... take one to town, if that is what you want to do. Just tell them to drop you at the square.

Locals are very friendly but there are timeshare hawkers who will bug you unless you tell them no thankyou.

Thanks!

Once off the ship, you can do whatever you wish. The weather is normally excellent in February. :)

LuLu

I believe we will doc at the Punta Langosta Pier. Not sure if that is southern or not. But either way it sounds like a good spot.

Lucky you if that is indeed the case! Punta Langosta is the pier right in town! Great if you want to wander the town. You literally walk off the ship (through a shopping area....of course) and you are in town. No taxi's needed.

While Carnival usually uses Puerta Maya, the Paradise is a smaller ship and if other larger Carnival ships are using the PM pier, it's quite possible you will be at Punta Langosta.

Lucky you if that is indeed the case! Punta Langosta is the pier right in town! Great if you want to wander the town. You literally walk off the ship (through a shopping area....of course) and you are in town. No taxi's needed.

While Carnival usually uses Puerta Maya, the Paradise is a smaller ship and if other larger Carnival ships are using the PM pier, it's quite possible you will be at Punta Langosta.

I got this info from Carnival customer service themselves as well as their website. I'm hoping that is the case, because that sounds like the one to be at.

yes, if you want town then Punta Langosta pier is right at the southern end. Get off the ship, walk over in the overpass and keep walking. The tunnel walks you right into a shopping mall. Everything there will be more expensive than the smaller "local" shops. Walk north and take a block west to see the real Cozumel stores and meet the people. They are wonderfully friendly and not pushy. You will hear "come into my store and take a look, we are cheaper than Walmart". But that is as pushy as they get. Bargain on prices if you are in a small shop. If you are in a store on the main street, you probably have to pay the full price tag.

Best place to get a frozen margarita is Wet Wendys. It is an outdoor bar just NE of the Square. Directly across the street are a couple of excellent shops that we always buy wood carved masks.