How to make special arrangements when I didn't make the booking

wdn

Hello. I am going on my first cruise next year as part of a family celebration.

I need to make some special requests for members of my household with regards to health/disability issues. (nothing extraordinary. Just Norwegian's standard accommodations for people with these conditions)

The person arranging the celebration has make the booking through a travel agent.

I know our cruise and our room number but don't currently have a reservation number or anything like that. Can I call Norwegian and make arrangements directly, or do I need to go through the person who made the booking and/or the travel agent? If I can call directly, what identifying information do I need?

I need to make some special requests for members of my household with regards to health/disability issues. (nothing extraordinary. Just Norwegian's standard accommodations for people with these conditions)

The person arranging the celebration has make the booking through a travel agent.

I know our cruise and our room number but don't currently have a reservation number or anything like that. Can I call Norwegian and make arrangements directly, or do I need to go through the person who made the booking and/or the travel agent? If I can call directly, what identifying information do I need?

Guests needing special accomodations are required to register in advance of the cruise through NCL's Access Desk.

You can find the relevent information here: http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Since a TA was used you need to go through your TA for everything. They now own that booking and NCL will not speak with you, they will tell you to call your TA.

That is not correct. Accessibility assistance can be arranged by the guest directly with NCL, even if a TA made the initial booking.

That is not correct. Accessibility assistance can be arranged by the guest directly with NCL, even if a TA made the initial booking.

+1

No problems dealing with Special Needs Desk directly even when the reservation was made through a TA.

About two PRIOR to your cruise contact the Access Desk. They will need: (1) name of ship, (2) exact date of the cruise, (3) your name, (4) reservation and latitude if you have one, (5) your cabin number and (6) the nature of your request.

I do this with every cruise. My cruises are always booked through my travel agent and I handle the request to the Access Desk myself. You will receive a letter in your cabin with a name and a number of who to contact on board ship if you have problem.

Have a great cruise.

The Access Desk people will send you (ours was by email) a form to fill out.

This is one area where they are *not* likely to want to make it difficult for the passenger involved to communicate clearly what is needed.

There are categories for special diets, mobility needs, allergies, etc.

They can help refer the passenger to a company to rent wheelchairs or scooters to use onboard during the cruise, for example.

They ask if the passenger will be bringing any sharps onboard, or medications.

(I interpret this to mean something "special", such as injectable insulin, not aspirin or cold meds - and passengers without special needs wouldn't even get asked about any meds at all, as they wouldn't get this form in the first place.)

And then there is a place for "anything else" that you might need assistance with.

If it is dietary, you'll ALSO need to see someone once you are onboard, so they can make sure it is properly understood and communicated to food prep and servers. You'd need to give them good advance notice for anything requiring special prep (such as gluten free, or allergies).

Once the completed form is received by them, someone might contact the passenger for additional information/clarification.

NOTE: If you are using any "special" medications, make SURE that there will not be any problems at various ports of call in other countries.

What they "allow" might be very different from what is allowed in one's home country. This would mostly involve medications that you need to carry with you, and not so much what you can leave behind in the cabin safe (or fridge).

Having a letter from a physician is advisable.

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple