Best time to book a cruise with Cunard

jules57

As I said on a previous thread with a similar subject, the moment I hear someone boasting to all about the low price of their fare, the hot deal they got, how clever they've been... and in a loud voice tell everyone how little money they parted with... my immediate response is to say (in a caring, concerned and deeply worried voice)...

"as much as that?" ;)

Perfect response :D

Edited by cruiseluvva

If the first thing I'm going to learn is how little you have paid I think I would rather decline thank you.

David.

The discussions go where the attendees want them to go and the first place is usually "How to Maximize Onboard Credit". I honestly don't believe that the Brits aren't just as interested in free gratuities, free internet, or free drinks as the Americans.

Another hot topic, which we can't really discuss on Cruise Critic because it involves specific travel agencies, is "How to Get the Best Deal When you Book". Here again, I honestly don't believe that Brits aren't just as interested in getting the best possible deals as Americans.

As, a matter of fact, I am sure of it. Right between the Jubilee and the Olympics we took a cruise out of Southampton where there were almost no other Americans Onboard, due to the very high air fares caused by the Jubilee and Olympics activities. Because there were no Americans booking, the cruise lines were dropping their prices like crazy and all of the local Brits, who didn't have to fly to get to London, were taking advantage of the great deals and they were all as pleased as punch and very excited to talk about it. Of course a lot of them were from the Midlands so there were times we weren't exactly sure what they were saying, but they were definitely have to have saved a bunch of money. :p

I frequently coordinate the Meet & Greets on our cruises and some of the most popular topics of discussion at these meetings are always "How to Find the Best Deals", "When to Book", "How to Maximize OBC" and other money-saving techniques. So, yes, I do frequently discuss money issues with other passengers.

Wonderful ,attend Meet & Greet only to hear that others paid less for this cruise :mad:

We often hear others bragging about what they paid (true, or not ) and

it doesn't make anyone hearing it, enjoy their cruise more .

Cruise booking tips are available all over Cruise Critic before setting foot aboard for those that wish to maximize $$.

This reminds me of a discussion recently about the different styles of Meet and Greets, I've not experienced one of the "fun" type just the low key get togethers, usually over a drink in the Commodore Club.

"Low key" is my preference too. When somebody gets the ship officially involved the time and venue are at the ship's convenience - like 11AM when the featured Insights speaker is likely to give the first lecture. A discussion of deals and OBC versus the Art of Rockefeller Center or Genesis of a Queen? Easy choice for me. But to each his/her own.

Low key is my choice too. I have attended many low key meetsin the Commodore Club, including one attended by the Commodore himself. We just sat in the comfy chairs and had a casual chat with him. Perfect. I have never, nor would ever want to, heard people discussing the price they paid or the perks they got or even how they booked. I hope I never do.

Frankly, I have never and won't join a roll call for the fear of it ending up as a discussion around price, OBC levels and the like, inevitably it would lead to disclosing your cabin grade etc which I also feel is a discussion I want to avoid.

I do read roll calls though and occasionally there is talk of issuing name badges and the like which also strikes fear into my heart, probably irrationally. I would think meeting the commodore informally would be lovely, but having read this thread I will forego that pleasure for the anonymity I treasure and for the avoidance of potential "How much did you pay?" discussions.

No slight however to organisers or attendees intended, just not my thing.

M-AR

P.S. I'm British not a "Brit".

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge
I took out a quote as post is a general comment

Different strokes for different folks, and that is a wonderful thing as it takes all kind to create the rich tapestry of humankind.
I notice from your extensive list of past cruises (including 3 that were cancelled :confused:) that the vast majority of your cruises have NOT been on Cunard ships. Perhaps the clientele on some of the other lines you frequent are more receptive to attending money discussions than those of us who prefer Cunard.

Bob

I notice from your extensive list of past cruises (including 3 that were cancelled :confused:)

Bob

Hey Bob, hadn't noticed that. Does it mean that if I think of booking a cruise that counts to add to my boasting list.

I'm starting to wonder if this is a big wind up.

Regards.

David.

