Information about American's Test Kitchen

tulip2010

My husband and I are big foodies. We are planning a trip on the NA in March 2018 to the Carribean. Wondering if it will include Test Kitchen. It looks like a lot of fun. HAL website says it will be rolled out on all ships by 2018.

Also would love to hear what it was like from those who participateed.

Thanks in advance:)

My husband and I are big foodies. We are planning a trip on the NA in March 2018 to the Carribean. Wondering if it will include Test Kitchen. It looks like a lot of fun. HAL website says it will be rolled out on all ships by 2018.

Nieuw Amsterdam is going into dry dock in December so presumably anything it is supposed to have that it does not yet have will be added then. That's my hope at least.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I was on NA this April and they had it then. The host will have recipes available and will present two in each showing. Love the show and had a great time. In our 7 day cruise, there were 3 "shows" with different recipes in each.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for that news Tanada.

My understanding is that, while it is not an explicit limitation, the available "student" spots in their "classes" are generally all taken up by elite passengers. Did you (or does anyone else) have any insight into how that is working out? Do non-elite Neptune Suite passengers (for example) have a chance?

My understanding is that, while it is not an explicit limitation, the available "student" spots in their "classes" are generally all taken up by elite passengers. Did you (or does anyone else) have any insight into how that is working out? Do non-elite Neptune Suite passengers (for example) have a chance?

It's not necessarily Neptune Suite passengers that are taking the spots, it's 5 star Mariners who get a free cooking class. At least that's what occurred on the Westerdam last October.

The NA was the second ship to get ATK, after the Westerdam. HAL also had the ATK and Cook's Country TV shows showing on a dedicated TV channel.

It's not necessarily Neptune Suite passengers that are taking the spots, it's 5 star Mariners who get a free cooking class.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear: I recognized that 5 star Mariners were taking up the slots and was asking whether no stars Neptune Suite passengers have a chance.

Truly depends on the number of 5 stars are on the ship and interested in this event. I would think the length of cruise would play a part in it at as well. We enjoy the ATK and look forward to "seeing" it live onboard a ship soon.

I attended one on the Veendam cruise to Bermuda in June. It was SRO. Get there early (20 Minutes at least ) to get an upfront seat , but most of your watching is on the TV monitors from cameras that zoom in on cooking area. The Chef did 3 dishes, she was entertaining and you received 3 hard copies of the recipes st the end,

The recipes were quite simple ( how to emulsify a salad dressing in a blender) as an example with a lecture on real Virgin Olive Oil. I was hoping for some more sophisticated recipes and sauce making.. But it was a entertaining hour. The questions are: Are you Foodies that just love good food or are you into preparing dinner parties for 8 on your 6 burner commercial stove on a regular basis ? Would have loved to see a dish like Paella done from start to finish !

<snip>

Would have loved to see a dish like Paella done from start to finish !

Pretty impossible to make paella from start to finish in one hour ;) Trust me, I know ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Pretty impossible to make paella from start to finish in one hour ;) Trust me, I know ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Yes, you are right, because the prepping of all the ingredients takes an hour, but the cooking can be done in an hour.

On the Veendam, it was not a participatory class, all you could do is ask questions of the Chef.

Are you saying that some HAL ships have been revamped to where there are perhaps a dozen work/cook stations for hands on ???? Tell me more please. How many stations ????

On the Veendam, it was not a participatory class, all you could do is ask questions of the Chef.

Are you saying that some HAL ships have been revamped to where there are perhaps a dozen work/cook stations for hands on ???? Tell me more please. How many stations ????

Under the old format with the "Culinary Arts" there were hands on cooking classes/participation. Lots of fun and the chef cooks the meal you prepared in the Pinnacle Grill. Your lunch there is included in the price of $29. (Unless it has recently changed).

This is NOT advertised. You need to sign up pretty much on embarkation day or they are usually full.

I'm not sure what happened with those that got America's Test Kitchen. But for those that don't have it, like the ATK, there are demonstrations (free) and the hands on cooking class. (Cost).

