Tahitian Inn Tampa

24fan

Wow, I didn't realize this motel was still around! Actually, I am wondering if it's the same one I remember (used to live in Tampa back in the late 60's-early 80's). The one I recall was on Dale Mabry Hwy., not too far south of I-75. It USED to be a fairly nice large motel, w/a definite "South Pacific" decor (on the outside, at least), nice tropical pool area, etc. The port isn't over about 15 min. from there for someone who is familiar w/how to get there, but it's not an area too many cruisers would seek out. Mosts tourists like staying near the port (in downtown), or at one of the motel/hotels by the water along the causeway (Courtney Campbell Causeway which runs between Tampa and Clearwater and isn't far from the airport), or maybe the hotels by Westshore Blvd. close to the airport. Many also stay near Busch Gardens and the nearby Univ. of So. FL in northeast Tampa. Dale Mabry USED to be THE motel area of town but once motels began popping up near Busch Gardens in the late 60s, Dale Mabry lost that title. Try looking at reviews on sites likeTripadvisor.com.

Don't know if this helps much, but hope it gives you some direction.

Hi 24Fan.

Not sure when you are cruising, but I am staying at the Tahitian this Friday. I will write a review upon return, 1/27 or so.

I booked it pre-cruise for its decent reviews, free shuttle to/from port and airport, and it looked nice. We will see. My first time to Tampa so not really sure what to expect. Will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our cruise. So here is the Tahitian Inn review.

Positives=

+ Room was large and clean

+ Pool was nice

+ Staff very friendly and accomodating

+ Restaurant on site with specials (though a little pricey, but good)

+ Happy hour bar specials

+ A few restaurants within walking distance and convienent store

+ Shuttle to cruise ship was great (only couple on van at 10:00a.m.)

Negatives=

- Thin walls

- No shuttle to surrounding shops anymore (conflicted with airport and cruise ship shuttle runs)

- Had some drunks have their car alarm going off at 3 a.m. for a few minutes, with yelling.

Overall=

For being on a main drag you would never know it once you get into the hotel. Pool area was in the back and our room was also. The price was decent especially if you utilies the airport /port shuttle (we had transportation from airport) and they will take you to airport after the cruise also, but we had a car afterwards. I'm guessing if you stay at some of the more "popular" pre-cruise hotels you are going to be fighting other cruisers for transportation, IDK.

I guess I would give the Tahitian Inn a B-. It served the purpose of a decent place to stay pre-cruise.

Hope this helps 24fan, and others. Enjoy your cruises... I did! :):):)

Just back from our cruise. So here is the Tahitian Inn review.

Positives=

+ Room was large and clean

+ Pool was nice

+ Staff very friendly and accomodating

+ Restaurant on site with specials (though a little pricey, but good)

+ Happy hour bar specials

+ A few restaurants within walking distance and convienent store

+ Shuttle to cruise ship was great (only couple on van at 10:00a.m.)

Negatives=

- Thin walls

- No shuttle to surrounding shops anymore (conflicted with airport and cruise ship shuttle runs)

- Had some drunks have their car alarm going off at 3 a.m. for a few minutes, with yelling.

Overall=

For being on a main drag you would never know it once you get into the hotel. Pool area was in the back and our room was also. The price was decent especially if you utilies the airport /port shuttle (we had transportation from airport) and they will take you to airport after the cruise also, but we had a car afterwards. I'm guessing if you stay at some of the more "popular" pre-cruise hotels you are going to be fighting other cruisers for transportation, IDK.

I guess I would give the Tahitian Inn a B-. It served the purpose of a decent place to stay pre-cruise.

Hope this helps 24fan, and others. Enjoy your cruises... I did! :):):)

Hiya Cruiserboozer,

My sister and I are cruising in September and have thought about this hotel but my sister has read some reviews regarding the beds being hard and not comfortable, thin walls so therefore she is second thinking the idea so could you please let me know if you thought the beds were that bad or could she be reading some bad reviews...Thanks for your input...BTW how was your cruise? good I hope..this is our first time out of Tampa and on the Legend..