I notice from your extensive list of past cruises (including 3 that were cancelled :confused:) that the vast majority of your cruises have NOT been on Cunard ships. Perhaps the clientele on some of the other lines you frequent are more receptive to attending money discussions than those of us who prefer Cunard.

Bob

Yes, it is true that when we worked our free time was much more limited and it turned out that Princess was the best choice for us for west coast cruising. Once we became Elite on Princess, the benefits were so good that it became hard to look elsewhere. Since we get Carnival Stockholder credit, and two military service credits, as well as all of the very generous Princess perks, we were pretty much hooked.

When we retired, we had much more free time and could spend as much time as we wanted traveling. Once we discovered that we get the same stockholder and military service benefits from Cunard that we get from Princess, coupled with the great dancing opportunities on Cunard, Cunard became our cruise line of choice. We will still, however, sail on Princess because of the many Princess cruisers we have met over the years that invite us to join them on Princess cruises. That is why we are going to Machu Picchu and then sailing from Valparaiso up to Vancouver on the way back.

The Cunard passengers who have attended the Meet & Greets I have organized appear to be every bit as enthusiastic as those on Princes, if not more so. Maybe plain talk and good, humorous, delivery is a welcome change for them. On this last Cunard cruise someone came up to me at least once a day throughout the remainder of the cruise and thanked me for my contributions to the meeting.

We have booked one Celebrity cruise to Antarctica in 2017 just because we got a wonderful, dare I say "price", as well as free gratuities and drinks, but mostly we wanted to go to Antarctica. We will see how that goes.

My cruise list is pretty much for my benefit so I can easily remember where we went and when. We refer to it frequently when we are trying to remember when we, for instance, visited cousins in Croatia. It saves us from lots of arguments. :p:p

I don't see why not, but you must make sure you embellish all the details. :)

Bob

These posts say a whole lot more about you than they do about me.

It would never occur to me in a thousand years that my cruise memory list would be construed as boasting. I wonder why you think that way?

Edited by PunkiC

These posts say a whole lot more about you than they do about me.

It would never occur to me in a thousand years that my cruise memory list would be construed as boasting. I wonder why you think that way?

I am happy that you and your husband enjoy your retirement and travel in good health, and good cheer. But, if you don't mind my saying so, you do a bit over the top with designer labels on your husband's clothes and the size and price paid, first class flying on bonus points, and touching so called "celebrities" -most of which relates to your husband's experience but not your experience. Speaking as a woman long married to the same man, I can appreciate your devotion to your husband being a perfect Armani size, etc, but it does wear thin. I mean, think about it: if the tides were reversed, would a husband post so much detail about his wife's clothes? I think not. - Just my opinion.

I am happy that you and your husband enjoy your retirement and travel in good health, and good cheer. But, if you don't mind my saying so, you do a bit over the top with designer labels on your husband's clothes and the size and price paid, first class flying on bonus points, and touching so called "celebrities" -most of which relates to your husband's experience but not your experience. Speaking as a woman long married to the same man, I can appreciate your devotion to your husband being a perfect Armani size, etc, but it does wear thin. I mean, think about it: if the tides were reversed, would a husband post so much detail about his wife's clothes? I think not. - Just my opinion.

haven't we had enough bi*^ing and scrapping on this board lately with various interlopers and weird postings. Can't we just be nice and respectful to each other please.?

As my mother oft says. "if you can't say anything nice to someone, don't say anything at all.

thankyou.

Can anyone answer the question.when is the best time to book a cruise with Cunard?

I have lost track....

when you find a cruise matched your budget... (hows that?)

I love the saying....a bad day at sea is better than a good day at the office...

Roscoe:D

haven't we had enough bi*^ing and scrapping on this board lately with various interlopers and weird postings. Can't we just be nice and respectful to each other please.?

As my mother oft says. "if you can't say anything nice to someone, don't say anything at all.

thankyou.

Roscoe, you wonderful, handsome man! Everyone here is wonderful! All nice things about everything and everyone...God forbide anyone should say anything that wasn't considered nice (not that you have ever done so!)