Under the old format with the "Culinary Arts" there were hands on cooking classes/participation. Lots of fun and the chef cooks the meal you prepared in the Pinnacle Grill. Your lunch there is included in the price of $29. (Unless it has recently changed).

This is NOT advertised. You need to sign up pretty much on embarkation day or they are usually full.

I'm not sure what happened with those that got America's Test Kitchen. But for those that don't have it, like the ATK, there are demonstrations (free) and the hands on cooking class. (Cost).

The Veendam in June still had the "old" culinary arts theatre with one cooking station on stage with no space for multiple cooks. Could anyone explain what the ATK "new hands on" multiple cooking stations look like and where on any HAL ship it is and this talk about availability (5 Stars) first.

So far I only get hearsay.

I have attended land based cooking schools with up to 10 individual cooking stations (cooktops) and can't picture HAL devoting that much physical plant for 2 to 3 classes. Help me picture this !

The Veendam in June still had the "old" culinary arts theatre with one cooking station on stage with no space for multiple cooks. Could anyone explain what the ATK "new hands on" multiple cooking stations look like and where on any HAL ship it is and this talk about availability (5 Stars) first.

I have attended land based cooking schools with up to 10 individual cooking stations (cooktops) and can't picture HAL devoting that much physical plant for 2 to 3 classes. Help me picture this !

There are no individual cooking stations. When I took a class under the old CAC, there were twelve of us in total. We were broken up into groups of 2 or 3 and each group worked on a different course or part of a course. Some were at the cooktop, some were around the rest of the station on the stage. I assume that the ATK classes are run pretty much the same.

I should add that the only physical change that I noticed between the CAC and ATK was the colour scheme; ATK is very red! The cooking station on the stage remained the same.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

On Oosterdam we attended a couple of the demonstrations. Free Never saw any "classes" offered or on the daily schedule. Worked a lot like watching the TV show where the demonstrator prepared a couple items. One session was about Salmon (since we were in Alaska). Intermixed with the live cooking was a video detailing the different types of salmon and their attributes. Living where we do we eat a lot of salmon and pretty much know our way around the fish but still learned a few tips. Second session was about chocolate and making brownies. Both were packed in the morning and when we walked by in the afternoon very lightly attended. When entering don't forget to look for the stacks of recipe sheets and sample of Cooks Illustrated magazine.

My post was not hearsay, it was experience. And honest to try to help.

5 stars are not necessarily first. I couldn't get into it on one cruise ;).

There are no individual cooking stations. When I took a class under the old CAC, there were twelve of us in total. We were broken up into groups of 2 or 3 and each group worked on a different course or part of a course. Some were at the cooktop, some were around the rest of the station on the stage. I assume that the ATK classes are run pretty much the same.

I should add that the only physical change that I noticed between the CAC and ATK was the colour scheme; ATK is very red! The cooking station on the stage remained the same.

I think I understand the format, which appears to have limited participation i.e. you are part of a " TEAM " effort to create a meal, you might chop the onions ????? and you pay a fee for this ????

I think I understand the format, which appears to have limited participation i.e. you are part of a " TEAM " effort to create a meal, you might chop the onions ????? and you pay a fee for this ????

Chef teaches you the proper way to cook whatever is being cooked. Each team prepares one course. No chopping. Everything is pre-chopped to save time.

After the class is over the same menu is then prepared for you by the Chef and served in the Pinnacle Grill (under Culinary Arts concept) with wine.

I've done the class twice now under ATK concept. Frankly, if it wasnt a perk for 5 Star I wouldn't do it.

There is no more lunch included and believe the actual price is now $39.00

On Westy our class was pasta and at the end we had an appetizer sized portion of pasta served to us.

On Veendam we did eggs and had deviled eggs served to us.

You still receive an apron.

On both of these cruises, the host had a list of 5 Star that had to be contacted to see if they were participating

Sent from my iPad using Forums