Kathy

Thanks for the detailed review; right now, we are booked @ the Hampton Inn Rocky Point cruise package---we were debating between the Tahitian Inn/HIRP--but, decided on the later. Hope your cruise was great--we dont' cruise until the end of March--but, want to go ahead and get pre/post cruise things taken care of--again, thank YOU.

Hi Katkamm1.

The walls were definetley thin . The bed was comfy though. This was my 1st cruise out of Tampa also, so I was going in blind too. The Tahitian does have some good and bad reviews, and to be honest, I was going to stay at the Rocky Point HI but it was booked. The Tahitian did serve the purpose for us and was decent. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Our cruise to Mexico on the Jewel of the Sea was great! If you are going to Cozumel try the Bar Hop Tour. If you are going to Costa Maya try the Tropicante. Both were nice excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Katkamm1.

The walls were definetley thin . The bed was comfy though. This was my 1st cruise out of Tampa also, so I was going in blind too. The Tahitian does have some good and bad reviews, and to be honest, I was going to stay at the Rocky Point HI but it was booked. The Tahitian did serve the purpose for us and was decent. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Our cruise to Mexico on the Jewel of the Sea was great! If you are going to Cozumel try the Bar Hop Tour. If you are going to Costa Maya try the Tropicante. Both were nice excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks Cruiserboozer thats very helpful. We just need somewhere to lay our heads after a 10 hr drive lol. We are going to Cozumel and will check into the Bar Hop Tour. We have been to Costa Maya and we did try Tropicante and enjoyed it. Glad you had a good time. We are going on Carnival Legend. Thanks again for the input on the Tahitian Inn.

Kathy

Really enjoyed the hotel, there are so many restaurants close by. The walls are so thin that we could hear a phone ringing from the room next to us. Other than that the staff is fantastic, so welcoming and friendly. We got on the early shuttle and we asked the driver what time is pick up after the cruise. He said to call the hotel if we got off early as we had to get home as soon as possible. We were off the ship at 8:30 called and they came and got us right away. We were so impressed after the 1st stay we went back again. This time we had a 3rd person with us and walked in the room and there was 1 bed. We went down to the front desk and asked for a roll away. They actually moved us to a little mini suite for our trouble. That was really nice and had a little balcony overlooking the pool. In the morning there is a Starbucks 2 blocks away. We would stay here whenever we cruise out of Tampa and recommend it highly.

Most of the year they have $99 specials for the room and round trip transfers to the pier, and parking is included for the 7 nights.

I'm enjoying all the comments on the Tahitian - it's on our short list for next January. We're also looking a the Rocky Point hotels, but their packages with transportation are quite a bit higher priced.

Since we're a group of 13 and without a car, the shuttles do make a difference - but the free breakfast at the HI or HI EX may not be worth the difference in cost.

Can anyone tell me if soda/pop and water can be bought somewhere within walking distance of the hotel? That would be a big plus, especially without the use of a local hotel shuttle.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to have a clear understanding...the cruise package includes your shuttle from the airport to the hotel, then shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port, then they will pick you back up at the cruise port and take you TO the airport again? <----Even if you are not staying post-cruise with them?

I have tried several times to see how much the room rate was for our December cruise (we are flying in, not driving so we will not need to park a car or anything) and the site is not working for the cruise package portion. The regular booking is working, just not the one with the cruise package for some reason. :confused: It won't give you the option to click on the calendar to put your date. It also won't give you the option to manually enter the date. Anyone else have this problem? :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've still been trying to use their "cruise rate" part of their website with no luck. It does not work. (The regular room booking does).

So...I called them. The information I received is they will pick you up from the airport and bring you to the hotel. Then from the hotel to the cruise terminal. They will NOT pick you back up from the cruise terminal and take you to the airport. (They will only pick you up from the cruise port if you are coming back to stay with them another night).

I also found out that they have 2 cruise packages. If you are driving in and leaving the car, it seems to be $10 more (they quoted me $129 for the date we will be arriving). Or if you are only flying in and won't need to park a car then it's only $119 (which is what we will be doing).

I've still been trying to use their "cruise rate" part of their website with no luck. It does not work. (The regular room booking does).

So...I called them. The information I received is they will pick you up from the airport and bring you to the hotel. Then from the hotel to the cruise terminal. They will NOT pick you back up from the cruise terminal and take you to the airport. (They will only pick you up from the cruise port if you are coming back to stay with them another night).

I also found out that they have 2 cruise packages. If you are driving in and leaving the car, it seems to be $10 more (they quoted me $129 for the date we will be arriving). Or if you are only flying in and won't need to park a car then it's only $119 (which is what we will be doing).

I am booked there in September and we are flying in and they told me 99.00 a night and that includes airport/terminal shuttle....My friends are going in a couple wks and they are driving so they are staying there also and their price is 119.00 a night so you might want to check back with them about the price..I do know they do not have shuttle service back to airport after cruise but tax fares are 25.00 I think.....

I keep reading reviews from others about waiting for the "free" hotel shuttle to take them to the TPA airport - sometimes calling often and waiting for over an hour! :eek: A taxi from the port to TPA is a flat rate fare of $25+tip (for the cab, not per person) and takes about 10-15 minutes -- be sure you focus on your time and convenience and not just the price. ;)

• 2 years later...

While I realize this thread is old, I'm bringing it back from the dead to see if there are any other updates and suggestions about using this place still. We did not end up going to tampa (went to NOLA instead and changed our cruise) last time. However, we WILL be going to Tampa for our cruise this November and wanted to get updates.

I had originally posted in this thread and noticed that I was having trouble trying to get the "cruise package" to work back then....still today, I can not get that portion of it to work. :(

Also, I would like to know if there are any gas stations/grocery stores close by (within walking distance since we will be flying in) in order to buy sodas prior to the cruise. I did notice there was a Burger King and restaurants near by.

We are flying to Tampa as well for our November cruise... Any updates?

No personal experience, but I just checked Tripadvisor.com and it is ranked #89 out of 159 hotels in Tampa. Reviews did not look good at all. I think I would pick something else. So many other better choices.

We have the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore booked for November. Great price, great reviews and ranked #4.

No personal experience, but I just checked Tripadvisor.com and it is ranked #89 out of 159 hotels in Tampa. Reviews did not look good at all. I think I would pick something else. So many other better choices.

We have the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore booked for November. Great price, great reviews and ranked #4.

Thanks for that Hilton suggestion. I'd been searching for a "cruise package" hotel. None of them looked very good. That Hilton sounds great.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Westshore last November prior to our cruise (at that time it was the Wyndham) and are planning to stay again this November. Price was reasonable, parking was in their garage and shuttle to and from the ship was perfect! Might want to check it out too.

There's also a huge difference in pricing as well. For those of us (and only speaking for myself), I prefer to not pay to stay in the more "luxury" hotels and save my $$ for the cruise itself. I usually try to find a place for around the $100 mark (as Tahitian is) compared to Hilton, which would be closer to the $200 mark. :(

There's also a huge difference in pricing as well. For those of us (and only speaking for myself), I prefer to not pay to stay in the more "luxury" hotels and save my $$ for the cruise itself. I usually try to find a place for around the $100 mark (as Tahitian is) compared to Hilton, which would be closer to the $200 mark. :(

I agree with you 100 percent. We are ALWAYS on a tight budget. We paid $87!!! And it includes transport. :)

Actually, I was surprised at the very reasonable "cruise package" price for the Hilton. Room for 1 night, 7 days parking, cruise port shuttle both ways, free breakfast in their hotel restaurant, for two persons, $139. Some of the other less favorable hotels were more than that.