All nice wishes! Now, don't say anything if you can't say anything nice!:D

Roscoe, you wonderful, handsome man! Everyone here is wonderful! All nice things about everything and everyone...God forbide anyone should say anything that wasn't considered nice (not that you have ever done so!)

All nice wishes! Now, don't say anything if you can't say anything nice!:D

:D silence :D

Can anyone answer the question.when is the best time to book a cruise with Cunard?

I have lost track....

Hi Jane. I think your question has been replied to several times earlier on this thread. Where you not happy with the responses, or do you have a more specific question? Wonderful question, very nicely asked, I might add. I completely understand why you did not thank anyone for their responses to your question - I'm sure you were being very respectful.

All in compliance with Roscoe's request. -S.

Edited by Salacia

We book as soon as we find an interesting cruise at a great price. We have one Celebrity cruise for 2017 booked (with free gratuities, drinks and OBC) and it was about half of what they are asking for the identical cruise in 2016. Go figure.

Our recent South Pacific cruise on the Queen Victoria was only booked about a month out and we paid a lot less than anyone else to whom we spoke and less than half of what the same cruise is selling for now.

I honestly don't think you can predict. You just have to keep your eyes open and jump on the good prices when you see them.

This was my original response to the original question and I still think it was a pretty good one, and unfortunately, that was the post that prompted all of the brouhaha.

If, however, one is British and doesn't think about, care about, or speak of price, my response to you would simply be, that the best time to book is when you see a cruise that is going someplace you want to go at a time you can get away.

So, Salacia, I guess that means you don't to hear my rant of the day. Did you know that British Air charges a hefty fee to make seat assignments in business class, in addition to their outrages taxes on award tickets? I wouldn't have thought it possible, but as of today I hate British Air even more than I did yesterday. However, as the Alaska Air mileage agent said, "Have hope. The flight is seven months away and there is always a chance Emirates seats will open up". :p

Edited by PunkiC

... Meet and Greets cover a wide range of topics. When I organize them ... we all introduce ourselves and indicate our home town and then open it up for general discussion. That discussion runs to whatever interests the attendees and that is invariably how to save money or get more OBC ...
Hi PunkiC

I think I can see the issue here, and why there is confusion.

What some of us are talking about are "Meet and Greet" informal gatherings held (usually) in the Commodore Club after lunch on the first day at sea. These are not usually "organised" (except that the time and venue is notified on roll calls). An alternative title is "Meet & Mingle" as that is what people do. People can order a drink (soft or otherwise) and meet old friends, greet new acquaintances, be introduced to someone they've been wanting to meet for a long time (my favourite bit). People arrive gradually over quarter-of-an-hour or so of the advertised time, and then leave (typically these gatherings last an hour) when it suits them, to go onto must-not-miss concerts, groups, film shows or other things they've spotted in the DP. Or just because they've spoken to everyone they wanted to meet. Sometimes two or three people/couples will stay for a long time after everyone else has left, happy to carry on just chatting.

I seems to me, if I may say, that what you're describing (and clearly love, as it brings back happy memories of your time at work) sounds, to me, more like a hotel convention, a time-share "sales pitch", or a lecture better held in the theatre (I am tempted to ask if yours are accompanied by power-point presentations, graph projections, and a "little test" at the end (to see if people have been paying attention))?

I've been involved in various committees over the years, and we would have really valued your organisational skills and help with discussions.

... The Cunard ones are usually just an informal gathering, I've been to them on HAL and Azamara ... but they were a rather different sort of event ...
I'm sure you're correct hattie the cattie, I believe we're talking about two different type of gatherings, one casual, one structured.
Actually I was describing the type of Meet & Greets that I have organized most recently on Cunard, both the QE and QV, but, yes, I have also organized them on Princess. Of course, not every organizer ... (is) ... capable of coordinating a meeting that encourages lots of passenger input, or making it a lot of fun to share ideas publicly. I, however, had done a great deal of public speaking on the national level during my working years, and really enjoy encouraging audience participation ...

