Do they sell cigars onboard

firefly333

Been a while since I cruised and I belong to a group and the guys sit out on the patio and smoke cigars. Id like to bring some back.

I know they sell cigarettes, but I cant remember if they sell cigars? Im going to cozumel, roatan and belize. Im guessing if they dont sell them onboard, cozumel is my best bet?

One or more of the bars will also have a humidor with a pretty nice selection. Depends on which ship as to which bars will have stogies. They tend to be rather pricey, though. That's why I always bring cigars with me. Also, be sure to check the details for your ship to find out where you can smoke them. Carnival has really cut back on available places for cigar smokers to enjoy a fine cigar and, sad to say, cigar bars on Carnival ships are virtually non-existent anymore.

I belong to a group and the guys sit out on the patio and smoke cigars. Id like to bring some back.

Also, be sure to check the details for your ship to find out where you can smoke them. Carnival has really cut back on available places for cigar smokers to enjoy a fine cigar

I don't think the OP was planning on smoking the cigars on the ship. She'll be bringing them back from the cruise for friends.

Been a while since I cruised and I belong to a group and the guys sit out on the patio and smoke cigars. Id like to bring some back.

I know they sell cigarettes, but I cant remember if they sell cigars? Im going to cozumel, roatan and belize. Im guessing if they dont sell them onboard, cozumel is my best bet?

The selection is pretty limited in the funshops, I usually bring my own because of that. If your looking to bring some home I would pick them up in port, more selection and probably similar or better price. Enjoy!

Wonder why? Once you have a cuban cannot go back.

The embargo is still firmly inplace. It is still technically illegal to buy Cuban cigars in Mexico. And you cannot legally being them back from Mexico or any other country other than Cuba. If you are legally visiting Cuba, I believe you can bring back 100 cigars.

Wonder why? Once you have a cuban cannot go back.

Just take the labels off....then they're just cigars with no way to know where they came from :)

And yes, may counterfeits.Go to La Casa de Habano, scattered around the carribean, and you will know your getting the real thing...

Thanks though now Im more confused.

Ill be on the Freedom out of Galveston, wondering if there is a limit.

From one of the replies above it sounded like they cost more on the ship than i can buy them at home.

I dont smoke myself, was hoping that the ship sells them for better prices than i can find on the internet and here in Texas.

Ive been in a shop in Cozumel, would they actually have better prices than say i could find on cigarsinternational site online? as low as 1.75 each if you buy a box.

I just wanted to bring the guys back something that was a good buy and a treat. my other ports are roatan, and probably wouldnt leave the port, and belize, and plan on the pharmacy there, but dont remember seeing anything in the port. the city made me nervous the one time i took a cab into town and no deals in belize i saw, maybe roatan but then id have to pay for a cab.

Im traveling solo, the old cruise price X 2 deal, bah humbug. Im going to get at least one bottle of scotch but dont need help there, just didnt know if there was a limit on cigars assuming i could find a deal in cozumel.

its been about 2 years since i cruised, so im completely out of touch, thanks for any additional information or clarification of above

From one of the replies above it sounded like they cost more on the ship than i can buy them at home.

I dont smoke myself, was hoping that the ship sells them for better prices than i can find on the internet and here in Texas.

Ive been in a shop in Cozumel, would they actually have better prices than say i could find on cigarsinternational site online? as low as 1.75 each if you buy a box.

I just wanted to bring the guys back something that was a good buy and a treat. my other ports are roatan, and probably wouldnt leave the port, and belize, and plan on the pharmacy there, but dont remember seeing anything in the port. the city made me nervous the one time i took a cab into town and no deals in belize i saw, maybe roatan but then id have to pay for a cab.

Im traveling solo, the old cruise price X 2 deal, bah humbug. Im going to get at least one bottle of scotch but dont need help there, just didnt know if there was a limit on cigars assuming i could find a deal in cozumel.

its been about 2 years since i cruised, so im completely out of touch, thanks for any additional information or clarification of above

Hey FireFly. I have never found any great cigar deals down there, I usually buy from Cigarsinternational myself and thats usually the best rate. Most of the folks down there are selling to tourists, so they're more likely to jack up the price. If you got way away from the tourist area, maybe you get a better deal, but I dont have any spot to recomend, and might be a shady backalley deal you dont want to have to deal with.

Most folks a searching for Cubans, which is great, but if you want to get the real thing it'll be costly.

