staying close to termini

Storm cruiser

Any recommendations where to stay near the termini. Need to get the train in the morning for the airport

There are a ton of hotels near Termini that I'm currently researching as well. We are coming in from Venice early evening and have a 6am! flight the next morning. Just need a hotel for one night and don't want to lug the suitcases far. Looking at hotels within just a block or two of Termini...lots of choices out there. Look at a map version of trip advisor and go from there.

Any recommendations where to stay near the termini. Need to get the train in the morning for the airport

We always stay, and I always recommend, Hotel Quirinale on Via ****onale. venere.com or octopus travel.com---one of those. AND, you get breakfast as well....Nice European hotel, a/c, good concierge, nice beds and bathrooms....

I have booked UNA Hotel (very close to Termini) for an upcoming one-night stay where it makes the most sense -- for a couple of reasons -- to be in this location. I can't necessarily recommend it, not having stayed there yet, but I did wade through a lot of hotels before deciding on this one.

I am curious as to why some posters here wouldn't stay someplace like the Hilton by the airport. You could always enjoy your last minutes in Rome and then head to the airport hotel the night before your flight.

IME, places with free breakfasts rarely start serving them before 6:00 a.m.

I am curious as to why some posters here wouldn't stay someplace like the Hilton by the airport. You could always enjoy your last minutes in Rome and then head to the airport hotel the night before your flight.

In our case, we're getting off a train from Florence early that last evening (about 6:30) and want to dump our luggage in a room near the train, head out to final dinner, then get to bed before that 6am flight.

Otherwise, I'd have to spend precious last night in Rome time storing the luggage somewhere, going back and retrieving that luggage, etc. Saves me a bit of time (and money) that last night in Rome.

I'm open for other suggestions though. Wishing I had a bit of a later flight but that is how it worked out.

It's complicated. I'm arriving Rome a day before a specialized tour that I'm taking begins. The logistics of how to get into Rome quickly, do something that afternoon and morning the next day before meeting up with the tour the next afternoon dictate that Termini is the easiest location.

At any rate, I am not fond of airport hotels (and I love being in Rome).

Edited by cruisemom42

OP: did you check the train schedule from Termini to FCO? I just did a quick check and found that 1) the earliest train is at 5:35am and gets to FCO at 6:07am. There is one earlier, but it is a regional and has a change of train and gets to FCO only 15 minutes earlier.

Does your flight really leave at 6am? If yes, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to take the train. AND, the last train at night is 10:35pm and arrives at FCO at 11:07pm. You may have to rethink your staying in Rome and get that airport hotel…

OP: did you check the train schedule from Termini to FCO? I just did a quick check and found that 1) the earliest train is at 5:35am and gets to FCO at 6:07am. There is one earlier, but it is a regional and has a change of train and gets to FCO only 15 minutes earlier.

Does your flight really leave at 6am? If yes, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to take the train. AND, the last train at night is 10:35pm and arrives at FCO at 11:07pm. You may have to rethink your staying in Rome and get that airport hotel…

I think you're confusing me and the OP. Not sure when the OP's morning flight is.

Looking into Hotel Genova about two blocks from train station; prices look good. Know nothing about the area though...

Mickeysgal - I did mean you. You will have issues with the train. Not early enough for you for a 6am flight. Either taxi/car service from Rome that time of day, as far as I could see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. Unless the schedule has changed since I was there last year, I don't think there are any trains from Termini that will get you to the airport for a 6 AM departure. As I recall, the last train left around 10:30 PM and there was nothing until about 5:30 the next morning. If it were me, I'd just have one final night in Rome, then take the last train out and hang out at the airport until boarding for my 6 AM departure. A hotel anywhere before a flight that early just seems like a waste of time and money.

Edited by Langoustine

Mickeysgal - I did mean you. You will have issues with the train. Not early enough for you for a 6am flight. Either taxi/car service from Rome that time of day, as far as I could see.

Yep...we are booking with romecabs to get us to the airport.

Just staying near the train station that last night to be able to quickly drop our luggage from coming in from Venice/Florence that day, and get to that dinner the last night in Rome.

Edited by mickeysgal

I was thinking the same thing. Unless the schedule has changed since I was there last year, I don't think there are any trains from Termini that will get you to the airport for a 6 AM departure. As I recall, the last train left around 10:30 PM and there was nothing until about 5:30 the next morning. If it were me, I'd just have one final night in Rome, then take the last train out and hang out at the airport until boarding for my 6 AM departure. A hotel anywhere before a flight that early just seems like a waste of time and money.

You know, we thought of that too.

To clarify...we are coming in from Venice/Florence earlier that day...arriving into Rome about 6:30pm. The current thought is to get off the train, drop the luggage a hotel, go out to dinner, go to hotel to get some sleep, get a car service to the airport.

So...how comfy are the chairs at the airport? It does seem like a waste to book a hotel for only a few hours use, but not sure what else to do under the circumstances.

We stayed here while traveling the same route to Rome by train. (Met Rick Steves in the elevater, BTW.) It's a newer and nice hotel across the street from the opera house, around the corner from Termini, and just a block from a good restaurant. (Can't recall the name, but it was directly across from the opera house on the other side.)

We stayed here while traveling the same route to Rome by train. (Met Rick Steves in the elevater, BTW.) It's a newer and nice hotel across the street from the opera house, around the corner from Termini, and just a block from a good restaurant. (Can't recall the name, but it was directly across from the opera house on the other side.)

Now that must have been fun!

When you walked by those hotels, is there much in the way of restaurants close to the Exedra?

There are plenty of restaurants all around that area of Termini. Not all of them are very inspired. You should just plan to stroll and look at menus until you see one that looks good to you.

Reviews for the Exedra never seem to be quite as good as they should be for their prices.

We (6 of us) have stayed at Hotel Quirinale the last 2 times in Rome. It is an older elegant hotel with a great outdoor garden area where you can enjoy dinner or just a drink. It is about 2 blocks from Termini and there are some great rest. within walking distance.Their breakfast buffet is also great. If we ever get back to Rome this is the place we would definitely stay!

Yeah, I just mentioned them as options if someone wants an upscale chain. If nothing else, the St. Regis had a mean Bloody Mary!! The dearth of decent restaurants is also apparent by the hotel I stayed at, the Westin. But, I had plans already and didn't find it a hard thing to walk from there to the Pantheon area and Campo di Fiore neighborhoods. Termini is actually not far from the Westin, about a half mile at most.

Thanks for the info. We are staying at the Excedra and not seeing much in the review boards about restaurants a short stroll from there. We will not be eating at the hotel as we are looking for nice reasonable priced local cafes. We want someplace the first night that is within a 10 minute walk as we will be really tired and not wanting to go too far. The rest of the time no issue with going farther just know the first night want to stick close to the hotel.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Hard Rock is probably no more than a 10 minute walk, straight up the street to Piazza Barberini.

Outside of that, I can't help. Even Yelp didn't help. You can always eat at one of the places in the Termini...

Edited by slidergirl

Really, there's no need to resort to the Hard Rock Cafe or eating in Termini. There are a lot of small places in the vicinity. As I said, nothing distinctive but perfectly adequate. You should be able to find something in a 10-15 minute radius.

Really, there's no need to resort to the Hard Rock Cafe or eating in Termini. There are a lot of small places in the vicinity. As I said, nothing distinctive but perfectly adequate. You should be able to find something in a 10-15 minute radius.

Do you have any suggestions? Even if just a metro stop or two away is fine...