I think, if I may say, that you've hit the nail on the head with the two lines I've highlighted. You are just a passenger alongside your fellow passengers and, unlike in your working years, you are not there to do "public speaking", nor have you an "audience", much as you may wish you still had one, they are passengers, not attendees at a sales convention in a chain hotel.

... On Cunard we get coffee, tea, cookies and donuts ...
Which tells me that you've been given the enclosed meeting rooms in the computer centre, rather than the room-with-a-view (and a bar) aka the Commodore Club. Pity.
Try a Meet & Greet. You might even like it.
As may you, if you are ever tempted to attend one.
I have attended many Meet and Greets on various ships, and various cruiselines in 30+ cruises and I have to say I have never, ever heard anyone ask how much anyone paid, nor how much OBC they had
Nor me.
It would never occur to me to ask someone, and I certainly wouldn't disclose it if asked myself.
Couldn't agree more.
Wonderful ,attend Meet & Greet only to hear that others paid less for this cruise
Quite!
"Low key" is my preference too. When somebody gets the ship officially involved the time and venue are at the ship's convenience - like 11AM when the featured Insights speaker is likely to give the first lecture. A discussion of deals and OBC versus the Art of Rockefeller Center or Genesis of a Queen? Easy choice for me ...
Listen to Stephen Payne talk on his QM2, or attend a lecture where a lot of people vie with each other to report how little they paid (truthfully or otherwise)... um let me think...
... I do read roll calls though and occasionally there is talk of issuing name badges and the like which also strikes fear into my heart ... having read this thread I will forego that pleasure for the anonymity I treasure and for the avoidance of potential "How much did you pay?" discussions. ...
Well said. I did attend one "M&G" a long time ago (not on a ship) where a "super-organiser" had written out sticky name tags... which we were told to stick on our chests. As a man I could not bring myself to try to read the badly written/small badges stuck to the chests of the female attendees for fear of provoking the "I'm up here" response :o :o :o

I think that there is a world of a difference between an informal "Meet and Greet" gathering... and a formal meeting of people, organised by one of the passengers, to give tips and advice about how to pay less next time (with examples given by the organiser about the price of their own current fare so people can go "wow"). I'm sure they have their place, and the person giving the lecture, and the "audience" enjoy attending. But such a group is not, in my opinion, a "meet and greet". But there is room for both.

Best wishes to all :)

Edited by pepperrn

Well not quite, pepprrn.

At the Meet & Greets I organize, I do less talking myself and more encouraging others to share their ideas, ask their questions, and answer others questions. They are nothing like the lectures I gave in my professional life. That would take way too much work on my part. ;)

Although I have cruised a fair amount, I am certainly not an expert and don't have all the answers. I go to the Meet & Greets to learn more than to share my own experiences. It was, however, very sad to learn in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean that we could have received $250 each in military credit on our cruise had we known to apply. Since then, that gem of information has earned us about $8,000 in OBC, which I think is terrific, even though some may think it is vulgar to share that information.

The meetings I have organized on Cunard have been held either in The Queen's Room or the Winter Garden and both have decent views.

I would agree with others who say book the cruise when you see it at a price you can afford, and don't look back.

I have been planning a cruise, sharing with a friend. I saw it at a price I could just afford on Monday (2 days ago). However, the room rate was three times what I paid for the equivalent last year on a special single rate so I hesitated. Today I looked and the saver fare is no longer there. Balconies are almost booked out, when they showed a lot of availability on Monday.

What I would say from this is that the experience from these pages of what has happened in previous years, may not happen this year or next year. I think the recession is easing in the UK and the late deals here may not be around in the same way. Book when you are happy and don't worry about cheaper deals that others may get later. After all, the others may end up missing out on a holiday of a lifetime.

I did attend one "M&G" a long time ago (not on a ship) where a "super-organiser" had written out sticky name tags... which we were told to stick on our chests. As a man I could not bring myself to try to read the badly written/small badges stuck to the chests of the female attendees for fear of provoking the "I'm up here" response :o :o :o )

I prefer the "cheap" stickies. There is nothing sadder than pulling off that name tag and seeing how much of my expensive sweater is attached to it. :)