Gay couple at captain's table

squidward

We've never been invited to the captain's table. On the second formal night of our cruise on HAL's Veendam this year, the ship's doctor and his wife joined us and our tablemates. They said that the ship's hostess tries to fit them and other officers in where there is space available on the formal nights. We had a table for six but just four of us assigned to it. They bought the wine for the table, but the menu was the same as all the other tables.

Got an invite on Celebrity Infinity to Bermuda this year. Was a little nervous but ended up having an wonderful evening. Hosts were gracious and after the first couple minutes wine and conversation flowed!

Was grateful for the Celebrity Captains Club Hostess TiAnn for thinking of us.

We were invited to the captain's table on RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas 12/31/11-1/7/12. The invite was for Wed. 1/4/12 and included a reception in the Champagne Bar prior to dinner. We had sent the captain a vintage 24 page brochure for a 54 day Mediterranean cruise in the early 1950's that we had found in an antique shop for $20 a few months before our sailing. I thought it would be fun to get it for the captain as a Happy New Year's gift. It turned out that the captain was a cruise ship history buff and had heard alot about the ship in the brochure but had not seen any paper items about that ship. I honestly had no ulterior motives when we bought it.

At the table (this was the only night that the captain dined at the Captain's table) we discovered that all the couples had 30+ cruises under their belt. We could only assume that our gift had been the reason we had been invited. This was our first cruise.

At dinner that night the captain invited all of us to tour the bridge on Friday afternoon before we arrived in Baltimore Saturday morning at 7 am. The best gift we ever gave. The captain and all the other (straight) couples were very welcoming and made us feel relaxed. It was obvious were were cruising newbies and nervous. One couple had just had their 24 year old son come out to them and wanted advice on how to handle things even though they were already very accepting of him. Great experience! Now we are saving up money to go on cruise #2!

Edited by unisphere-roy

unisphere-roy, what a great story! I wish we'd been invited. On our most recent cruise, we brought along our tuxes, and had a picture taken on the first formal night with the captain. We had explained we were on our honeymoon, and were kind of hoping that might get us an invite. I'm just pleased to hear that sometimes they do invite same-sex couples at all.

My partner and I have been invited to sit at the Captains table several times on Seabourn. Once I was seated to his right and was asked to taste the wine for the table... I sent it back!! :)

At the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party onboard the Radisson Seven Seas Voyager we spoke to Captain Dag whom we had met on the Song of Flower. He's a great guy. A few days later we were having a drink and Captain Dag passed by, stopped to chat and accepted our invitation to have a drink with us. Then the three of us sat down to a wonderful dinner, during which he invited us to join him at his table for the next formal night. While cruising on the Seabourn Quest in August 2013 we were invited to dine with Captain Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen, but unlike Host Dan, I was not asked to taste the wine! Two examples of lines that are "family" friendly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...