Maybe try to find a decent small batch local cigar? Roatan would probably be your best bet for that. Quality...who knows. Sentimental value getting the boys something that they cant find anywhere else? A+(y)

thats aweseome that there is a booth in MahoganyBay that hand makes them. Do you remember about how much they were?

I didnt know you could buy them there.

Im also supposed to bring back some good scoth lol. Not my drink, but they guys like it best, so ill look for something special and cross my fingers.

something hand rolled right there sounds awesome in Mahgany Bay. I will look for him for sure.

Doesnt sound like Im going to find any bargains, if online is cheaper, so something you cant get here sounds like a great option.

firefly-- I am a cigar smoker and I sail from Galveston all the time- answers to your question- yes they sell cigars on board, not Cuban cigars but they do sell them. NO THEY ARE NOT less expensive than you can buy them for at home. There are many online retailers that sell them for half the cost of what the on board shops sell them for. So do not waste your money there. If you want to get them a couple of Cuban cigars AND your ship goes to Cozumel or Grand Cayman, then you can get true Cuban cigars in either of those ports. Grand Cayman - La Casa Del Habano cigar shop in the shopping mall across the street from the tender area. Licensed by Cuba to sell cigars. In Cozumel there is also a La Casa Del Habano. second floor of the building across the street from the ferry terminal downtown. This is the ONLY place in Cozumel where you are going to get a true Cuban cigar. Everyone else will tell you theirs are genuine but they are not selling real Cubans on the street... Either place you can have them give you a zip lock bag for them.. They may also be able to give you a humi-pak (a little pouch that will keep them humidified until you get them back) Better yet, buy the ones in the metal or glass tubes so they don't get crushed in your luggage. They will cost you $15 to $30 a cigar so be prepared for sticker shock. To be honest they are not worth the money. It is the mystic of smoking a Cuban cigar but you really would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Cuban and a Dominican cigar. But people still want them. When you get back to Galveston keep them in your carry on (carry off :-) ) bag. You can bring them into the US now. BUT do not tell the Texas tax person outside of customs that you bought them or you will pay extra tax.

firefly-- I am a cigar smoker and I sail from Galveston all the time- answers to your question- yes they sell cigars on board, not Cuban cigars but they do sell them. NO THEY ARE NOT less expensive than you can buy them for at home. There are many online retailers that sell them for half the cost of what the on board shops sell them for. So do not waste your money there. If you want to get them a couple of Cuban cigars AND your ship goes to Cozumel or Grand Cayman, then you can get true Cuban cigars in either of those ports. Grand Cayman - La Casa Del Habano cigar shop in the shopping mall across the street from the tender area. Licensed by Cuba to sell cigars. In Cozumel there is also a La Casa Del Habano. second floor of the building across the street from the ferry terminal downtown. This is the ONLY place in Cozumel where you are going to get a true Cuban cigar. Everyone else will tell you theirs are genuine but they are not selling real Cubans on the street... Either place you can have them give you a zip lock bag for them.. They may also be able to give you a humi-pak (a little pouch that will keep them humidified until you get them back) Better yet, buy the ones in the metal or glass tubes so they don't get crushed in your luggage. They will cost you $15 to $30 a cigar so be prepared for sticker shock. To be honest they are not worth the money. It is the mystic of smoking a Cuban cigar but you really would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Cuban and a Dominican cigar. But people still want them. When you get back to Galveston keep them in your carry on (carry off :-) ) bag. You can bring them into the US now. BUT do not tell the Texas tax person outside of customs that you bought them or you will pay extra tax.

right on with the cubans. Half the dominicans or cuban seed at this point...

ill be in cozumel, but its a long walk downtown. If the shop near where we dock is selling fake cubans ill pass.

the guy above said he got a guy offsite to roll cigars for $35 for 7. One of the guys just returned from Cancun and got lucky with real cubans a box of 6 he got them down to $26. He wasnt sure until he lite one up it was real, the guys brother in law goes to cuba and gets them.

sounds like if i buy them in Mahagany Bay and get them rolled there, not going to be cheap.

they also gave me a list of the names of good scotchs they like. Ill try the hand rolled ones in Mahagany Bay. I know there is a shop near where the ship docks but like you said sticker shock and probably fake there. $15 and up and probably fake when i priced them a few years back.

If I cant find some decent deals, ill just pick up a few of the hand rolled ones maybe and a good bottle of scotch.

Any other tips appreciated. Its a group from meetup . com and im the only female, but i like to contribute, but cigars and scotch arent really my thing, but i enjoy the talk.