Things to do in Montego Bay, Grand Caymen & Cozumel

MrsAReid

Hello. The DH and I will be sailing on the Breeze on 11/1 so we are trying to figure out what to do. FIRST let me start off by saying I have read as many reviews on here for these particular ports and I still don't know where to do and I didn't find any prices for beaches that were named such as Dr. Cave, Mr. Sanchos and Sunset Beach I believe. If you plan on writing anything negative please don't. Thanks. The only place we have been is Cozumel and we enjoyed Chankanaab Park. Are there any beaches that FREE in Montego Bay,Grand Caymen and Cozumel? If not how much will it be for the other beaches in port?

Jamaica, stay on ship. Yes, I know you said don't say anything negitive, but the quality of that port has decreased drastically in the last ten years. If you want, shop around in the port area for a nice piece of local something, then enjoy the ship. I plan on sending dh to buy me something wooden, he buys more without me! :D And I'll stay on ship. Kid can go with or stay with me.

Grand Caymen, either sting ray turtle and hell, or yes, there is a free beach. BUT please, take the taxi to the free beach. The free beach you can walk to, is all rocks and NOT enjoyable. The free beach you take the taxi to has showers, restrooms, and chairs/toys to rent. They also had two grills selling bbq, decently priced and good. The three of us spilt a plate, it was perfect!' Once in port, the taxi drivers know what to do you and where to take you. Just say you want the free beach. no worries getting back, they'll have cabs lined up to take groups back to the ships.

Cozumel- before kid we snorkled, last few times with kid we shopped, I'm over shopping. I'm staying on ship. Kid already has her charms from those ports, and all the 'free' gifts.

Mr Sancho is $55 for all day adult pass, per Google from Mr. Sancho's. I've seen other excrusions listed for a bit less (likely a group discount).

Hello. The DH and I will be sailing on the Breeze on 11/1 so we are trying to figure out what to do. FIRST let me start off by saying I have read as many reviews on here for these particular ports and I still don't know where to do and I didn't find any prices for beaches that were named such as Dr. Cave, Mr. Sanchos and Sunset Beach I believe. If you plan on writing anything negative please don't. Thanks. The only place we have been is Cozumel and we enjoyed Chankanaab Park. Are there any beaches that FREE in Montego Bay,Grand Caymen and Cozumel? If not how much will it be for the other beaches in port?

We were at Cozumel a year and a half ago, and my DW and I took a "private beach day" excursion through Carnival. It was expensive, but well worth it. Only about 25 people on the bus. When we got to the beach, there were two cooks, a bartender and about 5 wait staff waiting for us. They welcomed us, told us to make ourselves comfortable on one of the cabanas, chairs, lounges or hammocks. And the then beer started flowing! We barely finished one and another showed up. About an hour into our day, they came by to take our lunch order. Hors d'oeuvres and gourmet Mexican dishes!!! Great food, white tablecloth tables on the beach underneath the palm trees while we watched peacocks wander around. Swimming was good. Everything was part of the package. Certainly didn't want it to ever end.

We went to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay in 2013. I booked it through resortforaday DOT com. The price was all-inclusive and also included transportation to and from the port, which I really liked! Many are "all-inclusive" but do not include transportation. Since this one did, we didn't have to be bothered with vendors trying to sell their things like so many other people we spoke to experience.

The cost is $74 per person with a deposit of $34 when you book. It's not a huge beach but they also have a small waterpark, as well as a couple of pools to enjoy.

We enjoyed it so much that we are planning to go again when we cruise in November.

Until right before we cruised, before I found resortforaday, I was beginning to think we would just stay on the ship. I really didn't want to do that because this was my first time to Jamaica and I really wanted to get to experience the country. I'm so glad that I found this site and that I found a resort that was reasonably priced.

Here's a couple of pics from Sunset beach that DH took:

1236181_10153144920420136_408331433_n.jpg?oh=e17cbcc762d1ca4183dec33f90c34fd3&oe=5604B1C6

1237063_10153144892295136_1994416567_n.jpg?oh=1c78f4f3d15d9a3e780abeee893183fe&oe=55FD8261

As for Cozumel, we usually go to Paradise Beach. If I remember correctly, there's no admission charge. I think it's $2 to rent a chair and they ask that you buy something from the restaurant but I've heard many people say that they never bought anything and nothing was ever said.

Here are a few pics that we took at Paradise Beach:

1240538_10153151959750136_827368913_n.jpg?oh=4c9af1423df8260979b2f5fc0d679162&oe=55F458FF

999204_10153151960150136_1630963585_n.jpg?oh=8d95edd7eb802bd819e7293ed365f250&oe=5605F4AB

1235103_10153151967060136_1177067620_n.jpg?oh=ee59839a6c88fa525c1a0c24d3475cce&oe=55FD74CE

I hope this helps!

Edited by Singer4Him

I haven't been to Jamaica for a long time but we are going in October on the Conquest. We are more interested in local culture and scenic areas than just lolling on beaches so we have arranged a private tour(from Ocho Rios) with a local company. There are many companies that do these sorts of trips and they will take you to wherever you'd like to go for the day.

I found a long list on the Jamaica forum of Trip Advisor which is a sister web site to this one for land vacations.

I think on Cozumel we will take one of the ship tours to the local ruins(not the ones on the mainland that take all day) and a beach.

