Pre cruise from Singapore

easy spirit

Doing a cruise to India /Sri Lanka departing Singapore. Will be flying into Singapore & will like to do a pre cruise to somewhere accessible from that airport. Were in that area a couple of years ago for a Vietnam Cruise. Stayed 5nights in Singapore already so that will not be an option again. At that time did Cambodia & Kuala Lumpur as a pre cruise. This time is looking for some place besides Bali, Indonesia. Any recommendations?

Have you looked at Phuket (Thailand) or Langkawi Island (Malaysia?)

I was in Langkawi recently and here are some videos.

Kilim Karst Geoforest Park Part 1

[YOUTUBE]qMLZs4RPtXE[/YOUTUBE]

Kilim Karst Geoforest Park Part 2

[YOUTUBE]g-GBEZQcssE[/YOUTUBE]

Langkawi Sky Cab Part 1

[YOUTUBE]kqG0bJ2fNQU[/YOUTUBE]

Langkawi Sky Cab Part 2

[YOUTUBE]EpuMdSZI3mw[/YOUTUBE]

I have not been to Phuket in recent times but my memory of Phuket was plenty of beaches, island hopping and food.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a wonderful time in Taipei (Taiwan ) and had a wonderful guide Christine Wu who showed us this beautiful place. We went just before Chinese New Year and all the markets and decorations were great. Easy to fly from Singapore to Taipei.

The second place we went before Bali to Osaka cruise was Yogyakarta Indonesia. Very inexpensive and very "foreign" but very much a huge city. The two UNESCO sites Borobudur Temple and Pranbeinan Temple are unique in the world and :p gets you so many points on those travel quizzes on FB. We particularly enjoyed visiting craftsmen who made batik, silver jewelry (so cheap but beautiful!), puppets and marionnets (a special interest of mine) and visiting the Sultan's palace and bath and a cultural show/dance/meal. The price for the best hotel in town was about $80US per night and it was a historic building now called the Phoenix hotel. Should be a direct flight to Singapore but if not lots of direct flights from Jakarta (and the plane tickets cheaper for some reason than they were routed through Japan).

If you fly in through NRT (Tokyo Japan) you could take a layover in Tokyo or take the bullet train down to Kyoto -- spectacular either place. We had a private guide and both men showed us so much the days were packed with wonderful sights and cultural highlights to the sky.

Many direct flights everyday from Singapore to: Hong Kong, Macau, Philippines (several Locations) Malaysia, Myanmar and Thailand.

You may want to look at Bangkok Thailand which is not a cruise port. The Bangkok Cruise port is really about a hour away from Bangkok. Philippines has some get beaches, Macau and Hong Kong both are great and you could do both. High speed water jet between them.

Lots of things to go in this part of the world.

I agree that Bangkok is a wonderful pre-cruise town. If you were to only get one day on an Asian cruise for Bangkok most of your time would be spent going back and forth to cruise port -- about 2 hours (on the day we did it! And the driver claimed it was not more crowded than usual) and could be much much more -- very crowded roads. Short flight to and from Singapore and one of the MOST EXOTIC places I have ever been. Just do it! Fantastic.

Being to most of the suggested places except the Yagkarta, Indonesia & Myanmar. Leaning towards somewhere in Indonesia as will be easy & inexpensive to fly from Singapore. Will have to do a bit of research.... Thanks for all the suggestions