MDR at lunch

ETski

Just wondering about lunch in the MDR. Is this only on sea days? Does anyone know or have a copy of a typical menu. I find it very relaxing eating in the MDR. Doing a cruise where we have 4 sea days in a row. So we have all the time in the world.:)

You're trying to overplan your cruise. Why not go to the dining room one day at lunch and look at the menu (before you sit down..it will be posted)....decide if that day's menu appeals to you. With four sea days, think of it as an activity :)

Go to the MDR for lunch as much as you want. There is a great made to order salad bar as well as plated dishes to order from the menu. Meet new people as you are seated first come first seated. Lovely peaceful setting with delicious food. I can't be positive but I do vaguely remember it being open only on sea days but we like port intensive cruises so we may have been on land during the MDR lunch hours on port days. I don't agree that you are "over-planning" your vacation. Anticipation of enjoyable activities is a great part of pre-cruise excitement for me!:)

We enjoy the MDR for lunch as well....much quieter pace than the buffet and we like being served. The MDR is only open for lunch on Sea Days and is closed on port days. You can be seated at a table for 2, or at a larger table to meet others. The menu has different items than the dinner menu. You could always try it once or twice. Another good sit down option with table service is Bistro on Five..service is usually slow but the food is good and plentiful although there is a $7 per person charge there.

Enjoy your cruise and exploring the ship on your sea days!

Cathy

DANG I'm a cruise short of Elite Plus (that's like being a bulb short of a chandelier or a sandwich short of a picnic) and I usually eat in the MDR for lunch and I didn't know there was a made to order salad bar. I know the Tutti Salad Bar on RCI. And I was on the Summit earlier this month and somehow it escaped my notice.

I can't post menus, but can say there's always a daily soup, specialty salad in addition to the made to order salad, and a hamburger is always on the MDR lunch menu. Of course along with lots and lots of other options! I also love planning and anticipating my upcoming vacations- enjoy!

This page by cruisingwithgambee has menu photos.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/celebrity-menu/

If you scroll down there is a two page menu that is labelled by Gambee as a dinner menu but I believe its a lunch menu. Im also interested in the salad bar mentioned above. It isnt shown on this menu but I really like the lunch salad on RCI so hope to find a similar one next week on Eclipse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we had lunch in the MDR twice on the Summit and there was no made to order salad bar.

Honestly, the meals were hit and miss for lunch (supper was consistently good). One day my dad ordered a steak that was good and my mother the cobb salad which was nice; my turkey with risotto was too salty to eat; they didn't have the sorbet listed on the menu and service was super slow (took us over an hour and a half for lunch).

Another day, both my mother and I ordered the panini of the day (which was tuna) and they were both terrible. The bread was too hard to bite through and the top and bottom were two different sizes (a 1 inch piece of bread on the bottom and a 3 inch piece of bread on top). There was hardly any filling. My dad ordered the fried chicken and he enjoyed that. Dessert was the key lime pie which was very bland - no tartness at all, it was just sugar - I'm not even sure they used lime juice. :confused:

DANG I'm a cruise short of Elite Plus (that's like being a bulb short of a chandelier or a sandwich short of a picnic) and I usually eat in the MDR for lunch and I didn't know there was a made to order salad bar. I know the Tutti Salad Bar on RCI. And I was on the Summit earlier this month and somehow it escaped my notice.

The aqua spa cafe is essentially now a made to order salad bar.

I don't believe Elite plus will change any of your dining options at all other than getting free specialty coffees ?????

We've eaten quite a few lunches in the MDR and also can't recall ever seeing a salad bar in there. I'm thinking that what the OP is referring to might be a menu salad with options like they do for the omelettes at breakfast. You can pick and choose from listed items as to what goes in your 'custom' salad. Could that be it?

Last cruise we did, on the Silhouette, liver was listed on the lunch menu....I love liver when it's done right and decided to try it, figuring I could always send it back and order something else if necessary but it came out perfectly...so tender and tasty I almost wanted to order a second piece if I hadn't already been so full!

I just didn't have the time to eat in either the MDR or at the burger bar for lunch. Too busy stuffing my face in the buffet. Every lunchtime I had a salad and a baked potato. And a biscuit often fell onto my plate too! (Not same plate!)

Too full for afternoon tea also.

Next cruise I will be organised:D

Aqua class but not sure I will like Blu. I like a little spoonfull of this and a taste of that and suddenly I need two strong men to carry the plate to the table.:eek:

The aqua spa cafe is essentially now a made to order salad bar.

I don't believe Elite plus will change any of your dining options at all other than getting free specialty coffees ?????

I think a couple of us mentioned Elite+ as way of saying we've been on quite a few Celebrity cruises and never noticed a salad bar int he MDR... not saying it isn't there -- we've just never seen it. I think it may have been another line. :)

I think a couple of us mentioned Elite+ as way of saying we've been on quite a few Celebrity cruises and never noticed a salad bar int he MDR... not saying it isn't there -- we've just never seen it. I think it may have been another line. :)

There is not a free standing salad bar to my knowledge, either, but you can request a made to order salad from the wait staff, and we have done so (DH has lots of eating restrictions and the salad of the day often is not appropriate for his needs).

Dang I must have gotten the two cruise lines confused:o Sorry!

Well, maybe Celebrity will see this thread and start one...we enjoyed it on Royal. They also have a quick serve menu (best as I recall) .

Regular lunch service on X is drawn out , esp if you are at a shared large tbl.,,..everyone has to be seated before orders are taken and then are served in course order even if not everyone orders the same courses,,, etc...

They also tend to crowd everyone in same area...but they do have some nice choices if you are not in a rush! Nice to sit and be served but I'd rec tbl for two or four if you have buddies!

Edited by hcat

I too like eating lunch in the MDR. But I didn't think the Tutti salad was all that on Allure last I sailed on her. Everyone was raving about the shrimp. Well it was the same small bay shrimp they had in the Cafe in Central park and you could have that any time pretty much! They just had more options for the Tutti, like sliced tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, more dressings, etc.

Salad bar or made to order would be a nice option, but we seldom eat lunch on board ship. I like a big breakfast and then dinner is always a lot of food. If I went to lunch, I would feel like I was eating all the time, which I would be. I just go to the buffet and have a bite of something if I am hungry. Now, I might try the Aqua Spa café if they have salads.

They also tend to crowd everyone in same area...

D'ya know hats the main issue we had with breakfast in the MDR. Everyone is crushed into the same area packing all the tables full. Then a mixture of waiters descend. It isnt relaxing at all.

D'ya know hats the main issue we had with breakfast in the MDR. Everyone is crushed into the same area packing all the tables full. Then a mixture of waiters descend. It isnt relaxing at all.

We wound up good friends with a couple in line behind us in line for lunch. It added greatly to our enjoyment of the cruise. It was on the Mercury -- (best ship ever!) :)