In Grand Cayman I would like to snorkel but I haven't decided where. I will probably do a ship's tour since the rest of my group is not interested and I'll be alone.

When I am in a new port I don't like to stay on the ship. There are plenty of people that go to Jamaica and Cozumel for land vacations and they seem to enjoy those islands so I have decided to enjoy my time in them also!

551552_10152532491681816_5408466274736008945_n.jpg?oh=ce8c92e7910b3a22cf94da98c719af15&oe=56096932

DOLPHIN COVE NEGRIL - 1/2 HOUR FROM MONTEGO BAY

10955640_10152529211031816_7080289476405673440_n.jpg?oh=662166de5426e270234aab19315cfd6c&oe=56045562

ADULT ONLY POOL AT SUNSET BEACH RESORT

We spent one week at Sunset Beach Resort this year instead of taking a cruise and both my wife and I liked it very much. So get off that ship and enjoy yourselves! I highly recommend Sunset Beach Resort if you want to enjoy the beach and pool and have all you can eat food and drinks!

If all else fails, just go to Margaritaville in Montego Bay and enjoy the view and have some food and some beverages!

Edited by esdoorn

We always do all inclusive at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel it is 55 a person and very quiet they only allow 100 people per day. Carlos is always our waiter. Grand cayman we did stingrays thru Acquarius.ky it is 3 1/2 hr tour to stingrays, starfish point where we held starfish and had photos taken, and snorkel coral reef. They are 50 a person and take a lot of photos for you that they upload on website and you get the ones you want. There is not any additional charge for the pics. Then in Montego Bay we did a city tour for 20 per person and ate lunch at the pork pit.

In Grand Cayman, you MUST go stingray swimming with Chip from Stingray Sailing. They are so knowledgable and so kind to these animals.

After what I saw with the other tours out there with us I can't imagine using anyone else. It was the highlight of our trip.

Since this is a Jamaica board, I will answer the Jamaica question you had.

You mention Sunset. While I have not been there, I did do a lot of research on it when I was trying to find a place to visit the last time we were here.

One of the best threads/blog/review I found on the place is HERE by another cruiser. There's tons of pictures so you can get an idea what it's like there.

Another place I would highly suggest (although if cost is a factor, I believe the price of this place has went up since I went) is Hilton Rose Hall. The place is GORGEOUS! They have pools, waterfalls, lazy river, water slides down the hills with lush greenery all around, hot tubs situated back in a grotto. It's an AI, so all the food and drinks you want. It's simply beautiful. I have a complete review of our day there with TONS of pictures within the review as well. It's listed in my signature line.

Both of these places can be booked using Resort for a Day (formally known as Jamaica for a Day). I have used their services twice now and highly recommend them. (We used them for the Sunset Grande located in Ocho Rios and Hilton Rose Hall here in Montego Bay). :)

Hi,

DH and i were also stuck on what to do in Jamaica. We have done all the touristy things, an AI(beautiful resort) at Rose Hall, so now we just want to spend time at a nice beach with facilities.

What i came up with are Burwood Beach(no Charge public beach ~~no facilities) close to our port of Falmouth. Time & Place which has so so reviews and Drs Cave. We're leaning towards Drs.Cave. It's $6 entrance fee. They have a nice restaurant on the beach. I also contacted Jaital for transportation from Falmouth and return trip back to the pier and they quoted me $26pp which includes the entrance fee of $6. Of course transportation will be less expensive since you will already be arriving in Montego Bay.

The beach & water look amazing:)

In Grand Cayman we're heading back to Royal Palms. Our favorite spot. Only $2 to enter the beach of course chairs and umbrellas i believe are about $10 a piece. they have an adult only pool and beautiful restaurant right on the beach.

In Cozumel we're also heading back to Nachi Cocom. Which Mykindaparty explained.

I hope this helps

Liz:)

Edited by knots4crewzing

• 1 month later...
Then in Montego Bay we did a city tour for 20 per person and ate lunch at the pork pit.

who did you do your city tour through? I'm looking for something like this for our group for part of the day and then hopefully dropped at a beach for a couple of hours before heading back to the beach.

People say to stay on board in Jamaica. I took my 1st cruise last week & wasn't sure about Jamaica because of these types of comments. Well, Jamaica turned out to be my favorite port. We went to Dr Caves beach & really liked it. The jerk chicken at the restaurant was my favorite meal of the whole trip. In GC we did the stingray/turtle farm excursion through carnival. In Cozumel we went to Mr Sanchos. My family enjoyed all of these ports. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be doing the same itinerary in September on the Dream. So far this is what we have planned....in Jamaica we will be going to the Hilton Rose Hall with a big group. It looks like a great place and our rate was something like 125.00 USD which includes transfers etc. In Cozumel we will be going to Paradise Beach and we are thinking of trying CarlosnCHarlies (??) on Paradise Beach. It is not an all inclusive but a pay as you go arrangement which suites me just fine. On previous trips to Cozumel we have been to Nachi Cocum and just thought we would try something different. In Grand Cayman I highly recommend Chip who manages Stringray Sailing. We did this trip a few years ago and were pleased with being on a smaller vessel instead of the large Carnival excursion. This trip we are doing an island tour, stop at a distillery and then stopping at the beach. I remember this as being one of the most expensive ports so won't do much shopping here.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Breeze...I have been on the ship twice and loved it!

Deb